Author Topic: Old, OLD taping question  (Read 3388 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Old, OLD taping question
« on: September 21, 2017, 12:11:34 AM »
I'm not sure what made me think of this this afternoon, but I seem to remember reading years and years ago (probably in the late '90s) that at some point during the show's run, a taping of TPIR that had just gotten underway (as in, I think they were only on the first Item up for Bids) had to be scrapped because someone called in a bomb threat to Television City and the building had to be evacuated.

Does anyone else remember anything about this?  I'm curious whether or not I'm imagining it, and if I'm not, it would be interesting to know which episode it was and how the staff dealt with things once they were allowed back in the building.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Old, OLD taping question
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 01:15:32 AM »
Nothing seems to pop up from a Google search. I do recall CBS TVC suffered from a major blackout during the 1990s, that affected the Coomb's era Feud (and other shows, naturally.) The episode actually went to air, with the first round question just started, the power knocked out, and then the rest of the episode, as explained by Coombs, was picked up days later.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 08:40:32 AM »
Seems like something "The Dob" could answer 
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2017, 12:17:49 AM »
Seems like something "The Dob" could answer

He did.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2017, 12:21:49 AM by COINBOYNYC »
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2017, 12:21:29 AM »
He did.

I guess I should also post what he said!   :-D

Roger Dobkowitz: I do not remember any bomb threat...the only time I remembering evacuating the building was after we had a earthquake.

Facebook user David Gottfried: During a taping?

Roger Dobkowitz: The earthquake occurred during rehearsal.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline temptation1979ga

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The Price is Right episode trading
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2017, 09:31:38 PM »
Does anyone else remember anything about this?  I'm curious whether or not I'm imagining it, and if I'm not, it would be interesting to know which episode it was and how the staff dealt with things once they were allowed back in the building.

I could have sworn I remembered something about this as well, but when I looked through my scrapbook and saw the article below, I guess I could have been thinking about it instead. It's probably not the most reputable source (one of the supermarket checkout magazines), but it seems there was something going on that day at Bob's house.