Author Topic: OBIT: Monty Hall  (Read 7367 times)

Offline WhammyPower788

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • I'm on a horse.
    • Game Show Videos
OBIT: Monty Hall
« on: September 30, 2017, 05:48:38 PM »
Visit GameShowVideos.com for lots of game show clips!

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Re: OBIT: Monty Hall
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2017, 06:01:47 PM »
He's happily reunited with his wife now.
Rest in Peace.

Surely will be mentioned on the intro to Monday's Let's Make a Deal.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2017, 06:15:05 PM »
And I'm sure there will be a LMaD marathon on Buzzr in the coming days. Monty was the perfect host for the show and a great personality. RIP Monty.

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2017, 07:15:12 PM »
A giant in the game show and television business for sure. RIP Monty.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2017, 07:16:27 PM »
RIP.

Brian

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2017, 07:43:21 PM »
Wow...that is really shocking. RIP to television's most famous deal maker. :-(

Definitely agree that the show will air some tribute to him next Monday or sometime next week.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2017, 07:48:25 PM »
He'll be dealing in the great curtains in the sky now. RIP, Monty.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2017, 07:57:05 PM »
Monty had an unseen hand in bringing The Price Is Right to TV. When Bob Stewart was shopping his idea around, in 1956 Monty brokered a meeting for him with NBC. A true icon of the genre was Monty—I first saw him when I was five on Video Village.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2017, 08:04:22 PM »
wonderful tribute from Roger on Facebook:

Monty Hall was one of my very first benefactors when I first left home to look for a job in television. I had sent him a copy of my thesis and he invited me to meet with him. I met with him backstage at Lets Make a deal. He listened to my story and was extremely gracious to me. He regretted not having a position for, but gave me advice and encouragement. Over the years we met several times. Monty was one of a kind...he was a true host that knew how to create a show and produce it. But, most importantly, he was a gentlemen and a extremely nice person. Hollywood lost a wonderful person today.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2017, 08:07:30 PM »
Given the fact that his wife of 70 years Marilyn passed away in June, it sadly comes as no surprise to hear about Mr. Hall's passing.

Monty raised I believe one billion dollars for various charities throughout his accomplished life.

I take comfort at the many decades of fun and excitement that Monty and his creations brought to our lives and continue to bring to our lives today.  I also take comfort that Monty did not have to live without being with Marilyn for very long, as she just passed this past June 5th.

Deepest condolences to Joanna Gleason and to all of Monty's family members and very close friends.

I hope Wayne and the gang give a very loving and fitting tribute to Monty.  I also hope either GSN or Buzzr will follow suit.

This makes me appreciate the last two remaining currently working emcees from my youth, Alex Trebek and Pat Sajak, along with Vanna too.

Monty was a class act, except it was no act, he truly was class.  I had the great good fortune several years ago to listen to his entire life story thanks to a series of youtube videos, talking about his childhood, the tremendous struggles he and his family had in Canada, and how one very kind and generous man helped Monty with his education costs, and that man told Monty he had two conditions, one was to keep an A average which Monty did, and the other was that Monty would do the same for someone else some day.  Monty most assuredly did that and then some.

He was one of the finest and most generous humanitarians this world had to offer.  We were all blessed by his presence, and it shall live on, not merely in reruns on Buzzr, but forever in our hearts.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2017, 08:44:36 PM »
RIP good sir.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2017, 09:21:15 PM »
Being a fellow Pegger (of course he was born in Winnipeg) I'm definitely heartbroken and saddened that he passed. My condolences to his family there. RIP Monty Hall.  :cry:

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2017, 10:09:27 PM »
Rest in peace, Monty.
(sorry about the unfitting image)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2017, 10:11:29 PM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2017, 11:17:25 PM »
That Monty is a legend is unquestionable.  He gave the many versions of Let's Make a Deal he was directly connected with a strong burst of energy; it's probably safe to say the format could not have gotten off the ground with him.  He also nailed his other projects well; his version of Split Second is a very underrated show.  We'll always remember him. 

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2017, 12:16:52 AM »
And Bob Barker just outlived another fellow gameshow legend...

Monty Hall was one of the most underrated hosts on TV, compared to such luminaries as Bob, Richard Dawson, Gene Rayburn and Bill Cullen. Besides LMAD, he more than held his own on other shows like Split Second and Beat the Clock.

I think it's great to see Wayne Brady carry on his legacy on the current version of LMAD, and I'm sure they'll have a tribute to him sometime next week, even though his show was never aired on CBS.

R.I.P. Monty Hall