Author Topic: Gallery Game vs. Pick-a-Number  (Read 2036 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Gallery Game vs. Pick-a-Number
« on: October 11, 2017, 06:05:05 PM »
Granted, Gallery Game wasn't the greatest game in the world. But why did it not even survive a full season while Pick-a-Number--which is essentially the same concept, but even more boring--remains to this day?

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Gallery Game vs. Pick-a-Number
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 06:13:10 PM »
Pick-A-Number has better chrome?

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 06:15:54 PM »
From Roger's Facebook:

"After Gallery Game premiered, Bob did his best to get the most out of it. However, he later felt the game was not working very well...Although, I found the game cute, others found it not-cute. Bob then decided that he didn't want to play the game anymore."

"Pick a Number was not a replacement for Gallery Game. Pick a Number was created at a time when the show desperately needed short games (we were losing program time to commercials!). Pick a Number is not specifically a original game (it's sort of a mini Golden Road) however, we really needed something to play fast."

Also helps that Pick-a-number doesn't have any electrical components and is easy to set up, so it makes a good last-minute replacement if another game breaks down.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 07:04:26 PM »
Thanks for posting Roger's statement about Gallery Game's retirement. I wondered what the official reason for its retirement was. Wasn't Pick a Number's 1st playing as a replacement game on the 4,000th show? I remember it got very few playings during the last few seasons with Bob hosting, and it's only been during Drew's tenure that it's gotten a lot more playings. Has Roger ever said anything on why it wasn't played that often compared to other 1-prize games?

Gallery Game had its charm and was a little more interesting than Pick a Number, but it was pretty corny. I like Pick a Number's correct number reveal, but otherwise it's just a dull mini Golden Road.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 07:58:13 PM »
     Also, they had to make all those paintings.

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 08:21:03 PM »
Wasn't Gallery Game also only won once?

Online TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 08:44:07 PM »
Wasn't Gallery Game also only won once?

Quick google tells me it had a 9-15 record.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 08:54:37 PM »
Ah ok. I felt like I had heard somewhere that the win/loss record played a part in it's retirement but I couldn't believe that out of 24 plays it only had one win.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 10:32:54 PM »
Gallery Game was also pretty limited by the "partial number" concept. There are only so many ways to display a partial number while leaving a couple of choices but not too many.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 02:17:29 AM »
Wasn't Pick a Number's 1st playing as a replacement game

No.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 03:53:45 PM »
That was the rumor at one time though I recall. I had a feeling it was dispelled but I thought I'd bring it up for clarification.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 02:29:53 AM »
That was the rumor at one time though I recall. I had a feeling it was dispelled but I thought I'd bring it up for clarification.

You recall incorrectly.  We'd once inaccurately stated that Pick-a-Number was usually played as a replacement game, but that was never said about its debut.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.