Author Topic: OBIT: Monty Hall  (Read 7371 times)

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: OBIT: Monty Hall
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2017, 01:25:20 AM »
And Bob Barker just outlived another fellow gameshow legend...

Technically he didn't.  He needs to live past ~96 years old (Monty's age) to actually outlive him.  I imagine that's not the point though.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 01, 2017, 08:14:16 AM »
And Bob Barker just outlived another fellow gameshow legend...

No, he hasn't.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #17 on: October 01, 2017, 08:06:24 PM »
Monty was born in Winnipeg and got his start on Canadian radio and TV before making it big in the US.  He is only one of three game show hosts to have a star on both the Hollywood Walk of Fame in LA and Canada's Walk of Fame in Toronto - the other two being Howie Mandel (DoND) and Alex Trebek (Jeopardy!)

RIP to TV's Big Dealer
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: October 01, 2017, 09:10:35 PM »
RIP Monty. As another poster noted, he was a pivotal figure in getting the original TPiR on the air, but also had indirect influences on the current version as well--the picking of contestants from the audience, the variety of different mini-games that changed from day-to-day, and the ending 2-player Showcase (a la the "Big Deal Of The Day") were all clearly inspired by LMAD. Additionally, the retired pricing game Barkers Marker$ (later Make Your Mark) was a variation on the famous Monty Hall probability puzzle.

Offline david1964

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: October 02, 2017, 01:05:39 AM »
I would like to think that Bill Cullen, Allen Ludden, Gene Rayburn, Richard Dawson, Dick Clark, and all other game show hosts that have left us greeted Monty to their club.  My condolences to his family. 

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #20 on: October 05, 2017, 10:08:06 AM »
RIP Monty. As another poster noted, he was a pivotal figure in getting the original TPiR on the air, but also had indirect influences on the current version as well--the picking of contestants from the audience, the variety of different mini-games that changed from day-to-day, and the ending 2-player Showcase (a la the "Big Deal Of The Day") were all clearly inspired by LMAD. Additionally, the retired pricing game Barkers Marker$ (later Make Your Mark) was a variation on the famous Monty Hall probability puzzle.

I'm not sure how you can say that the 2-player showcase was "clearly inspired" by LMAD. It may have been, but the original show had one showcase to be big on by four contestants; narrowing it down to one showcase each for two final contestants and offering a choice advantage to the best player of the day may have been a logical change that had nothing to do with LMAD.

Also, picking contestants out of the studio audience was happening long before LMAD happened. Audience participation shows started back in radio.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2017, 12:49:22 PM »
I'm not sure how you can say that the 2-player showcase was "clearly inspired" by LMAD. It may have been, but the original show had one showcase to be big on by four contestants; narrowing it down to one showcase each for two final contestants and offering a choice advantage to the best player of the day may have been a logical change that had nothing to do with LMAD.

You mean the original "Price is Right," I'm guessing. Nonetheless I'm inclined to agree, and note it might have been only superficial at best.

Also, picking contestants out of the studio audience was happening long before LMAD happened. Audience participation shows started back in radio.

I think one of the earliest audience participation shows was "Truth or Consequences" ... and I'm sure it continued with shows like "People Are Funny" ... having randomly selected people do different randomly-selected stunts.

Brian

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2017, 09:38:05 PM »
Quote from: CBSpromoman
You mean the original "Price is Right," I'm guessing. Nonetheless I'm inclined to agree, and note it might have been only superficial at best.

Yes, I did. I don't think there was ever a time LMAD, even in its earliest seasons, had multiple contestants bidding on a "showcase," though LMAD made its debut several years before I made mine.

Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: October 06, 2017, 05:06:40 PM »
Just as an FYI, they started the show today (10/6) with Wayne doing a talk about Monty, and then had several references and clips throughout the show of old shows, both the original and times that Monty had been on the current show.

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: October 21, 2017, 07:12:59 PM »
In the very first Barker episode, Connie said "I don't trust you." to Bob during the showcase round.  I suspect Connie thought she had to give up her fur coat and car in order to play for a showcase, similar to how LMAD contestants had to give up what they had previously won.  Understandable given it was the very first episode of the current format of "Price".

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 21, 2017, 09:47:51 PM »
In the very first Barker episode, Connie said "I don't trust you." to Bob during the showcase round.  I suspect Connie thought she had to give up her fur coat and car in order to play for a showcase, similar to how LMAD contestants had to give up what they had previously won.  Understandable given it was the very first episode of the current format of "Price".

Given that the audience only knew Bob from Truth or Consequences, it seems quite natural that stage contestants had some apprehensions over the new format...which they had not seen at all before then.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker