Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 10/31/2017 (TPiR 2017 Halloween Special)  (Read 4277 times)

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 10/31/2017 (TPiR 2017 Halloween Special)
« Reply #15 on: October 31, 2017, 08:16:48 PM »
Drew used to be an actor. I don't ever remember him calling Oswald "Diedrich" on The Drew Carey Show. I really don't think It's asking too much that he remember, at least the announcer's, gimmick name for one one-hour special. Like I said, commit to the bit.
So you've never seen a blooper where the actors use the wrong name for the person they are addressing, ever?  You know why you didn't see it on The Drew Carey Show?  It was edited out.  I bet if you saw the blooper reel for that show you'd see it happen then too.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 31, 2017, 09:47:58 PM »
After the clunker yesterday this was an excellent show! Very fun, the superhero theme was cool, and I personally thought Dr. Trombone was funny. The only complaint I would give is that I felt the intro went on a bit too long, but otherwise everything just worked.

The perfect day for a $25,000 Punch a Bunch win! Had it not been won but a high amount been won (like $5,000 or $10,000), I wonder if that would've brought Dr. Trombone out.

They could have thrown in...in costume cameos by Ryan Reynolds,Gal Gadot,Supergirl cast ,etc.
Even George Clooney as Batman showing off a Nespresso...
That sort of thing.
No way they're getting huge name guest stars like that. Supergirl also moved to the CW after its first season.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2017, 09:56:21 PM »
So you've never seen a blooper where the actors use the wrong name for the person they are addressing, ever?  You know why you didn't see it on The Drew Carey Show?  It was edited out.  I bet if you saw the blooper reel for that show you'd see it happen then too.

And yet, with the amount of editing that takes place on Price is Right, it got left in today's show.

In any event, I'm over it.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #18 on: November 01, 2017, 03:04:08 AM »
Oh my God.  I want The Prize League to actually be a thing.

Seriously, this is one of the most creative shows they've ever done.  Everything fit together perfectly, and the opening was just plain badass.  Whoever came up with that sequence deserves a raise.

And it didn't hurt that damn near everything was won, too.  Punch a Bunch was especially awesome, because even though they obviously put it in so Dr. Trombones would be defeated somewhere, it doesn't look like they specifically planned for the game to be outright won.

Drew used to be an actor. I don't ever remember him calling Oswald "Diedrich" on The Drew Carey Show. I really don't think It's asking too much that he remember, at least the announcer's, gimmick name for one one-hour special. Like I said, commit to the bit.

Here's the thing, though -- Drew isn't really good at this sort of thing.  Piggybacking off of Bojangles's remark about how nice it is that they're letting the show just be itself these days, I actually enjoyed seeing him have fun with how bad he is at it.  It feels authentic, which is pretty good when you're basing the entire episode around everyone being a superhero.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: November 01, 2017, 10:11:48 AM »
And yet, with the amount of editing that takes place on Price is Right, it got left in today's show.

Even Superman calls Batman "Bruce"... find a different nit to pick.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: November 01, 2017, 10:20:03 AM »
Not to mention there's bloopers left in quite often, like George falling off the treadmill, the coffee station falling down, Manuela revealing the car price prematurely, etc.

Something I forgot to mention earlier, did Dr. Trombone make anyone else think of that paperclip guy that used to be on Microsoft Office? I wonder if that was intentional or just a coincidence.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 01, 2017, 10:31:54 AM »
Something I forgot to mention earlier, did Dr. Trombone make anyone else think of that paperclip guy that used to be on Microsoft Office? I wonder if that was intentional or just a coincidence.

Absolutely. First thing I thought of!

Offline Archviler

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: November 01, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
Likewise, I thought they were using that as the bad guy on first glance.

Offline JoePlinko

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: November 01, 2017, 10:58:12 AM »
Great show, but I just felt like they missed an opportunity to have the villain be "The OVERlord." 
"If we want the show to stay on, you have to support the show.  How can we lose an American classic?"  - Roger Dobkowitz

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I can't.
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #24 on: November 02, 2017, 12:34:53 AM »
Just got around to watching this one.  I'm not sure if it's actually possible to "win" Halloween but they did.  Great theme that was well executed, lots of winning, an evil office assistant knockoff, and I found it downright comical when Drew openly admitted he couldn't see anything and even flipped his eye patch up to be sure he knew what the prize was.

The actual retail price is...

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #25 on: November 02, 2017, 08:04:21 AM »
Not to mention there's bloopers left in quite often, like George falling off the treadmill, the coffee station falling down, Manuela revealing the car price prematurely, etc.

Yeah actually.

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: November 02, 2017, 12:10:16 PM »
Best Halloween show to date - Hands Down.

But I do have a question.   Aren't the losing horns part Tuba?   

Maybe for next year Dr. Trombones can have an evil orchestra at his side.

Sure the one episode where it would of been OK for them to have a 3 out of 6 show, we get 5 out 6 with a PaB $25k.    Not that a 5 out of 6 is a bad thing.   My point really was, I'd have been ok if there was a few more losses.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #27 on: November 02, 2017, 02:04:06 PM »
I don't ever remember him calling Oswald "Diedrich" on The Drew Carey Show.
But he called Lewis "Ryan" on Whose Line is It Anyway?, since Stiles was the only other cast member to appear on both shows.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Mike SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #28 on: November 02, 2017, 04:04:01 PM »
Punch a Bunch was especially awesome, because even though they obviously put it in so Dr. Trombones would be defeated somewhere, it doesn't look like they specifically planned for the game to be outright won.
I bet anything at $500 or above would have avoided Dr Trombones. Drew even said it's hard to lose the game! :P
S46... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline MyNameIsMichael

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #29 on: November 02, 2017, 09:19:20 PM »
Best Halloween show to date - Hands Down.

But I do have a question.   Aren't the losing horns part Tuba?

Yes, the first four notes are played on a tuba followed by the trombone "groan."

And I agree. Best Halloween show. Awesome theme with the Prize League and Dr. Trombones! 8-)