Author Topic: 6-1 GSM thoughts  (Read 16110 times)

Offline OneDollarBob

• In the Audience
Re: 6-1 GSM thoughts
« Reply #15 on: June 02, 2006, 01:56:10 PM »

Axl wrote:
I didn't bother to tape it because I was so nonplussed by the TPiR episode.

I get the feeling "nonplussed" was used to mean "put off" or "unenthusiastic" in this sentence.  Nonplussed actually means "bewildered" or "confused" (which I'm sure a lot of us were after watching the G$M TPiR).  Sorry if I read you wrong, just this word gets misused all the time, and it bothers me.

On the other hand, while I felt the LMAD ep. was more effective than the TPiR ep., I still can't say I'm convinced.  And it bothers me that they used prerecorded Rich Fields for some of the descriptions in TPiR and for a lot (or all?) of LMAD.

So far, the big thing I'm taking away from G$M is that the old school, die hard game show format does not work well for celebrities.  Their only contribution to any show is cupcake chatter and false enthusiasm, which might work great on Home Shopping Network but have no place on LMAD or TPiR.

Offline PaulMiller

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2006, 02:49:43 PM »
I thought Ricki Lake did a respectable job for Let's Make a Deal.  That said, something was missing, and it's hard to place what exactly it was.

Rich was as live as George Washington on last night's show.

Leslie Nielson still seemed out of it.  For that matter, all the celebrities seem thoroughly uninterested in GSM.

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2006, 03:32:43 PM »
Let's Make a Deal definitely went better than Price is Right, and I know almost anything could have gone better than Price is Right.  Ricki toned it down a bit for the show, which was good.  I think she's going to do well with this.  If they do GSM 2, they should NOT do The Price is Right.  PIR does NOT work with celebrities.  Lance played well, Leslie shouldn't have stopped, because Ricki basically gave away that the Viactiv was 8.99, Paige made some really dumb decisions, and Tim should have taken that little box.  I did.  I like the show, and if they keep this pace, than it will work.

Offline gameshowlover072

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2006, 04:19:50 PM »
Well, I think all-in-all, LMAD was done well.  I fully enjoyed Rikki's pantomiming for the products.  I also enjoyed the customery "case of Turtle Wax".  The only few things I didn't enjoy about it was the fact they seemed to only have limited musical cues, and once again, you could barely hear them.  And, I don't think The Big Deal of the Day had much fanfare associated with it.  Even Rich said in the description it was the "Grand Prize Deal".  The one last thing that would have been nice was to see the amount of the deal displayed on the screen like it was back then.

However, all-in-all, I was VERY pleased with this one.  I give it a 9 out of 10.

Offline Ted

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2006, 04:26:00 PM »
Catdogwheel said: "Lance did a great job making wise deals"

In all honesty, I don't think the words "wise" and "Lance" belong in the same sentence.

Did anybody notice how he kept watching himself on the monitors, especially when he was "dancing?"

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2006, 04:38:05 PM »
Much, much better than Wednesday's episode, from everything like the execution of the show right down to Ricki's hosting.

Still, I couple of things that I can't go without venting.  Why did Ricki just stand there and call out the kind of dealers she was looking for and then expecting them to just come to her?  It would have made more sense for her to walk around the trading floor instead of just standing in the middle aisle the whole time.

Secondly, most of the reveals could ahve been a lot better.  Too many of them had Ricki screaming or Rich just starting right into the plug.  That first zonk reveal with Ricki screaming, "It's a zonk!" just came off totally bad in my opinion.

And speaking of the zonks, as much as they tried to add some kind of humour by having Gilbert Gottfried associated with all the zonks, it really came off as annoying and cheesy.  Plus, Gilbert taking a bath and him in a giant high chair?  What kind of zonks are those?  Too bad they didn't do something that involved animals or three hundred pounds of bananas or some such thing.

Now, one major thing that bugged the crap out of me the whole show.  I haven't seen that many episodes of Let's Make a Deal in my time, but from the episodes I have seen, I seem to recall announcer Jay Stweart being involved with the show beyond being the announcer.  I believe I saw him carry boxes down the aisle and even stand in the zonk setups.  Why the frig was Rich not in that same role, instead of "Rusty the Mute"?  He wasn't even seen in any ariel shots in this episode.  Rich would have been perfect to assist with the show.  If he didn't want to do it, I can understand; but nothing from what we know and from our sources have said have indicated that he wasn't interested in being more involved.

But there were a lot of upsides to this episode.  Props to more airtime for Leslie and Paige, and less to Brande.  Ricki hosted fairly well, and she acted much more like an emmece than a friend to the stars.  The execution of the show was very much faithful to the original, and, of course, the clip montage was nice as well.

So, this was definetly much better than The Price Is Right episode, but still I think the better games are to come.  The Press Your Luck episode next week is the big one I'm waiting for.  Sure hope they don't botch that one.

PaulMiller wrote:
Rich was as live as George Washington on last night's show.

Pardon me for not getting it, but are you saying he was there or he wasn't there?
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #21 on: June 02, 2006, 04:42:27 PM »
Ah, silly Paige and Leslie.  The big deal is alawys behind door #3!  Always!

...OK, not always.  It just kinda' feels that was the most popular choice back in the day, or something.  So for that truly classic feel, of course it was going to be behind door #3 :-P!

Maybe it's just that I haven't seen Let's Make a Deal much in recent times, and as such I'm not making as many comparisons to the actual show, but I enjoyed it, more than The Price is Right one... then again, I get the feeling that's how many of you feel as well.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #22 on: June 02, 2006, 04:59:36 PM »
Rich was not in the studio for this taping, so all of his announcing was added in post-production.

This episode taped on March 23 and rehearsed on March 22. But wait, on the episode of daytime Price that taped on March 22, that exact same Cadillac CTS (with options) was in a showcase. So what did Game Show Marathon do for rehearsal, since the car was being used for Price?

On the lot at the same time, but not being used that day, was the Ford Fusion. It was the same color and roughly the same size as the CTS. So they wheeled that onto the Game Show Marathon set and it served as a stand-in for rehearsal. Pretty nifty, huh?
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline logikreader

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2006, 05:12:57 PM »
Excellent reporting, Scott!  If you still had that red Jacket you would be quickly become the Craig Sager of Television City.

Offline OrchestraRicki

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2006, 06:19:15 PM »
Eh, what's up, Doc?  Tonight's Game$how Marathon episode, which is "Let's Make A Deal" was fabulous.
Rich Fields did a fabulous job describing the history of this classic game show that is hosted by TV's big dealer, Monty Hall.  And the classic clips were very interesting.  The first time that I saw Carol Merrill on television was back in the early 1990's when I had cable.  She was a lovely and graceful model, and she is still a fabulous woman.
Fields played the role of the late Jay Stewart since the introduction, and he was terrific!  Ricki Lake has the "traits" of Monty Hall.  Lake is also very hilarious modeling a few items! (Chuckles)  I also love her outfit, especially her classic-style pumps.  Brandi Sherwood did a job well done modeling, but I never thought that the show would have a male model - namely, Rusty Joyner!  Interesting, is it not?  But, oh, how I wish that Carol Merrill would be on the show!
If I were Lance Bass, I would have kept the $10,000.  But the wise celebrity traded the money for a new Lincoln Navigator worth almost $51,000!  Eventually, he became the second finalist on Game$how Marathon, but I wish that Paige Davis would become the second finalist.  I admit that she looked great in her Little-Bo-Peep costume.  My beloved wife Betsy would enjoy seeing it.  Interestingly, Gilbert Gottfried made his appearance!  I remember hearing him playing the voice of Iago on Disney's Aladdin.  It was also interesting that 2 ordinary women, Laura and Heather, played the game with Tim Meadows.  The women picked up a combined total of almost $16,308 in prizes, while Tim got zonked!
As mentioned before, because Lance Bass kept the Lincoln Navigator, and neither Paige Davis nor Leslie Nielsen got the Big Deal of the Day (I was hoping that Paige would win), Lance became the second finalist.
To LogikReader: Your question regarding why Rich Fields should have assisted for Ricki Lake was not dumb.  It rather gave us much thought, and MSTieScott, if I am not mistaken, brought in a great response.  A lot of us may have had the same thought on this.
With all of that being said, On a scale from 0 to 10, I would give it a 9.5!  That show was terrific!
Zoinks!  That will be all for now, but take care.  Th-th-th-that's all Folks!

Hector Manuel Torres Jr. :-)

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 02, 2006, 06:42:25 PM »
Personally I thought this show was pretty good but there were some points that I felt disinterested.  It just seemed slowly paced until sometime into the 2nd half of the show and even though the pace felt slow to me a couple of things also felt rushed.  The tribute video was nice.  Ricki Lake was settled down and hosted better, and the only time I didn't like what she was doing was when she modeled the grocery products.  Her requests for specific costumes was kind of strange but I didn't mind it too much.  Rich felt a lot more like himself.  Lance Bass did not seem that interested at all and most of the time what he did and said felt scripted.  He also looked slightly embarrased for some reason.  I'm happy for him that he won the Navigator though.  Rusty wasn't that bad IMO.  Rich doesn't seem like the type of person that should be in that type of role to me.  So I'm sort of glad he didn't do it.  Leslie Nielson seemed more interested tonight but didn't seem like he really knew what was going on.  I'd love to win that money and Vespa just for not thinking Viactiv would also be $8.99 :-) .  I really liked Paige Davis tonight and it was upsetting to see that everything she passed up as a car.  Tim Meadows was good tonight also and Laura and Heather were nice complements to him.  Too bad he didn't take the small box next to him, but those watches were beautiful.  I want those cakes...

And I must say... Gilbert Godfried was hilarious.  Probably my favorite parts of the show.

And the show did seem predictable at times.

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: June 02, 2006, 07:42:35 PM »

OneDollarBob wrote:

Axl wrote:
I didn't bother to tape it because I was so nonplussed by the TPiR episode.

I get the feeling "nonplussed" was used to mean "put off" or "unenthusiastic" in this sentence.  Nonplussed actually means "bewildered" or "confused" (which I'm sure a lot of us were after watching the G$M TPiR).  Sorry if I read you wrong, just this word gets misused all the time, and it bothers me.

Nope, you read me correctly.  Sorry.

Offline Ferdy9338

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: June 02, 2006, 08:52:20 PM »
Sounds like I missed a pretty good show. Geez what a day to rely on my memory instead of a well-placed Post-it note!

- Oh and one more little request: the inclusion of a certain other classic...well, let me put it in a way fashioned after the show itself:

ONE
WORD
CLUES
LUDDEN
GAME

For $100, what's that puzzle?????

Password...and Password Plus...Bless you my child!

Offline Jordan7

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #28 on: June 03, 2006, 03:37:42 PM »
I thought Let's Make a Deal was very good. Ricki did a much better job, and she was funny trying to model those grocery products like the Barker's Beauties. It was funny how she made all different kinds of faces in the process. It was also nice to see Brandi, she did a good job as well.

First off, I never would have suspected that during Paige's turn, that they would offer three cars in a row. I was very shocked. Poor Paige, I hope she makes it to the finals as well. She seems that she knows what she has to do.

Leslie did okay with his deal. $13,000 isn't bad at all, but I had a feeling that the Viactiv and the Garlique were both $8.99 after Ricki said that there could be more than one product that is the same price, but the first thing that came to my head was that this would be like Pick-A-Pair, with only one other product the same price. So when Rich described the Garlique, I thought that was $8.99, and that the Viactiv was $11.99.

It was nice to see some ordinary people actually get to have a little fun. They all ended up winning something nice, and that refridgerator was just beautiful! Such a cool design on it. I must admit that Gilbert Gottfried was quite funny when Tim got zonked.

Lance made the smart decision of keeping the $50,000 car, although he was at risk for someone picking the big deal, which I was afraid that someone would, but never did.

I look forward to next week's shows, Beat the Clock and Press Your Luck.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 03, 2006, 08:12:22 PM »
LMAD went a lot better than TPIR. Ricki did her best and her modeling work needs to be a bit improved.

Rich also did his best despite being pre-recorded.

All the stars faired well with their deals. I'm glad a couple of audience members got a chance at some good stuff, too.

Too bad nobody won that Dodge Viper. I know the home viewers had to been screaming the same words out of Gilbert Gottfried's mouth.

Can't wait for Beat the Clock and (especially) Press Your Luck.

BTW: One thing I enjoyed most? HMMM...I guess I have to say.........

BRANDI!!!!!!!!
 :-D