Author Topic: What was their thinking?....  (Read 3559 times)

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
What was their thinking?....
« on: December 07, 2017, 02:03:48 PM »
This has irked me for a while, and I'm curious if anyone else has wondered "What was their thinking?"... (on this, or any other minutiae about the production of the show)

For years, the ball in the Shell Game was yellow. Then someone decided to jazz it up, and paint it an iridescent colour, so that it looks like a pearl. Cool, It's a pearl hidden a shell (perfectly logical, nothing odd about that..), but the shell is a WALNUT. When's the last time you found a pearl in a walnut?

End rant.. like I said, a quirky piece of minutiae that probably only annoys me. But for all the money they spend on props and sets, you'd think they could have built clam shells, or painted the ball green to resemble a pea.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline djsquare

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • tpirmodels.com
Re: What was their thinking?....
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 06:30:12 PM »
Like the defunct version Misez Juste in French Canada?

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 07:05:45 PM »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 12:26:48 PM »
Golden Road's original sign: http://priceisright.wikia.com/wiki/Golden_Road?file=Golden_Road_1.jpg

I demand a special using the tackiest props of the show's history.  :oldlol:

« Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 01:15:43 PM by Alfonzo »
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 01:06:57 PM »

The question is whether the original Golden Road sign still is in storage or, hell, if it even EXISTS now.

Online Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 01:17:57 PM »

Golden Road's old prop
Double Digits
The original Danger Price set
The mid 70s-early 80s Most Expensive set
Pink Temptation
On the Spot
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2017, 05:03:13 PM »
The tacky props thing made me think it would be a fun thing to do for a Christmas week episode- the "ugly sweaters" of The Price is Right. They would just have to be willing to remake or recolor the game set pieces for a day. Or just use a video monitor to show a playing with the original ugly set before playing the game on the current set.

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 06:04:20 PM »
Golden Road's old prop
Double Digits
Pink Temptation
On the Spot

The first two card game tables? Nice red and green theme for Christmas!

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 06:32:27 PM »
The tacky props thing made me think it would be a fun thing to do for a Christmas week episode- the "ugly sweaters" of The Price is Right. They would just have to be willing to remake or recolor the game set pieces for a day. Or just use a video monitor to show a playing with the original ugly set before playing the game on the current set.

That would make for one interesting show.  Not sure the producers, especially the designer(s) of the original "ugly" props, would wanna openly call the stuff they worked hard on ugly though.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 11:14:10 PM »
I should've also said that there's no way they would actually recreate the sets. They wouldn't necessarily have to use the word ugly, although it would just be in fun like ugly sweaters are. Probably the most that would be done if they ever did an "ugly sweater party" show would be they would just put on some things to the sets to tacky them up.

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #10 on: December 13, 2017, 12:21:28 AM »
The first two card game tables? Nice red and green theme for Christmas!

The first Card Game table looked like it was found at a junkyard, and it took them until the mid 80s when 5 digit car prices first appeared to update it to the slightly more tolerable table with the blue top and the red/orange yellow finish. 

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 12:30:19 AM »
Golden Road's old prop
Double Digits
Pink Temptation
On the Spot
  The Ferris Wheel set from Pick-A-Pair should also be added to this list.  The trade-off for the excruciatingly long gameplay is that we got to hear the entirety of the product description cues because it took 4 minutes for each product to rotate around to the front.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 04:04:30 PM »
  The Ferris Wheel set from Pick-A-Pair should also be added to this list.  The trade-off for the excruciatingly long gameplay is that we got to hear the entirety of the product description cues because it took 4 minutes for each product to rotate around to the front.
How about the first Dice Game set? It was fine for four-digit cars, but when they added the extra window to the left edge for the Deluxe edition, it came off as tacky.

Anyone having nightmares about the new Double Prices set yet? Those SuperBall!!! dollar signs should've stayed retired when the Big Wheel was redesigned for Season 37, because they now look like overkill in their current application.

Oh yeah, the Purple Wheel...while it was fun to see the old dollar sign pattern from the 80s make a comeback, it was so ugly that Drew made fun of it the one week it was on.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 04:15:42 PM »
Oh yeah, the Purple Wheel...while it was fun to see the old dollar sign pattern from the 80s make a comeback, it was so ugly that Drew made fun of it the one week it was on.
Ah yes, his infamous "wait til you see what they've done to the wheel!" comment going into commercial before the 1st SCSD. The purple wheel would have to be part of a "ugly sweater party" show too.