Author Topic: CBS may be selling TV City  (Read 4855 times)

Offline WhammyPower788

• I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
CBS may be selling TV City
« on: September 28, 2017, 07:06:40 AM »
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 07:08:47 AM by WhammyPower788 »
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: CBS may be selling TV City
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2017, 10:53:53 PM »
CBS could lease part of it back from the new owner if they do decide to sell. Several local TV stations are going this route.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: September 29, 2017, 02:45:45 PM »
 :headbang:
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2017, 05:21:55 PM »
That 80,000 on the Wheel really must have taken a bigger toll on the finances than we know

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2017, 08:13:27 PM »
Cbs did buy out Australian 10 network a few months ago. I wonder if it was worth it.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 12:05:35 AM »
Local KABC report, featuring none other than Bob Barker making some facetious suggestions:

http://abc7.com/business/cbs-television-city-draws-speculation-about-potential-sale/2470023/

CBS could lease part of it back from the new owner if they do decide to sell. Several local TV stations are going this route.

At the very least, I seriously doubt that Price would move to Studio Center.  James Corden, maybe.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 07:19:33 AM »
That 80,000 on the Wheel really must have taken a bigger toll on the finances than we know

Hmmmm....um, no.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 03:41:04 PM »
This is not going to bode well...someone needs to get ahold of the complex by phone and see what in the world's going on.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 04:32:29 PM »
This is not going to bode well...someone needs to get ahold of the complex by phone and see what in the world's going on.
Why do you think they would discuss a potential business transaction, which hasn't even occurred yet, with just a random person calling them? 

If you think CBS needs to sell Television City because TPiR gave away $80,000 on one day, you really don't understand how basically anything works.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 10:07:58 PM »

What's not to bode well?

CBS knows good and well their financials, and what they would be looking for in any potential transaction. They have, what, four of their five daytime programs recording there? They're going to make sure they have their bases covered. There's nothing to bode ill in a business transaction.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #11 on: October 01, 2017, 12:20:09 AM »
Personally, I don't care what CBS does to the site, as long as Studio 33 is still the Bob Barker Studio, and TPIR is still taped there.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: October 01, 2017, 01:29:27 AM »

Then how come the several $100,000+ wins in the last couple years (especially the $210,000 win from last season) didn't do that same thing

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 01, 2017, 11:08:49 AM »
Two questions I'm wondering: One, on a percentage basis, what would be the split between CBS productions and others who presently use TVC?  I'm curious as to how the revenue works for this.  The Late Late Show is apparently the only show owned by CBS taped at TVC.  There is, of course, Price and others not owned by the network but taped there, and then there's all the shows that are taped there who rent the facility.  I suppose the present value of the cash CBS could get for the land rather than continuing to collect rents would make a prospective deal very lucrative for the correct price, especially when weighed against the costs of running the facility.

Two, the LA times article linked mentions a "construction boom" in Los Angeles.  Perhaps someone who's been on the ground there more recently and more frequently than me can enlighten me as to what's driving this boom.  When you get to be a city as big as Los Angeles in a high-tax jurisdiction as California, I'm curious as to what gets construction booming, especially in older areas of the city.

Cbs did buy out Australian 10 network a few months ago. I wonder if it was worth it.

If that is to suggest that purchase put a strain on finances that they're now looking to sell TVC as a result, I would say that it is highly unlikely the two events are correlated.

Personally, I don't care what CBS does to the site, as long as Studio 33 is still the Bob Barker Studio, and TPIR is still taped there.

Except there is the chance that may not happen.  Similar deals with other studio complexes appear to have retained some of their facilities, so I gather the studio complex is not going anywhere, but if a new owner wants to do something else with the land, then that's their perogative.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.