Author Topic: New Pricing Game Idea  (Read 1853 times)

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
New Pricing Game Idea
« on: October 14, 2017, 06:02:41 PM »
So I just came up with this car game called Trace Your Steps yesterday: there's a 3 x 3 grid of unique digits, and the contestant must trace a path that gives the price of the car by sliding/dragging their finger/hand across the touch screen (a la Double Cross).  This is similar to Pathfinder in that the same number cannot be used twice, but unlike Pathfinder, diagonals are allowed, and the starting number is not given (i.e., the contestant must choose the starting point of their path).  Paths are never completely one direction, so there must be at least one turn in the path.  Every time the contestant touches a number, it goes up on a display above the game field.  Sliding their hand/finger the opposite direction undoes that selection and the digit is cleared.  When the contestant is finished, they lift their hand off the screen, and the parts that are correct up to the first mistake are revealed, but all digits thereafter are ignored (for example, correct price is $12,345; contestant chooses $12,635, but 5 isn't revealed even though it's in correct spot because it occurred after the first mistake--in this case, the 6 as the third number instead of 3). 

The contestant has 3 chances (all free, but no additional possible chances) to win the game.  An incorrect path after the third chance loses the game, and the correct path is revealed on the board, with the contestant's path darkened/partially faded.  The correct price is also revealed on the display.  A correct path at any time wins the game.

So what do you guys think of this game?

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
Re: New Pricing Game Idea
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2017, 12:28:12 PM »
So, basically like "Boggle" with numbers.

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2017, 02:13:56 PM »
So, basically like "Boggle" with numbers.

Sorta, except there’s only one correct answer and you have three chances to get it

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #3 on: October 21, 2017, 05:52:51 PM »
So, how would you make the game distinct from Double Cross?  The game itself is unique, but the method in which it's played is highly similar.
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2017, 08:39:23 PM »
So, how would you make the game distinct from Double Cross?  The game itself is unique, but the method in which it's played is highly similar.

Without the touch screen, I'm not sure it would quite have that "tracing" or "drawing" element.

I guess though that said "tracing"/"drawing" element would make the game distinct from Double Cross since while on the latter you're sliding two boxes that highlight prices, you're actually drawing a path on my game.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 21, 2017, 10:34:21 PM »
So, how would you make the game distinct from Double Cross?

I think you mean Pathfinder. This game is basically Pathfinder.