Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/22/2017  (Read 23257 times)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/22/2017
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2017, 09:00:54 AM »
I'm impressed they still know how to use the Super Ball!! dollar signs.  I like the redesign, but I think it needs a different logo.
Still prefer the black version that lasted a month or so back in 1987.

Overheard at the producer's table:

"Hey, 3 dollars...how awesome for premiere week....perfect!"
"Wow, 2 25K winners....man, we gotta chop the designer accessories out of this show..."

Truly wonderful.
This might be the greatest post in the history of this site.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2017, 10:05:11 AM »
Fun tweet from my math teacher bud Bowen Kerins regarding the wheel spins:

FYI, the thing that happened on Price Is Right today is about a 1 in 500,000 shot. Even with 8,000 episodes, it was unlikely to ever happen.

911411108992421888[/tweet]][/url]
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2017, 12:05:25 PM »
Not quite 5 in a row, but ... ahh the memories

I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2017, 12:43:16 PM »
This might be the greatest post in the history of this site.
Too bad they're way more likely to chop off fun games - like Big 3 playings - than their sacred designer items.

Fun tweet from my math teacher bud Bowen Kerins regarding the wheel spins:

911411108992421888[/tweet]][/url]
I get 1/400k when assessing odds of the first 5 results being dollars, when naively not considering the first spinner staying on a certain amount or higher for the first dollar. So yeah, this sounds about right. Have to include binomial distribution at the end if you're considering any 2 of the 3 getting double dollars.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2017, 01:39:14 PM »
Too bad they're way more likely to chop off fun games - like Big 3 playings - than their sacred designer items.

Why do you even watch the show?  Nearly every time you post, no matter how good the show is, you only comment negatively.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: September 23, 2017, 02:03:22 PM »
The site censor chops the swear term for "a deuce" and replaces it with "designer accessories".
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #36 on: September 23, 2017, 06:20:43 PM »
Eh, this show will affect the budget a little, but I doubt we're removing 3 Strikes from the rotation yet. After all, no dollars were hit the entire rest of the week, which is a bit unusual. I'm sure they were planning on setting aside at least 40k or so for this, and this just added a couple of cars to that. Then, we had a perfect show, but with normal budget prizes and with relatively generous setups on the whole show. Nothing they can't handle. Call me back when someone wins 220k on Cliff Hangers again...

But seriously, this show happened. And a lot had to go right despite the easier setups. One Away and Any Number weren't especially EASY, they just weren't hard but more middle-of-the-road random setups that we happened to get lucky on. We had to have a competent Race Game player - that game is never a guarantee. And then of course the Wheel craziness. Just an incredible collection of circumstances coming together.

Offline rick420buzz

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: September 23, 2017, 07:02:11 PM »
The One Away prop didn't look right to me, wasn't there lights on it?

Offline Ilovepennyante

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: September 23, 2017, 09:58:46 PM »
The One Away prop didn't look right to me, wasn't there lights on it?

The lights weren't flashing when the game was won, which is unusual.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2017, 01:03:03 AM »
A perfect show, and $80,000 in one SCSD...oh, what a day! :mrgreen:

Although WTH was up with the new Double Prices prop?! Might the same thing eventually come to 1 Right Price?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: September 24, 2017, 01:47:40 AM »
Might the same thing eventually come to 1 Right Price?
Perish the thought!

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #41 on: September 24, 2017, 04:28:18 AM »
Well, this was one for the ages, wasn't it?  A perfect show with one horn in One Away and a perfect Race Game plus one of the craziest Showcase Showdowns I've ever seen (and on a week where such an outcome gives away $27,000 more than usual, to boot).  You really can't plan for this sort of thing -- sometimes, the show just winds up being nuts.

Incidentally, the timing on this episode was also insane.  Usually, when the second Showcase Showdown starts, there's somewhere around 7-9 of program time left.  Today, they had 13 minutes.  If I hadn't already known going in that something was going to be happening, I'd have darn well known something was going to be happening.

So...they redid Double Prices.  That's...um...that is one busy-looking podium.  I can't really complain too much about it, though, because outside of the Danger Price board (and, as Bojangles pointed out, the Any Number piggy bank), I think it's the first time they've used a Super Ball!! dollar sign since they painted the Big Wheel.  The Pricedown logo is pretty cool, too.

The new Design for Double Prices is Alright , nothing really stood out.

That may be the least accurate assessment of that prop possible.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline ssetta

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #42 on: September 25, 2017, 07:49:48 AM »
The historic 2nd SCSD has gone viral of course. This is just a thought, but do you think it's possible the wheel was rigged??

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #43 on: September 25, 2017, 08:35:10 AM »
The historic 2nd SCSD has gone viral of course. This is just a thought, but do you think it's possible the wheel was rigged??

Not likely. Knowing that the show has gone 45 seasons indecent free (Bar the exact bid showcase and rigging Plinko, but neither of those were the show's intentions),  the 1/400000ish odds are more likely.

Also, because all logic is broken now, we will see our first 50k Plinko winner soon, y/y  :-)
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: September 25, 2017, 09:00:52 AM »
Quote from: ssetta
...but do you think it's possible the wheel was rigged??

Anything is possible, I suppose, but my question would be a simple one:  Why??

The show has enjoyed a pretty spotless record for 45+ seasons.  Hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash and prizes are given away every week, and a few times a year, hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash OR prizes are offered up and/or given away in a single game.  Price gives away literally millions of dollars in cash and prizes every season.

If the show was caught rigging the wheel, the repercussions would be huge.  Despite being illegal to rig a game show, the negative publicity would cripple the show's popularity, and it could conceivably force Price off the air.

All this risk for what?  $80K on the big wheel?
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.