Author Topic: 6-1 GSM thoughts  (Read 16037 times)

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
6-1 GSM thoughts
« on: June 01, 2006, 10:39:27 PM »
I'll be honest that I did look to see if there was a topic made up for tonight's GSM but I didn't see one. So here I go with my thoughts of tonight's episode- "Let's make a Deal"

First off it was an excellent show despite the losing streak. It really looked as if GSM was making this a "giveaway episode." They really wanted the celebs to win big, but they kept finding a way to get zonked. Lance did a great job making wise deals, which helped him become the 2nd finalist. And Leslie did a great job even though he got sucked in to taking the scooter and $10,000. And that actually is really nothing to harp about.

I'm really hoping Paige can make it into the finals. It seems that she clearly knows what she is doing, despite the fact she is nervous, but keeps on getting screwed. I kind of figured they were gonna have a car behind each curtain in her deal after seeing the car behind curtain #2.

And too bad Tim got zonked. That little box was evil!!!

I can't think of anything else I would like to say, so you guys can post your thoughts.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline Jordanar18

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Currently, I live in the past.
Re: 6-1 GSM thoughts
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2006, 11:10:50 PM »
Can someone post a recap?  I missed it. :-(

Offline Joe_Mello

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2006, 12:00:48 AM »
It was a very good show, albeit a little predictable after awhile.  The show provided just about every twist and facet of the original LMAD EXCEPT offerring cash with their trips.

I'm not sure how I should feel about Paige's predicament.  She's wonderful and should be on every episode, but I want her to win, too.  I do feel sorry for the puppy, though.  Tim and Leslie showed some promise, too.

Anyone know what happened to Kathy?

Offline James_Fabiano

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2006, 12:02:29 AM »
Here's what I think so far:

I think most of us agree on TPIR segment being eh, I did mark out (wrestling fan term for "was VERY happy to see") for the opening montage and the return of the old-school split-screen pointer on the Showcase Showdown. And was happy to hear the MG/HS music get good play time, used as it often is on the show itself, but you got an even better portion during the montage. But it really wasn't fair to judge on that episode alone, cause yes, TPIR is still around. I guess they forced in the Big Wheel complete with convoluted rules just because of how synonymous it is with the show.

TPIR I think was a bumpy choice, since you really have to compromise it when you cut it in half. Then here, they wanted to fit in ALL the elements of the 1-hr show, Big Wheel AND Showcase included...unlike the nighttime/syndie versions that just had the three pricing games and the showcase.  I have the feeling that if they did the SS and then a one person Showcase like TPIR94, there'd be b*tching and moaning there too anyways.  

LMAD tonight was a little better, which makes me think the shows that were always just 1/2 hour may fare better with this format. I'll take it over the Billy Bush version from 2-3 years ago, that's for sure. BTW, random question, is Trato Hecho (the Spanish LMAD on Univision) still airing? Haven't seen it for a while.

Anyway, what I REALLY want to see are Press Your Luck, Match Game, Card Sharks, and Family Feud. If anything, Ricki can't be worse than the people who last did the subpar revivals of each...I mean, she couldn't not outperform Pat Bullard, Michael Burger, Louie Anderson, or Richard Karn (though, with the observance of Ricki's own loudness at times, hopefully she doesn't borrow Karn's "DOUBLE THE POINTS~!~!~!" routine, it might cause nearby civilizations to be wiped out ;-)). Could she?????  BTW, Todd Newton from Whammy! is the only one I won't go so hard on, though I actually think the PYL segment here will be better than that just for being like the old school PYL. Heck, just seeing the aforementioned shows back and truer to their heyday forms is what I'm here for.  Again I'll probably mark out mostly for the old sets, music, and games of course.  

Speaking of MG, not to complain, but I wonder where Brett and/or CNR were...as both seemed competent when they appeared on Hollywood Squares' Game Show Week a few years back.

But yeah, if GSM does well enough here and they want to bring it back, things I wouldn't mind pushing for:  

- Civilian contestants (that's another reason why I liked LMAD, at least they had some actual contestants on one segment) Wonder if they didn't want to steal thunder from the current-runs of TPIR and FF?  

- Still early in the series, so she might improve in the other games, but I wouldn't mind losing Ricki for someone with some game show history.  Again she might do better as the competition continues, I don't know.  Question is, if they only want one host for all the games, what one person could do all the shows well? (i.e. of course we could see Bob Eubanks doing Card Sharks, but would he be good at, say, Press Your Luck?)

- Oh and one more little request: the inclusion of a certain other classic...well, let me put it in a way fashioned after the show itself:

ONE
WORD
CLUES
LUDDEN
GAME

For $100, what's that puzzle????? :-)
I STILL BELIEVE IN "THE PRICE IS RIGHT"

Offline logikreader

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2006, 12:04:52 AM »
Kathy was on the trading floor w/ the audience.  She had some green outfit on, sorta a Gypsy Queen look I think.

Gilbert Godfried was the best thing that they did for those zonks!!  "WHAT THE HELL WERE YOU THINKING???!!!"

Offline catdogwheel

• Double Showcase Winner
    • www.meijer.com
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2006, 12:12:41 AM »
Since we're talking about LMAD, I do have a small question. Did they go on the road a lot? When I was watching the clips it seemed that a lot of the seating in the studio never looked the same. Maybe one of you loyal LMAD watchers could explain that to me.
Now you can buy groceries by the case at www.meijer.com and Remember "The power of the price compels you!"

"Heal the world we live in, save it for our children" - Michael Jackson 1958-2009 Rest In Peace

Offline TVC

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2006, 12:23:01 AM »
Let's Make a Deal was produced at NBC/Burbank between 1963 and '68. When ABC aired the series from '68 to '76, production occurred at the network's Prospect facility. The show moved to different venues afterward, including Canada.

Offline heelsrule1988

• Double Showcase Winner
    • My Deal or No Deal recaps
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2006, 12:23:11 AM »
Tonight's show was pretty good. I can't say it was totally awesome, but I definitely enjoyed it more than Wednesday's show. Gilbert Gottfried was pretty funny, especially as the baby: "I'm going on a picnic with Michael Jackson!" That was hilarious. Plus, Ricki was kind of funny when she was modeling those items. So, I liked it. I'm sure the best is yet to come, though.

Offline Forrest20

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 02, 2006, 01:01:30 AM »
I really liked this show, it was much better than last night, IMO.  Ricki was much better, she toned herself down a few notches, became more of an emcee, and kept the game moving which I thought was very important.  Even the celebrities were much better tonight than last night.  

I thought it was a cool thing to have the two civilians play in the 4 boxes game with Tim Meadows, that made it pretty enjoyable.  Also, I loved when the small box had the old "everything in this deal" card.  I had not seen that in so long and it was great to see!

Rich was also much better tonight, it looks like they laid off of the post-production insertions, and it paid off in a big way tonight.

In addition to being a big Price fan, I am also a big Let's Make a Deal fan, ever since I first saw the 70's syndicated version and TANLMAD from the 80's on the Family Channel in the early 90's.  Tonight's show paid great homage to the classic version, and I think that Monty would be pleased if he were to see tonight's show.

catdogwheel, in addition to what TVC said, Let's Make a Deal was syndicated from 1970(1?) until 1977, in addition to the daytime show.  During the 1975-76 season, the syndicated show did two episodes from the Las Vegas Hilton, and apparently they liked that idea so much that the next (and final) season of the syndicated run was done at the Las vegas Hilton.  Incidentally, there could have been a 1977-78 syndicated season of Deal (probably from the Hilton again), but Monty and Stefan Hatos decided not to go for it.

And one last note, now, I'm not suggesting that this should happen.  However, if LMAD were to ever come back as a half-hour syndicated show, and its time to consider a potential host, I would give Ricki Lake more than just a passing glance.  She was pretty impressive out there tonight.

Offline tadixon757

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2006, 01:08:12 AM »
James_Fabiano wrote:

BTW, random question, is Trato Hecho (the Spanish LMAD on Univision) still airing? Haven't seen it for a while.

It is still airing, but it's only in reruns now.  Those reruns air at 10:30am Eastern on Saturdays.
-- Thad Dixon

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2006, 01:58:00 AM »
Well, I am now totally convinced that Price is going to be by far the worst episode of the series.  Quite simply, this was Let's Make a Deal.  Rich and Brandi were great, and Ricki was a whole lot better than she was last night.

I honestly have nothing bad to say about this.  Heck, I'm convinced that if they were given another chance at it (and the use of the hour format), they could get Price right.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline jdhernandez

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: June 02, 2006, 02:37:51 AM »
See, I wasn't TOO convinced on Let's Make a Deal, for some reason. I didn't think it was all that great. The first thing I uttered after the show was, "That was...cute."

Don't get me wrong, I was smiling and getting happy about the show and the predicaments. It wasn't really good...but it was cute. Although, my sis & I thought it was particularly funny how Lance Bass wore a banana costume like Justin Timberlake did on SNL some time ago. :-p

Offline lucyrickyalex

« Reply #12 on: June 02, 2006, 02:51:59 AM »
Jordanar18 asked: Can someone post a recap? I missed it. :-(

Well, I'm not used to posting recaps, but I think I'll give this a shot.

Game $how Marathon: Episode2, "Let's Make a Deal"

"America's Big Dealer", Ricki Lake, is announced to a huge round of applause.

1st contestant: Lance Bass (dressed as the Big Banana)

Rusty brings out Ricky's Money Machine, with checks galore (and a bankruptcy slip)

1st: $5,000         Keep going...
2nd: $2,000    Total: $7,000   Keep going...
3rd: $3,000   Total: $10,000   TAKES THE MOOLAH!!!

But what was left?

4th: $500
5th: $1,500
6th: $5,000   Ouch...
7th: BANKRUPT

Deal time: Give up $10k for Curtain #1 (hint: Outdoors) or Curtain #2 (hint: Indoors)?

Lance's decision: after the break... (sounds a little like another game show with "Deal" in the title)

He decides to spend the 10 G's on Curtain #1

Behind Curtain #2: ZONK!!!!!!! (Gilbert Gottfried taking a bath)

Lance traded $10,000 for...A BRAND NEW CAR!!!!!!  (Lincoln Navigator 4X2, V8, AT)($50,990)

2nd contestant: Leslie Nielsen (dressed as a doctor, holding sign: "The doctor will see you now", puts on Groucho Marx

glasses)

Rusty brings out table with several GPs on it, hands Ricki Aspercreme Patches ($8.99)
Ricki gives them to Leslie, who is trying to win 2 Yamaha motorcycles ($33,160)

Leslie must pick out a product that is the same price as the Patches.
The products:
Viactiv Multi-vitamin Chews
Bayer Low-dose Aspirin
Glad Force-Flex Trash Bags
Garlique Garlic Tablets

Leslie picks the Viactiv

Ricki offers a Vespa LS50 scooter ($3,199) to bail-out, Leslie refuses

Trash Bags: $6.49
Aspirin $11.97 (Ricki: "The Doc knows his meds!")
Garlic: $8.99 (Ricki: "I didn't say there couldn't be more than one product that was $8.99, now did I?")

Ricki offers $10,000 and the Vespa ($13,199) to bail-out, Leslie accepts.
Viactiv: $8.99 :-(

3rd contestant: Paige Davis (dressed as Little Bo Peep, sign: I [heart] ewe Ricki) and Sophie the Dog (dressed as her sheep)

Ricki gives Paige a tin of Altoids ($1.50) and chance to trade for Curtain #2, Paige keeps mints

Curtain #2: Jeep Wrangler SE 4x4 ($19,135)

Another chance to trade, this time for Curtain #3 which has a years supply of Turtle Wax ($50), Paige keeps mints again

Curtain #3: Dodge Charger ($22,995)

One more offer: Curtain #1 (hint: Ground Transportation), Paige hangs on to mints for dear life

Curtain #1: Cadillac CTS V6 VVT ($35,080)

The tin of mints contains: mints, as well as $3,500

4th contestant: Tim Meadows (dressed as a cop, sign: "I wanna cop a deal)
Ricki calls for a couple of "regular folk" to help them out:
Laura (dressed in stereotypical '70's garb, complete with 'fro), and
Heather (dressed as a cat)

Ricki gives each player $2,000 and shows them four boxes.  Each one costs $1,000.

Box #1:
Laura: YES Tim: NO Heather: NO
Laura gets a Dell XPSM 170 Notebook ($2,353)

Box #2:
Laura: NO Tim: NO Heather: YES
Heather gets Gilbert Gottfried's "Dirty Jokes DVD" ($14.99)

Box #3:
Laura: NO Tim: YES Heather: NO
Tim finds His and Her Rolex Watches ($7,250)

Everyone has $1,000 left as we go to...
Box #4 (gigantic):
Laura: YES Tim: NO Heather: YES
Laura & Heather win a refrigerator ($6,130) plus Ice Cream Cakes for a Year ($840) Total: $6,970

Laura's total: $9,323.00
Heather's total: $6,984.99

Tim's Total: $8,250.00
Deal time: Give up the "bling" and the grand for a small box or Curtain #1?
Tim trades the loot for the Curtain.

Inside the box: Everything In This Deal ($16,587.99)

Behind Curtain #1: ZONK!!!!!!!! (Gilbert Gottfried [I smell a theme] dressed as a little baby, making the obvious

Michael Jackson reference)

Big Deal Time!  Tonight it's worth over $87,000!

Lance ($50,990): [d]NO DEAL![/d] He keeps his Lincoln
Leslie ($13,199): Goes for Big Deal
Paige ($3501.50): Goes for Big Deal

Leslie picke Door #1, Paige picks Door #2

DOOR #1
Noritake Stoneware and Glassware ($1,352.50)
Broyhill Dining Room Set ($6,975)
Total: $8,327.50

DOOR #2
Ricardo Beverly Hills Luggage ($940)
Night Owl Night Vision Binoculars ($799)
African Safari (11 day) ($14,800)
Total: $16,539.00

Nobody picked the Big Deal, so Lance Bass is tonight's Biggest Winner and takes his spot in Finalist's Row.

DOOR #3
Clarion "in-car solution" (GPS, satellite radio, music & photo playback, etc.) ($1,299.99)
Dodge Viper SRT-10 Convertible (Gilbert in driver's seat, screaming "What the **** were you thinking?!?!?) ($85,745)
Total: $87,044.99

Finalist's Row:
Brande Roderick
Lance Bass
???????????????
???????????????
"But if you work really hard and you're kind, amazing things will happen."
-Conan O'Brien

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 02, 2006, 10:37:45 AM »

SteveGavazzi wrote:
Well, I am now totally convinced that Price is going to be by far the worst episode of the series.  Quite simply, this was Let's Make a Deal.

Darn... I didn't bother to tape it because I was so nonplussed by the TPiR episode.

Offline logikreader

« Reply #14 on: June 02, 2006, 11:40:48 AM »
This is a really dumb question, but if the guy that brought out the table, Rusty, was playing Jay Stewart's role on the old show, why didn't they just bring out Rich for that part?

and now I'm about to answer my own question:

Rich might not have actually been at the taping, and his descriptions were prerecorded.