Author Topic: Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary Show  (Read 2037 times)

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary Show
« on: December 06, 2017, 07:20:25 AM »
Did anyone here watch the special and, if so, what did you think of it? Has anyone here ever had the chance to see the original show, or any rehearsals, in person?

I didn't see the special when it first aired as I watched it later online. To those that did see it, I was a little disappointed on how the show was put together from the very start. I was expecting to learn more about the original cast and how the show got it's start. While those topics were touched very briefly, it seemed to be more of a talk show format with guest stars and highlights of special clips and memorable moments from the show.

At the beginning of the special, Carol asked to "bump up the lights" only to take obviously scripted questions from three members of the audience. It appeared that additional seating was brought into the studio as people were seated at the very front on each side of the stairs. But during tighter shots of certain audience members during breaks for applause I saw a few empty seats scattered around. I wonder how the seating arrangements were done for show?

More comments later to those who reply or to those who did watch the show and care share their thoughts.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Carol Burnett 50th Anniversary Show
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:31 AM »
I didn't see much of it, but my mom watched some of the special. It is pretty cool that the show is 50 years old, I'll say that.
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2017, 03:55:26 PM »
I liked it although I agree that there were too many parts that felt overly scripted and I didn't like all the guest stars that didn't really have a connection to the show. I wish they took questions from civilian audience members rather than having the celebrities in the seats ask them at the beginning. There also should've been more stories from Carol and the other cast and crew. It was entertaining overall though.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 04:49:18 PM »
One thing I wonder too is...if Tim Conway had not been under the weather...were there sketches written for the show that never made it to air....there were other obvious misses like where's Dick Van Duke for example

Offline BobJacobsenVer1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 03:02:23 PM »
I didn't see it... What was/is wrong with Tim?

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 09:46:16 PM »
I Ment to say...Dick Van Dyke  ....phone autocorrect
IOne thing I wonder too is...if Tim Conway had not been under the weather...were there sketches written for the show that never made it to air....there were other obvious misses like where's Dick Van Duke for example