Author Topic: Gallery Game vs. Pick-a-Number  (Read 820 times)

Offline SamJ93

• Walking the Golden Road
Gallery Game vs. Pick-a-Number
« on: October 11, 2017, 05:05:05 PM »
Granted, Gallery Game wasn't the greatest game in the world. But why did it not even survive a full season while Pick-a-Number--which is essentially the same concept, but even more boring--remains to this day?

Offline Gerald78

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Gallery Game vs. Pick-a-Number
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2017, 05:13:10 PM »
Pick-A-Number has better chrome?

Offline gamesurf

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2017, 05:15:54 PM »
From Roger's Facebook:

"After Gallery Game premiered, Bob did his best to get the most out of it. However, he later felt the game was not working very well...Although, I found the game cute, others found it not-cute. Bob then decided that he didn't want to play the game anymore."

"Pick a Number was not a replacement for Gallery Game. Pick a Number was created at a time when the show desperately needed short games (we were losing program time to commercials!). Pick a Number is not specifically a original game (it's sort of a mini Golden Road) however, we really needed something to play fast."

Also helps that Pick-a-number doesn't have any electrical components and is easy to set up, so it makes a good last-minute replacement if another game breaks down.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2017, 06:04:26 PM »
Thanks for posting Roger's statement about Gallery Game's retirement. I wondered what the official reason for its retirement was. Wasn't Pick a Number's 1st playing as a replacement game on the 4,000th show? I remember it got very few playings during the last few seasons with Bob hosting, and it's only been during Drew's tenure that it's gotten a lot more playings. Has Roger ever said anything on why it wasn't played that often compared to other 1-prize games?

Gallery Game had its charm and was a little more interesting than Pick a Number, but it was pretty corny. I like Pick a Number's correct number reveal, but otherwise it's just a dull mini Golden Road.

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 06:58:13 PM »
     Also, they had to make all those paintings.

Offline tpiradam

• Double Showcase Winner
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2017, 07:21:03 PM »
Wasn't Gallery Game also only won once?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• In Contestant's Row
  • Remembering when the Zero Rule didn't exist
« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2017, 07:44:07 PM »
Wasn't Gallery Game also only won once?

Quick google tells me it had a 9-15 record.
My favorite game is Clock Game and my least favorite is Switcheroo, because reasons.

Reminding you about 1932... when Richard Dawson was born. I will remember $19.32, even after he Checked-Out. Feud will never be the same without you.

Offline tpiradam

• Double Showcase Winner
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2017, 07:54:37 PM »
Ah ok. I felt like I had heard somewhere that the win/loss record played a part in it's retirement but I couldn't believe that out of 24 plays it only had one win.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2017, 09:32:54 PM »
Gallery Game was also pretty limited by the "partial number" concept. There are only so many ways to display a partial number while leaving a couple of choices but not too many.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #9 on: October 12, 2017, 01:17:29 AM »
Wasn't Pick a Number's 1st playing as a replacement game

No.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2017, 02:53:45 PM »
That was the rumor at one time though I recall. I had a feeling it was dispelled but I thought I'd bring it up for clarification.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2017, 01:29:53 AM »
That was the rumor at one time though I recall. I had a feeling it was dispelled but I thought I'd bring it up for clarification.

You recall incorrectly.  We'd once inaccurately stated that Pick-a-Number was usually played as a replacement game, but that was never said about its debut.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.