Author Topic: The popular consensus on what pricing game should return?  (Read 10473 times)

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
The popular consensus on what pricing game should return?
« on: October 28, 2017, 01:30:17 PM »
Let's speak hypothetically for a moment. Suppose the current administration has decided they are going to bring back one game (and only one game) that has previously been retired and they will bring back the game voted most popular out of all the games that have been retired. I'd be very interested to see what game is the most popular choice to be brought out of retirement.

Now, when making your choice, try to keep a few things in mind...

a) Time constraints have nothing to do with this choice. (For example, don't omit Super Ball!! if that's your choice because "there's not enough time for it in today's show.")
b) No votes on "only if they keep the original prop" because when Time is Money was brought back, it obviously underwent a significant change and it's the year 2017, it's very likely going to be changed. (For example, if Penny Ante was brought back, no doubt they'd bring it back with LED screens instead of flip-open parts)
c) Please offer an explanation as to why you voted for your choice.

All right, just to break the ice, I'd probably choose Super Saver, myself. Bringing it back would add another grocery game into the mix, is another game that isn't necessarily played for a car or cash which has been too much of a recurring theme in games introduced in the last few years (in my view) and the concept of trying to keep more than you lose was a concept offered in other games over the years (such as Give or Keep and Buy or Sell, both of which are also retired) is an interesting one that could stand to make a comeback.

Floor's open.

Online Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
Re: The popular consensus on what pricing game should return?
« Reply #1 on: October 28, 2017, 02:27:07 PM »
I would say Super Ball!!

The show seems to be going for flashy, recognizable games as of late (Hot Seat, Gridlock!, etc), and I always felt it was unduly retired without even an attempt to rework it.

Just like Time is Money, I would rework the game to be played solely for cash (sorry reveal lovers). The center ring would be worth $10,000, the middle ring would be worth $2,500, and the outer ring would be worth $1,000.

I would have the SP portion play out differently as well. The contestant would get one ball for free, and would have the chance to earn up to three more balls by arranging four SP's in order from least expensive to most expensive. Each correct choice would net them an extra ball, for a grand total of three balls. If they make an incorrect choice, that portion of the game would stop with whatever number of balls they have accumulated.

Drew does his inspiration roll. The contestant will no longer get a practice roll (c'mon, they don't get a practice putt!). Once all the rolls have been made, a fifth SP is presented to the contestant. They must correctly place that small prize in line with the other SP's. If they are right, they win the perennial golden "Super Ball", which doubles the money amounts on the board ($20,000, $5,000, $2,000).

If the game is played perfectly, the contestant can hypothetically win $60,000.

Offline publisher

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2017, 05:23:15 PM »
Hurdles. A grocery item game with fun, distinguishing characteristics.

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2017, 08:29:37 PM »
Penny Ante.  The game is quick to play and easy to understand.  It was a grocery item game but doesn’t need to be; could be reworked into a number of ways.

Especially with timing constraints, seems like an easy choice.
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2017, 11:03:12 PM »
I would like to say Superball since it was one of my favorite games, but I'll say Barkers Markers/Make Your Mark. It had a unique concept and the only reason it was retired was because Drew messed up the part about giving back the $500 if you changed the marker. It would also add another 3 prize game to the rotation.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #5 on: October 29, 2017, 12:00:23 AM »
Penny Ante.  The game is quick to play and easy to understand.  It was a grocery item game but doesn’t need to be; could be reworked into a number of ways.

Especially with timing constraints, seems like an easy choice.

It could be reworked to have only the two items (no bonus prize) but have said items be major non-car prizes (i.e., trips, living rooms, kitchen islands, etc); in fact one Host Your Own used two cars

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: October 29, 2017, 04:37:55 AM »
I'd have "Hit Me"-- you might think my reasoning is a bit off, but I'd like to have Hit Me back because I'd like to see blackjack being played w/Drew Carey (and the dealers can rotate-- even George can get in on the dealing, which would give him another pricing game to help out on, besides "Most Expensive").

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #7 on: October 29, 2017, 06:17:05 AM »
I'm going way back in time here, but I'd vote for Mystery Price.

I'd love to see a different kind of small prize game featured, and this one involved actually trying to price four small prizes without going over, and accumulating enough money in a bank to cover the price of another prize's price, which was the mystery price.

Shell Game and Bonus game have the "higher or lower" element, one SP game has true or false, some have the double prices feature (Pathfinder/Secret "X"). 

Offline greg

« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2017, 08:31:20 PM »
Although I think Drew would have the most fun with Bump, I would really like to see Hurdles or Penny Ante come back...
Hurdles would recapture some of the classic fun that makes people love Cliffhangers so much & I always liked Penny Ante even though there was nothing real special about it.

Offline ayoung

• Double Showcase Winner
  • everybody loves me.
    • my facebook
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2017, 12:47:26 AM »
Bump makes the most sense. They need quick games, they can play it without the models doing the wind up bit.
I don't know if you'd stick with the British bus theme, maybe bumper cars instead?
You people make me sick.  Every last one of you.

Offline LarryC

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: October 31, 2017, 08:28:46 AM »
Give or Keep.

Love seeing the turntable spin around to reveal those small prizes.  And a contestant can choose a wrong small prize and still win the game.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2017, 01:15:20 PM »
Bump makes the most sense. They need quick games, they can play it without the models doing the wind up bit.
I don't know if you'd stick with the British bus theme, maybe bumper cars instead?
Too bad Gwendolyn's not on the show anymore; that game would make perfect sense indeed!

If it were up to me, I'd bring back either Penny Ante, Hit Me or SuperBall!!!

Poker Game could work, but put a brand-new twist in the game: Offer a $5,000 cash bonus for winning after keeping your original hand. If you pass it down to the house, the cash is forfeited.

I could see Joker working as well. I hate that it and Poker Game never got played with Drew.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2017, 03:31:28 PM »
Once again, to keep the thread on the rails, we're asking for one game here. Try and avoid just listing every retired game in your posts. :)

Offline REDHEADVICKI

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2017, 12:55:54 PM »
Hello all...
The one game that I would like to see return is SuperBall and its original music too.  :-D  8-)

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2017, 11:33:18 PM »
Very well then, my vote is on Hit Me.