Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/30/2017 (TPiR Bad Moms Special)  (Read 8491 times)

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/30/2017 (TPiR Bad Moms Special)
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 12:32:36 AM »
(everything Steve said in response to me)

Allow me to better convey what I meant by what I said previously.   I'll fully acknowledge that Drew handled things a lot better today than how he would have back then but that doesn't change how this episode had that "hey notice us we're doing stuff" feeling for me that wouldn't have seemed out of place 8 or 9 years ago.  I never once said that we're still in the dark days of season 37, I merely said that this particular episode felt like it.  To be perfectly honest, I've enjoyed the past few seasons overall and find that things have gotten progressively better since then.  At one point in time I would have been that guy at the top of the roof with a megaphone screaming for the old guard to come back and do things how they were done in the 80s but I've grown to accept how things are now and even like it for the most part.  If you found this episode less obnoxious than I did, that's perfectly fine and I respect that.  I found it dreadful and I am in no way trying to convince anyone to feel any differently than they currently do about it.

The actual retail price is...

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/2018
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 12:40:33 AM »
It felt like season 37 all over again.

No it didn't.

Perhaps to him it felt like season 37. Personally it was too far back for me to remember what it was like or maybe I've blocked it out. But I actually enjoyed todays episode. It may have been super gimmicky but at least it felt special. A $30K+ car in Lucky $even, A non-car game played for a car and two very nice and expensive Showcases. It could've been a lot worse.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 01:00:17 AM »
...I have no intention of watching this episode and am glad I am sticking to a Discord chat.

L7: IT ISN'T A SPECIAL IF YOU CAN'T WIN BY ONLY GUESSING 5!
Plinko: Normally, I would say that no center hits of 0's or 10K's is just bad, but it got me the doubler for CSS, so not complaining.

Cliff: CONFLICTS imean FAILURE

Showcases: There's that BMW that was spo... A van? Ok? And for some odd reason I missed the brand, which gave me a GOTM. I can't say I am mad at either of the bids, but still, that van.

From a gameplay perspective, I can't but also can say that this is a very bad episode. On L7 on a normal day with $1 on the last one, I would guess 9 or 2, so I can't get angry at L7. But $65 in Cliff? But I also don't know if I should...

You know what, enough contemplating about this episode. 35k bids for tomorrow's special will suffice.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2017, 01:01:48 AM »
Wow...they really wanted both car games won today, and both contestants ended up really blowing them.  You could tell Drew knew it, too -- he basically lost all enthusiasm on both Lucia and Alma's last guesses.
I wouldn't put the emphasis on Alma. Drew knew it because he knows the show doesn't deviate far from 20/30/40 after hosting these last 10 years, but common contestants do not. There should be no. such. thing. as a $40 stand mixer. What is it made of? Sticks and stones held together with sap and rubber bands. It is common knowledge that stand mixers are generally very expensive. Usually well over $150 for some of the name brands like Sunbeam and KitchenAid. Alma clearly knew that the last SP wouldn't be north of $100, but I wouldn't be surprised if she thought that because stand mixers were usually expensive, this one was still a bit up there.

I know this is bothering me more than it should, but I feel pretty safe saying Mila spinning the Big Wheel was staged -- neither Showcase Showdown ended with the wheel on 75.
Come on, a $10,000 Plinko chip and a showdown dollar? It was definitely staged.
I don't think it was staged at all. Neither Showdown ended with the wheel on 75, but note that both Kathryn and Kristen are off to the side while Mila spins. I think Mila spun after the both of them had and that's where the wheel was when the previous woman went. And given that they played an entire playing of Bag for online only content, that seems likely. Maybe I'm naive (that Bag playing was also won), but given that we've seen crazier things happen on Price (earlier this season, in fact). I think Mila was just really lucky.

We have such a standard of "all-encompassing specials" that is so low with the likes of Jack Wagner that this honestly didn't seem that bad to me. I'll admit that their modelling in both Most Expensive and especially Squeeze Play was so over the top in parody it looked like the worst of SNL and MadTV combined. However, I felt a very sincere, genuine feel from all three of them. They actually were excited to be on the show and I think it's really great to see that in celebrity guests. Maybe not to the rest of you, but they sold me on the fact that they wanted to be there and that alone made the show more enjoyable to me.

I suppose the one thing I didn't like the most was Grocery Game. I don't think guests should run the register. I haven't liked it in the past and I don't like it now. It can be complicated and a contestant is trying to win a prize, and they shouldn't be confused further. A model should do it, especially the longest tenured one who's done it countless times.

Nice to see a mini-van on the show. I'm not entirely sure on this, but this might be the first mini-van in 5 years since the first Baby Shower special. I'm not sure if a mini-van was on one of the family/kids specials or not.

Also, and this is unbelievable, this looks to be the first playing of Lucky Seven (daytime) not played for a dream car to have a prize crack $30K+ in 5 years as well, also on that same Baby Shower special.

Look, I'm not hoisting this show high upon a pedestal for Emmy consideration, nor would I say that I'd rewatch it, but if you think this is some nadir and slippery slope the show is going to head back down, I think you've really given the episode an unfair shake.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2017, 11:10:21 AM »
Showcases: There's that BMW that was spo... A van? Ok? And for some odd reason I missed the brand, which gave me a GOTM. I can't say I am mad at either of the bids, but still, that van.

It was a Chrysler Pacifica.  In fact, it was actually a HYBRID Chrysler Pacifica.  The BMW showcase was cheaper than the van showcase because the BMW itself was actually CHEAPER than the van, which, accord to the Chrysler website, was by itself more expensive than the ENTIRE BMW SHOWCASE, at $46,985 with only the 18" x 7.5" polished aluminium wheels option (the closest option I could find to any of the announced features).  And even the base Pacifica Hybrid (the Plus trim) starts at just under $40k ($5 under to be exact: $39,995) with absolutely no options and no destination fee.  This is also according to Chrysler's website.

So basically, we had for the first time ever a minivan that was more expensive than a BMW in the same show.  Of course, it was a BMW, but still, we had a ~$46k MINIVAN.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2017, 11:22:18 AM by tpir7215 »

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 07:38:11 AM »
Bad Moms and Bad Show.  This made me want to avoid seeing the movie in the theaters - the reverse of the why they did the integration in the first place!

Why do the specials have to be super easy with big prizes and then in the "regular" shows, a contestant struggles to win a cheap car in games like Stack the Deck?   If I ever wanted to be a contestant, I would only attend the gimmick shows where they just want to give away stuff.