Author Topic: Wacky/Oddball prizes offered over the years  (Read 13790 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
Re: Wacky/Oddball prizes offered over the years
« Reply #30 on: November 09, 2017, 11:33:14 PM »
Also , during a Wedding Shower Show in 2013 , when they offered a trip for 20 people ( plus the Couple that was playing ) to Aruba worth over $47K.

Don't remember that one. I do remember that $33K Mexico trip they offered on a similar special (maybe that same year?)
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2017, 11:36:09 PM »
Awe, I always thought that was cute. I forget the name of the brand but sometime in the later Barker years they offered overly expensive weird looking furniture that was really oddball. I remember one piece they offered was a sofa that was made up of different circular shaped cushions and it was like $4,000.

highbrowfurniture.com? I still remember that baseball-glove shaped chair that went for like $999.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #32 on: November 10, 2017, 01:03:04 AM »
The encyclopedia of TV Game Shows, Flokati Rugs, collections of stuffed animals, Lobster Tennis Ball Servers, and my personal favorite confusing and amusing prize category:  hovercrafts and other various amphibious vehicles.   

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #33 on: November 10, 2017, 01:03:57 AM »
Silverice, would you please try to copy multiple quotes in one post?
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #34 on: November 10, 2017, 11:29:50 AM »
highbrowfurniture.com? I still remember that baseball-glove shaped chair that went for like $999.
I think that might be it. I remember the baseball glove and I think they also offered a chair that looked like a pair of lips and maybe one that looked like a high heeled shoe.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: November 10, 2017, 02:24:44 PM »
I remember the lips sofa. I also remember that $4893 dinette set they had. Johnston Casuals had some zany colors in their furniture as well. I don't remember the high heel, though.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #36 on: November 13, 2017, 02:27:42 AM »
If there's any sort of prize offered on the show that made me do this...

:headbang:

it was around 1995 where this dude was playing Any Number for a car, but instead of that (or the piggy bank), he wound up winning hundreds of dollars worth of...BARBIE DOLLS!!! (facepalm)
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 02:30:15 AM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2017, 02:24:02 AM »
Don't remember that one. I do remember that $33K Mexico trip they offered on a similar special (maybe that same year?)

It was the next year (2014)

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: November 14, 2017, 08:32:41 PM »

it was around 1995 where this dude was playing Any Number for a car, but instead of that (or the piggy bank), he wound up winning hundreds of dollars worth of...BARBIE DOLLS!!! (facepalm)

There are quite a few hardcore doll collectors out there--yes, some of them are even men--who would be interested in such a prize. Sell it to one of them.

Offline ShootingDio

• In the Audience
  • I can explain.
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2017, 01:01:17 AM »
Electric Scooter that was offered as a bonus prize in Bonus Game in 3/3/05.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: November 15, 2017, 02:16:36 AM »
would you please try to copy multiple quotes in one post?

Is it possible to do that in this forum without cutting-and-pasting?
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #41 on: November 15, 2017, 07:01:09 AM »
Silverice, would you please try to copy multiple quotes in one post?

Yes.  If you click "Quote" on the first post you want to respond to, and when it brings up the box for you to type in, you can scroll down and for any other post you want to put in your response, you can click the "Insert Quote" button associated with it and that post will be "quoted" just above the one you started with. 

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #42 on: November 15, 2017, 07:50:15 AM »

November of 1993. Bob had quite the discussion with his friends in the audience during the showcase showdown when he learned that they were going to share the Barbie dolls among them. They were all members of a fraternity if I remember correctly.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: November 16, 2017, 12:33:23 AM »
would you please try to copy multiple quotes in one post?
Yes.  If you click "Quote" on the first post you want to respond to, and when it brings up the box for you to type in, you can scroll down and for any other post you want to put in your response, you can click the "Insert Quote" button associated with it and that post will be "quoted" just above the one you started with. 

Well, whaddya know!  It works!  Except that when all three quotes I wanted were here, the first one ("would you please try to copy multiple quotes in one post") was at the bottom of the sequence instead of top, so I had to cut-and-paste it to move it to its proper place.  But that beats the way I used to do it - open a new window to "reply with quote" for each quote, then copy and c-and-p all the quotes into one reply.

And now back to the topic at hand: wacky/oddball prizes offered over the years...
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: November 16, 2017, 12:41:20 PM »
What about that combination stereo/sofa that was offered a bunch in the mid-to-late 70s?