Author Topic: Behind-the-Scenes Video - Bob's Last Show  (Read 2305 times)

Offline SuperSweeper

• 1/11/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Behind-the-Scenes Video - Bob's Last Show
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2017, 09:11:09 AM »
What a find!  Thanks for sharing.  I have often wanted to see a walkabout around Studio 33 to, in a sense, put all the pictures of the many views we've seen together.  I don't recall ever getting such a good view of the area next to audience right as in this video (and apparently there's an exit outside too!).

What really stuck me was the final question Bob answered in the end about how the audience members were the ones speaking up and wishing that no changes take place, that the next host would even keep the corded microphone.  You can talk about ratings; you can talk about demographics; you can talk about all the things they have done since Bob's retirement that have taken place, but as Bob said, an essential key to the show's enduring success has been its steadiness.  Evidently CBS has found a new audience with The Price Is Right as it is now, but I still maintain there would be a far better Price Is Right on the air today if they continued with the same look and feel that brought the show along for 35 years.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2017, 01:02:49 PM »
Somewhat ironic how there's so many signs requesting silence around the studio, and the show is known for bring so loud, that it can be hear from other studios.  :oldlol:
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
What I found most fascinating (and sad, really) was the sense of dread the staff all seemed to express about their future. Rumors were swirling around that time - overhauling the set, shortening the format, etc. And it’s apparent the staff was worried. Lots of comments about “might be the last time I get to do this.” Very interesting.

Towards the beginning of the video you hear the first other staff member you see in the barren studio make a comment “this could have been such an incredible day.” It’s a pity the momentus occasion was overshadowed by uncertainty about the future.