Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/9/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Dream Car Week - Day I)  (Read 11939 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/9/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Dream Car Week: Day I)
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2017, 06:37:04 PM »
As already mentioned, historic day today. Now (since "the ice has been broken"), how about having autos as the items up for bids and having typical one-bid prizes (watches, tablets, dishwashers, etc.) as the main game prizes? As perhaps an April Fool's Day theme?

Hmmm.... after some thought, there would probably be a lot of one-upping on the bids from Contestant's Row if this happened. No fun. It would be historic though. :)

Anyway, a LFAT of Price would have noticed the "51", "52" and "53" in Money Game today and would have gotten the first two digits of the Range Rover price, at least. I noticed that.

And c'mon. This is the week. Let's see 10 Chances for a dream car. :-)
« Last Edit: October 09, 2017, 06:42:35 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 06:53:32 PM »
I don't usually watch the show.  Just not enough time in the day, but I had to go back and check this one out out of curiosity and "buzz". Some thoughts:
Drew's entrance with a car.  That's pretty cool.  But then there is clearly a stopdown to remove the car before the first one-bid. Thinking about this some...how would it go over if Drew entered with the dream car and made it clear the first one-bid winner would be playing for it?  Thoughts on this? 
Money Game: this game has become so formulaic anymore, it's somewhat refreshing to see if played for a car you really need to price.  Though as many have pointed out, the staff tried to point you towards the set of plausible starting pair of digits.
IUFB3: That was pretty neat.  It almost felt like the Cullen Price is Right with the seriousness of the bidding.  This is a fun event...just not too often, please.  The bringing in the car with a Plinko reveal?  Very creative...nice work Price team!
Gas Money: you certainly can't use the lesser dollar amounts here, and I feel they struck a good balance with the dollar choices.  Heck, they probably could have even scaled it back a touch.  This game, along with Temptation, thrive on getting contestants to really think about the choice.  And Drew really explained the implications well.  Not always time to milk that out. Robert! Your wife loves you! For good sakes stop!!!  Great segment.

Lots of near entry points for the staff to use in the future.  Really good job by the Price staff. 
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 07:05:55 PM »
And c'mon. This is the week. Let's see 10 Chances for a dream car. :-)

I'd like to see Gridlock

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 07:47:08 PM »
I didn’t like Money Game being a Dream Car game. I felt like it was impossible to win because nearly every number seemed like a correct choice. I wonder if they planned on playing 3 Strikes and instead replaced it with Money Game at the last moment. Hopefully this doesn’t happen again.

Also what did they put in the showcases that caused them to be jacked up to over $45,000; bars of gold?

I seem to remember gold bars as a part of prize packages at one time

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 08:49:52 PM »
This show was nuts in a bad way. Manufactured OMG moments to the extreme. Whereas Sept 23 was nuts in a great way, because the OMG moments were all genuine.

Whoever thought Money was easy should be fired. The front two are not obvious once it's a big luxury car, even with the usual three clustered choices. Not surprised at all this was wiped out. It's also just silly to hold the mega Dream Car until PG5 yet try to start off the week with another Dream Car too.

But, that's what they decided to go with, because they obviously wanted Gas to go exactly how it did and get buried within this show while giving away a "cheap" Dream Car early on. The cash was so ridiculous and the ARP was actually an extreme amount too. Just can't help but laugh at this inept producing.

While a car OB isn't exactly the most unjustifiable thing they've pulled, it's something that should have happened on like, the 8000th show OB1. Not a random Dream Car OB3. This is like the 6th or 7th Dream Car week? It's not that special anymore.

Showcases were also insane today (see CSS), but that's a twice a month occurrence anyways so YMMV
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 11:23:47 PM »
This show was nuts in a bad way. Manufactured OMG moments to the extreme. Whereas Sept 23 was nuts in a great way, because the OMG moments were all genuine.

There's absolutely nothing wrong with the show trying to manufacture big moments. Back in Bob/Roger's day, you didn't have the multitudes of on-demand media options you do now. Mike and Co. have to get people's attention somehow. Besides, the show still manages to make a big deal over the spontaneous moments that still happen (See: $1.00 Three-Way Tie, Big Wheel).

But, that's what they decided to go with, because they obviously wanted Gas to go exactly how it did and get buried within this show while giving away a "cheap" Dream Car early on. The cash was so ridiculous and the ARP was actually an extreme amount too. Just can't help but laugh at this inept producing.

Yeah, the producing is so inept, it's kept the show on for almost ten years after Roger got the boot. Totally inept.  :roll:

And yes, it's obvious they wanted the bailout in Gas. The show can't afford to give away every single Dream Car. But it still worked out. The contestant got a nice chunk of change, and the show got people to tune in. That's what they're aiming for. I'm willing to bet, though, that they will give away at least one big Dream Car this week.

While a car OB isn't exactly the most unjustifiable thing they've pulled, it's something that should have happened on like, the 8000th show OB1. Not a random Dream Car OB3. This is like the 6th or 7th Dream Car week? It's not that special anymore.
By that same logic, the show itself isn't special anymore, since it's been on for 46 years now. Might as well just call it quits.

Offline magic#92

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 12:39:57 AM »
The "Dream Car Week" logo reminds me of the old racing video game, "Cruisn' World".

Today's Money Game setup was just difficult enough given the car offered.  Although, I would have rather seen a better car game to start out the week.

Today's IUFB guaranteed someone would win a car today.  I don't think that has happened since Double Bullseye was around back in 1972!

Interesting note about the SCSD cars:  they are brought out before the big wheel is set up.  I was at the taping the first week they did it, and the audience was a little confused about the car rolling out on stage until Drew could do his explanation.

Robert made the right decision in Gas Money today; that's a lot of money to bail out with.

I was expecting a car behind those prizes shown before Bullseye, as they were automotive-related.  A little disappointing, if you ask me.

Showcases:
$34,250 (-$16,355)
$38,250 (-$9,506)

Prediction for this week: Danger Price is played for 4 cars, which would make Take Two the oldest game not played for a car.
This is Wilford Brimley reminding you to help control your diabeetus.  Check your blood sugar and check it often.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 07:29:50 AM »
There's absolutely nothing wrong with the show trying to manufacture big moments. Back in Bob/Roger's day, you didn't have the multitudes of on-demand media options you do now. Mike and Co. have to get people's attention somehow. Besides, the show still manages to make a big deal over the spontaneous moments that still happen (See: $1.00 Three-Way Tie, Big Wheel).

Indeed. Context matters. Audiences and preferences change. In and of itself, 10 years on the air is no small feat in today's world of fickle tastes and infinite media. Trying to establish your own identity in transition from a 35-year track record is no small challenge, either. Put all of those factors together, and you have a sizable accomplishment.

And had they offered the car for bids on, say, a nice round number show or milestone season premiere, they'd still be accused of manufacturing something instead of letting the "magic" of the day be spontaneous and natural. Darned if you do, darned if you don't.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 01:39:45 PM »
And yes, it's obvious they wanted the bailout in Gas. The show can't afford to give away every single Dream Car. But it still worked out. The contestant got a nice chunk of change, and the show got people to tune in.

Honest question: Are more people tuning in? Is CBS promoting this week during its other daytime programming (or even during last week's TPIR episodes)? Because I don't see anything on CBS.com's Price Is Right page. I don't see anything on priceisright.com. All I see are some recent tweets from TPIR (that CBS Daytime retweeted) and a YouTube video with only 1,600 views. Heck, there was some confusion here about when Dream Car Week was going to air -- and if any viewers should have already known the answer to that, it's the fanbase.

For a week where the show is going to spend roughly $200,000 to $300,000 more than a typical week, are they getting anything for it?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 02:13:22 PM »
I've seen on TV promotions of Dream Car Week this week, including a spoiled piece of one of the next 3 shows.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 03:54:44 PM »
Dwight may have a PhD in Plinko, but he sure flunked Money Game.  Holy wow did that ever not go the way it was supposed to.

The third Item up for Bids was kind of mind-blowing.  I think that's the first time they've ever had a valid reason (as opposed to just incompetent bidding) to use the five-digit format of Contestants' Row.

I'm not sure what was crazier about Gas Money -- that Robert made a second pick or that they actually appeared to want the game won if they ended up with a contestant who wouldn't quit.

We had our biggest Bailout in Gas Money ever.

Given that it's not normally even possible to bail with more than $9,000, I'm not sure why this in and of itself is supposed to be noteworthy.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 04:47:25 PM »
The third Item up for Bids was kind of mind-blowing.  I think that's the first time they've ever had a valid reason (as opposed to just incompetent bidding) to use the five-digit format of Contestants' Row.
And in my view, one of only two valid reasons I could see of using it (the other potentially being if they wanted to give away a five-digit trip on a Big Money Week episode).

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 05:58:38 PM »
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe that a Gas Money win + either a Showcase or $25K on the wheel would have made him the biggest winner in daytime history.

Offline dunph

• In Contestant's Row
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/9/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Dream Car Week - Day I)
« Reply #28 on: October 13, 2017, 06:16:37 PM »
First, I never thought they would put a car up for bids.  I feel like the old "The Price Is Right", before Bob Barker hosted, and Bill Cullen did. Either as the 1st item, 2nd item or the last item.  I can always remember Bill saying, "You are bidding for a whatever at its FOB delivered price, Detroit, Michigan".

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/9/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Dream Car Week - Day I)
« Reply #29 on: October 22, 2017, 03:35:32 PM »
is the first time of history that IUFB plays for a CAR???