Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 11/7/2017  (Read 13423 times)

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: TPiR Recap - 11/7/2017
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 07:16:21 PM »
Not following... what list?

You know how Arya Stark has a list of people she wants dead? I have a list of games I want retired for various petty reasons.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 07:33:37 PM »
What's your justification? There's nothing wrong with the game.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2017, 07:36:22 PM »
It was not a dumb decision because that $1500 is a lot and it was a Nissan Versa. To be honest, the show should be ashamed to offer cars less than $15K in 2017. It really does make them look cheap.

On the other hand, it kinda wasn't thought all the way through. You're probably not thinking about this while on stage in the rush of everything, but you can sell that car. You've got to get at least $10K for it no? If not close to full value? I'm not familiar in selling a car, but he pays the taxes and still nets a hefty sum far more than the $1500 he bailed with. Even still though, that $1500 was a sure thing and winning the car wasn't even though he had two more rolls and 4 cars.

What if the show allowed you to have full control over all your dice, even after you rolled cars? So, that if you wanted more cash instead, you could reroll a die that you already rolled as a car. Would make for an interesting dynamic, especially during Big Money Week.

Glad to see Magic #. Really liked most of this lineup, but I'm a bit tired of seeing Secret X this early into the season. Would've rather have seen Bonus Game instead.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2017, 07:50:34 PM »
You know how Arya Stark has a list of people she wants dead? I have a list of games I want retired for various petty reasons.

If there was any game that even remotely deserved to be retired, the title would go to That's Too Much and/or Stack the Deck, not Let 'em Roll.

It was not a dumb decision because that $1500 is a lot and it was a Nissan Versa. To be honest, the show should be ashamed to offer cars less than $15K in 2017. It really does make them look cheap.

I agree with you in terms of the show looking cheap, but at the same time, there are new cars under $15k that have received great reviews (with the Ford Fiesta being one of such cars), and the show has offered the "good" cheap cars plenty of times in the past.
And don't forget that there's also the choice to sell the car afterwards, especially if you don't like it and/or it's too expensive for you and you want to make a lot of $$$ off of selling it.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2017, 09:47:22 PM »

People can't be trusted anymore to make the game exciting. We must take it away.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2017, 10:46:01 PM »
When was the last time somebody quit with four cars?

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: November 07, 2017, 10:48:53 PM »
On the other hand, it kinda wasn't thought all the way through. You're probably not thinking about this while on stage in the rush of everything, but you can sell that car. You've got to get at least $10K for it no? If not close to full value? I'm not familiar in selling a car, but he pays the taxes and still nets a hefty sum far more than the $1500 he bailed with. Even still though, that $1500 was a sure thing and winning the car wasn't even though he had two more rolls and 4 cars.

Winning a car is not all it's cracked up to be. Add on State and Federal taxes that must be agreed to be paid the moment you walk off the stage, assuming you accept the car. Then there are dealership fees on top of that, not to mention insurance. Even if you do sell it, you're looking at a loss, because as any car dealer with tell you, the value drops the minute you drive off the lot.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #22 on: November 07, 2017, 11:28:30 PM »
When was the last time somebody quit with four cars?

This might have actually been the first time ever

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #23 on: November 08, 2017, 12:47:52 AM »
People can't be trusted anymore to make the game exciting. We must take it away.

Bull. designer accessories.   
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #24 on: November 08, 2017, 03:12:11 AM »
Uh...so Let 'em Roll happened.  That...that was odd.  That was very odd.  I'm really not sure what to say about it except that it was odd.  I think Drew legitimately didn't know what to do for a minute at the end of that game.  I think they threw the production staff off, too -- nobody turned on the theme while Drew was throwing to George.  The whole thing was just...well, odd.

Speaking of Let 'em Roll -- and Secret "X", for that matter -- all of the fee items were sponsored today!  Roger, when the heck is the last time that happened? ;)

I was at the taping of today's show.  Kenneth had a car that he was happy with.  He did not want to risk the 2 rolls and get $500 or $1,000.

Well, that's good to hear.  That makes a hell of a lot more sense than "I'm happy with $1,500."

That's nice.

I suppose it should be noted here that there's precedent for banning people if they start talking about how much they went certain games retired every time they're played.  I'd better not see any posts about demolishing Hit Me with a bulldozer.

Methinks you are confusing "petty" with "stupid."
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: November 08, 2017, 09:55:05 AM »

I also see nothing wrong with the game.

Agree with the decision or not, the game's rules explicitly, to my understanding, allow a contestant to walk out at any time with the sum of whatever cash values appear on the die faces. Even if there is just one die face with cash showing and it happens to be $500 ... the contestant can walk away and keep the cash.

Now, maybe this will be the spark that pushes the producers to offer better cars, or maybe it won't. That's up to them. Then again, even if in theory a fully-equipped, top-of-the-line Cadillac XTS (nee DeVille) were offered we might see some people walk -- although I'd suspect that would be for a prime-time special and the cash values increased, but that's a completely different story.

Anyway, who knows if "better cars" would give future contestants more an incentive to play on, or ... as this case apparently is ... this was a contestant who -- regardless of what model of car was offered -- was satisfied with his winnings so far and made a perfectly allowable decision to quit and we just have to accept it.

Again, do I support his decision, even if I disagree? Yes ... because it was the right decision for him.

Brian

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2017, 04:01:18 PM »
They could also choose to force the contestant's hand by eliminating the bailout option, although that wouldn't be fair for those who roll between 0-2 cars before the last roll.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2017, 06:59:51 PM »
Their Twitter Page just posted the video as to what happened in Let em Roll

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2017, 11:03:29 PM »
Winning a car is not all it's cracked up to be. Add on State and Federal taxes that must be agreed to be paid the moment you walk off the stage, assuming you accept the car. Then there are dealership fees on top of that, not to mention insurance. Even if you do sell it, you're looking at a loss, because as any car dealer with tell you, the value drops the minute you drive off the lot.

Am I correct in understanding the "Add on State and Federal taxes that must be agreed to be paid the moment you walk off the stage" part of your post to mean that if you win a car, you have to pay the taxes that day, before you leave?

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2017, 11:30:12 PM »
Am I correct in understanding the "Add on State and Federal taxes that must be agreed to be paid the moment you walk off the stage" part of your post to mean that if you win a car, you have to pay the taxes that day, before you leave?

Add on State and Federal taxes that must be agreed to be paid the moment you walk off the stage, assuming you accept the car.

You don't actually pay the taxes until April 15, but you have to agree to pay them right there.

One of the conditions you have to accept when you sign for the prize after the show is that the show will send both you and the IRS a 1099 form that tells how much you won, which you should declare as income. If you don't end up declaring the prizes on your taxes, the IRS would know you cheated on your taxes, since they have proof you accepted the prize.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."