Author Topic: With Time is Money as an inspiration...  (Read 3750 times)

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
With Time is Money as an inspiration...
« on: November 11, 2017, 06:39:57 AM »
All of us LFaTs know that the show has retired some 33 pricing games since 1972.

Time is Money was a game that was retired but brought back and improved tremendously.

Balance Game is another, although the current one is completely different from the first one, while Time is Money's gameplay and premise remain the same, only difference being it's played for money rather than for a prize package.

I've tried to come up with different ideas on how to bring back retired pricing games, and would be interested to hear others' ideas as well.

Add 'Em Up.  The pet peeve I had with this game is some times it proved anti-climactic.  When there was just one number left to guess, it was game over before the fact.  To make the game better would for me, require to muck up the rules some thus bringing this game back would probably prove non-beneficial.

Balance Game '84.  This proved very confusing and was retooled years later into the current game we see.

Bullseye I.  This could be redone but give the contestant a range of $250 to $1,000 to begin with.  Also, record the previous bids on a game board.  Make the starting range between X and Y commensurate with the type of car being played for.

Bump.  This was kind of retooled with Switch?  That being said, this could return as a viable 2 prize game that would go fairly quickly.  Just do the game without the models perhaps.

Buy Or Sell.  This was retooled into More or Less which is a better game as it builds up to a new car. 

Clearance Sale.  It was far too similar to Easy As 1 2 3.  No chance of resurrecting this game as it was.  My idea would be to change the game and call it "On Sale".  Three prizes, one with a price that's too high, one with the price exactly right and one with a bargain price.  The player picks one.  If they pick the overpriced prize, they win nothing.  If they pick the prize with the exact price, they win that prize only, and if they pick the prize that is on sale, they win all 3, and the player gets only one chance.

Credit Card.  Unfortunately since this was a 5 prize game and there is so little air time allowed anymore, it is unlikely this game could be brought back unless they did a retooling of Shopping Spree and require the player to spend less than $X instead of spending more.  Credit Card was the better game since it holds true to the basic premise of Price is Right in not going over, whereas Shopping Spree they want you to go over.

Double Bullseye.  A two player pricing game was too awkward and it didn't work back in 1972, the only 2 player game now is the Showcase round anyway.

I'll stop here for now, would be interested to get more feedback and ideas about other retired games that might be able to be brought back.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
Re: With Time is Money as an inspiration...
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 09:59:22 AM »
I could see On The Spot coming back in some form. Maybe a stranded island motif could be used.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2017, 11:17:57 AM »
With a more reliable prop, Walk of Fame could have a shot at a second life without too much tweaking.  If by some odd chance they still have the autograph books signed by the classic cast during the game's original run lying around somewhere on the property, perhaps those could be pulled out as special gifts should they be playing the hypothetical revival during a throwback-themed show (provided of course they wouldn't have to jump through all kinds of legal hoops getting permission from the surviving said talent for it) 

Superball could also probably work basically as/was, although I would of course advocate bumping up the bonus for winning all 3 prizes and nailing the Superball--make the grand prize jackpot at least $10,000, if not $25,000 should the budget allow it 

Unfortunately I'd have to say leave Galley Game on the ash heap; it was just too hard to win under those rules, and I don't see how they could be reworked to make the game interesting 

There could be a chance for Split Second; perhaps add that after each attempt to move the lower-priced item down to the lower level and stopping the clock, they would be told how many of the 3 or 4 numbers they have right, and try to go forward with that in mind (or do you think that would waste too much gameplay time?) 

Again, fix the prop, and make the rules ironcladly clear, and Super Saver probably can work again as/was 

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2017, 12:44:22 PM »
Balance Game is another, although the current one is completely different from the first one

Balance Game isn't a reworked game; it's a different game that just happens to recycle an old name.

I do think the original Bullseye could be reworked. I'd propose the following changes:
  • Give the contestant the last number in the price of the car.
  • Display the closest guesses on either side of the price. I believe the Aussie version of the show did something similar when bidding on the showcase.
  • Don't show the audience the price. I don't think there's really any point to it, and it takes the audience out of the game.
  • Maybe add one more guess, if needed.
Also, you obviously couldn't call it Bullseye anymore. Maybe On the Nose? :lol:

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2017, 02:09:17 PM »
Every time I see the Gridlock board, I think, "They could rebuild Hurdles just like this!"

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2017, 03:43:20 PM »
I would bring back Phone Home Game but with LCD screens and a top prize of $30k.  I suggested this on another thread, and someone pointed out that the calling someone with a phone part could be replaced with something like Skype.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: November 13, 2017, 12:39:38 PM »
"Give or Keep" would be easy to play. Use the turntable for the items and one of the video monitors nearby to tally the scores.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 02:15:50 PM »
I could see Mystery Price get a makeover. Here's what I would do with a new version:

Present a large prize (but do not reveal the price, and no small prizes will be used in this iteration), along with four medium prizes, a la Temptation, and as before, the contestant must guess the price of the medium prize, one at a time. If they guess at or below the ARP, their guess is added to the bank; if they go over the ARP, nothing is added. Then the mystery price, which will be the ARP of the large prize, is revealed, and if it is at or less than the bank's total, the contestant wins.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: November 15, 2017, 09:38:30 PM »
Buy Or Sell.  This was retooled into More or Less which is a better game as it builds up to a new car.

I wouldn’t really say this was “retooled into More or Less” considering they were on the air at the same time. If anything, Bob took the pricing aspect of several SP games and turned it into one MP/car game.

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: November 17, 2017, 07:18:48 PM »
I could see Mystery Price get a makeover.

I've always thought Mystery Price was a great game, and not too complicated a game, but a game that's very hard to explain succinctly. I think it would require a strong visual element that kind of makes the game self-explanatory, lest Drew stumble over the rules for 2 minutes and leave the contestant utterly confused.

Offline Vgmastr

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2017, 03:40:17 PM »
An idea I had for Clearance Sale would be to have each prize with a sale price already displayed and the contestant would have to add a sale tag to each price.  For example, sale tags that say $200 off, $400 off and 50% off.  You could mix and match and have different tags for each playing.

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 10:29:25 AM »
An idea I had for Clearance Sale would be to have each prize with a sale price already displayed and the contestant would have to add a sale tag to each price.  For example, sale tags that say $200 off, $400 off and 50% off.  You could mix and match and have different tags for each playing.

I really like that idea, mixing the discount amounts and percentages - and I don't think it'd be too mathy for contestants to figure out, either!

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2017, 05:15:36 PM »

I rather like this idea too.  Only difference is I'd have all three price tags be cash amounts (e.g. $200, $400, $750) rather than $200, $400 and 50%.  Getting involved with percents might be a bit too difficult for some.  But the idea behind this isn't bad.

I'd rename the game and call it "What's the Difference?"  Three prizes with a sale price, have to place the "differences" correctly on all 3 price stands to win the game.  Have to get them all right though, one mistake and all is lost.

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #13 on: December 07, 2017, 09:41:35 PM »
Getting involved with percents might be a bit too difficult for some.  But the idea behind this isn't bad.

Something like 50% shouldn't be too hard.  It's literally just half the price.  If you think the sale price if 50% off, you're saying the real price is double the price.  And even if you can't do something like $813 times 2 in your head, you could at least estimate that that would give you around $1,600.