Author Topic: Triple Play needs to change  (Read 6218 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Re: Triple Play needs to change
« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2017, 12:22:05 AM »
As much as I agree with you, there's no reason to change it.

There's no reason to change anything about Triple Play. No one's stated a legitimate reason to needing to change things.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2017, 03:21:52 AM »
As much as I agree with you, there's no reason to change it.

There's no reason to change anything about Triple Play. No one's stated a legitimate reason to needing to change things.
If you want to see the game won more often, play it more than 3 times a year.
What about what CJBojangles said?

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2017, 07:55:38 AM »
How does playing the game more often in any way change it?  (Other than, perhaps, to make it less special?)

Offline greg

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2017, 09:44:49 AM »
It would be cool if they did the reveal like Superball!!.... "In door no. 1.. A New Car, in Door no.2 A New Jeep, & in door no.3 A New Truck!!!"
Then they could use the full set pieces behind each car...

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2017, 12:21:52 PM »
But then the problem is that there isn't a way to win the car. There has to be some rule that all prizes offered on the show have to have a chance to be won.

All the prizes offered have a chance to be won. Is the player able to meet the conditions of the game to win the prize?

There is no problem with Triple Play as it is. It's been working this way for 10, 15, 20 years now and has been won several times?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2017, 01:06:33 PM »
Per tpirstats.com, it's been played 80 times (in daytime at least, not sure if the "all seasons" page covers primetime shows), with a record of 13-67.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2017, 04:44:09 PM »
But then the problem is that there isn't a way to win the car. There has to be some rule that all prizes offered on the show have to have a chance to be won.

Note that suggestion I added only works if combined with the change that was previously suggested by ssetta (that only the price just over the actual one be wrong, rather than any price over the correct one).

With the two rules combined in the example, only $17545 would be a wrong choice, the other two would be winning options.

We still get winners in this game once in a while. If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

Seems like this makes the most sense.

Online Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2017, 10:12:53 PM »
The current regime has taken a game that had the potential to give away an abundance of riches - because really, who actually needs three cars - and turned it into a dull exercise where the goal is to get the contestant off stage as quickly as possible.

The answer is simply to let it be won more. Twice in the last nine seasons is outrageous.

There has to be some rule that all prizes offered on the show have to have a chance to be won.

Except there isn't. Per the FAQ:

Quote from: Golden-Road.net FAQ
The first three items in the correct trading sequence in Trader Bob could not be won, and the setups of the final two playings of On the Spot resulted in some of the small prizes being unattainable, as there were no circumstances under which they would ever be a right answer. In a similar vein, it was not possible to win either of the wrong prizes in the original format of 1 Right Price used in the first season of the nighttime show.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2017, 10:45:06 PM »
Per tpirstats.com, it's been played 80 times (in daytime at least, not sure if the "all seasons" page covers primetime shows), with a record of 13-67.

That's quite an impressive record considering the game technically has a 1/24 (just over 4%) of being won whereas a record of 13-67 suggests a 16.25% win percentage out of all 80 games.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2017, 10:57:33 PM »
That's quite an impressive record considering the game technically has a 1/24 (just over 4%) of being won whereas a record of 13-67 suggests a 16.25% win percentage out of all 80 games.

Comparing the game's record to the odds of winning by picking random answers makes zero sense. This entire conversation makes zero sense.

As others have said, Triple Play is simply played too infrequently and is set up to be too difficult in the beginning. The producers have learned to set up most games with the proper degree of difficulty, but this one continues to elude them. And so, all of the early exits combined with Drew's inability to build up excitement make for a pretty dull game relative to the concept.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 18, 2017, 06:44:34 PM »
Comparing the game's record to the odds of winning by picking random answers makes zero sense. This entire conversation makes zero sense.

As others have said, Triple Play is simply played too infrequently and is set up to be too difficult in the beginning. The producers have learned to set up most games with the proper degree of difficulty, but this one continues to elude them. And so, all of the early exits combined with Drew's inability to build up excitement make for a pretty dull game relative to the concept.

A hundred times this.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 18, 2017, 11:19:57 PM »

It especially makes no sense since the playing that kicked this off really wasn't meant to end that way. With a BMW, Benz SUV, and Porsche it was clear this was a big setup and while there might be some BMW's under $32K, that was really meant to at least get to the second car.

The Big 3 are long. The Big 3 are expensive. They just aren't going to play them that much and it sucks after years of them being a bit more frequent.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #27 on: October 18, 2017, 11:40:03 PM »
Love the game but I think the reveal is weak. Once George doesn't describe the first car, people know something is up, and it ruins the awesomeness of playing for three cars.

Just open all three doors at once with a wide shot. Boom. Instant "holy smokes!" factor.

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #28 on: October 19, 2017, 04:53:58 AM »
tpir7215, awesome job with the number crunching on the statistics!

Evil chameleon, I agree, the reveal should be that.

I have no problem with the game not describing all three cars right away.  For one, if the game is lost on car one or two, that would be time wasted.  For another, how often have we heard players ask "What kind of car is it?" when playing for just one car?  It would be far too much information for an excited and nervous contestant to process three car descriptions all at once.  For these reasons, I have no problem with the show describing just one car at a time.

The only things I would like to see changed somehow is when the selected price is removed, have the actual retail price of the car there right next to the "YES" or "NO" signs, rather than have it up top, especially since I know of at least one occasion where the emcee forgot to show us the actual retail price to confirm the win, and to slide the price in such a way that it remains visible to compare to the ARP.

The rareness of this game being played makes it special.  The rareness of a win in this game is extra special.  After all, Plinko has never officially been "won", nobody has won the top prize.  Given just how much Triple Play is potentially worth each time, I too concur with the "If it isn't broke don't fix it." school of thought.  Even nice that the name of the game has a baseball tie in, as does 3 Strikes, and in baseball, a triple play is extremely rare to pull off, so too should it be for this pricing game.

Offline jaywilliams

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: October 21, 2017, 01:46:17 PM »
Triple Play has got to go along possibly with Stack the Deck, which has yet to be played this season, that is just my two cents. It's retirement time for those two games.
Jay Williams