Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/10/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Dream Car Week - Day II)  (Read 14473 times)

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/10/2017 (TPiR Season 46 Dream Car Week - Day II)
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2017, 04:56:02 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about this season right?

Yeah , I forgot to put in the word season.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2017, 05:03:06 PM »
What need did CBS have to produce primetime specials for Survivor, the Amazing Race, and Big Brother?

Each of those is a primetime show
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2017, 06:20:06 PM »
Meh... Gridlock is ok for a mid-priced car, but playing for a $97,000 vehicle, it lacked the drama I would have prefered. 5 Price Tags would have been better. That being said, I also would have prefered Clock Game instead of Secret X for the Hyundai. 

I agree, Gridlock lacks the drama to make the high priced car win super special.

I agree with both of you on the Gridlock win today. And Secret "X" (definitely not one of my favorite games) seemed to me like it was set up for a win.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2017, 07:42:43 PM »
Secret "X" (definitely not one of my favorite games) seemed to me like it was set up for a win.
How do you set up Secret X for a win, given that there's no way to guarantee a win in that game?

Now Pick-A-Pair, that had "set up for a win" written all over it.

Question for the TPIR boffins: where does the $97,950 Lexus rank in terms of the most expensive cars won?  I remember the $157,300 Audi from the Best of...2013?  Was it that long ago?  But besides that, have their been any more expensive cars (not non-cars, like the $210,000 Cliff Hangers win) won on the daytime version?

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2017, 08:08:39 PM »
A $139,000 Mercedes was won in Golden Road and a $120,000 Aston Martin in Spelling Bee back in February of last year. That makes this car the 4th most expensive won.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 10, 2017, 10:05:50 PM »
Couldn't help but feel that winning a car as a one-bid should have had the main theme accompany it instead of Walking.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: October 10, 2017, 10:07:42 PM »
How do you set up Secret X for a win, given that there's no way to guarantee a win in that game?

By putting the "X" in the middle when they are trying to give away a car, when typically it would be placed on the bottom for the hardest setup.

Interestingly, the bottom was also left open today.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #22 on: October 10, 2017, 10:26:35 PM »
By putting the "X" in the middle when they are trying to give away a car, when typically it would be placed on the bottom for the hardest setup.

What makes a hidden X in the bottom a harder setup than a hidden X in the top?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 10:30:23 PM »
Golden Road
Plinko
Gridlock
Triple Play
Pay the Rent
3 Strikes
Then Richards would officially have jumped the shark within a shark. As much as I wish that this is a good idea, the timing would be impossible to do that.

Anyways, can we just appreciate this 5/6 show from Car Week? Well, the official YouTube channel called it that, so I am going to refer to the rest of the week as Car Week :)

Someone scold me for thinking in the readout that they played Money Game again for a Dream Car. Nice little win by itself, but as a whole I would have preferred Any Number, because the 9, 5, and 0 were all in the price of the car.

Yeah… I was going to trace the prices in both showcases, but a FERRARI TEST DRIVE? How am I supposed to price that? I don’t even know if I should even count the three wheel motorcycle. I only knew it was AT LEAST $20k because once a 3 wheeled motorcycle was the Big Deal on LMAD for Nerd Day… I think. Not going into the chart, because a motorcycle isn’t a car. :P

SC2: Um… Element E16 is a common boat that shows up every two or three production weeks. Quick google and playing with numbers gets me $16,189, so I will lowball this time for the high of the Focus as $17,160. From building a S Sedan, I get $17,650 for the car, making it the closest I have ever gotten double checking.

Depending on who you trust, it was $159,940 to $160,430 won of car today.

And because this popped up while I was typing this:

Basically game theory. A contestant is almost guaranteed the middle slot, and it either is the top or bottom as a second choice, and I think statistically more contestants choose the top.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 11:06:11 PM »
I don't know about Drew being the weak link in Clock Game...Laurie got herself confused a couple of times during the game.  She's kind of lucky she won.

I'm not sure what the better moment was today -- the end of Gridlock! or the end of Blank Check.  Gridlock! was exciting as hell, but Blank Check was just funny.

Incidentally, this isn't the first time they've forgotten to put a new check on the board -- it happened once before at the end of Season 28.  That time, Janice ended up tearing the thing in half.

I'm sorry, but that "motorcycle" in the first showcase looked like somebody chopped off the back half of the Batmobile. :P

Secret "X" has been played for a Car more times ( 2 ) than 8 other Car games Combined ( 8 )

Huh? :confused:

(Also, for the love of God, lay off the shift key and the space bar.)

By putting the secret X in the middle.  It doesn't guarantee anything, but it certainly makes a win more likely.

That said, by car standards, even this was a fairly generous setup -- for a long time, it was always on the bottom when the game was played for a car.

Contestants are least likely to cover the bottom.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: October 11, 2017, 12:46:42 AM »
Also, I know this isn't 100% related to the show itself, but does anyone know the name of the cue used for the Lexus?  In case you weren't paying attention to that cue, here it is:
It's showed up like a million times now, including the Ferrari from 2013 Big Money Week and the one from spring 2017 Dream Car Week, the Cadillac CT6 from 3 Strikes back in October last year ( etc.

I have a sneaking suspicion that it's a cue from Killer Tracks considering how many songs they make that the show uses, but I don't know for sure.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 12:56:47 AM by tpir7215 »

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 11, 2017, 08:43:47 AM »
Huh? :confused:

I already mentioned to someone in the thread that I forgot to add the word Season to my Statement.

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: October 11, 2017, 12:04:32 PM »
By putting the secret X in the middle.  It doesn't guarantee anything, but it certainly makes a win more likely.

Specifically, there are three ways to win with the X in the middle - top left-middle-bottom right; middle row all the way across; bottom left-middle-top right. There's only one way to win across the top row and only one across the bottom row. And as Steve said, people are more likely to cover the top than the bottom. (Is that just psychology?)

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 06:09:00 PM »
And as Steve said, people are more likely to cover the top than the bottom. (Is that just psychology?)

Top row of the board is at eye level and is quite comfortable for contestants to reach. Bottom row requires them to stoop down.
Probably the same reason the bottom row of holes on Punch-A-Bunch rarely get punched, aside from the corners.

Sort of like how grocery stores encourage people to buy name-brand products by putting on them shelves at eye level, and the cheaper generic brands on the bottom shelf.
« Last Edit: October 11, 2017, 06:11:25 PM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #29 on: October 12, 2017, 05:36:03 PM »
I'm not sure what the better moment was today -- the end of Gridlock! or the end of Blank Check.  Gridlock! was exciting as hell, but Blank Check was just funny.

Indeed so, as I rewound the DVR recording several times-- that Check Game moment was hilarious, at least to me.