Author Topic: The State Of TPIR: 2017  (Read 7828 times)

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The State Of TPIR: 2017
« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2018, 03:20:24 PM »
For one, Drew is still the host.

Online urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2018, 04:08:41 PM »
Considering you seemed to have written him off in 2009...I can assure you he and the production have improved leaps and bounds. It's the same show, with a modern flair with plenty of winks And callbacks to the classic days.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2018, 04:48:23 AM »
Were there any truth to the rumors during that if ratings tanked after the host transition, the plan was to cancel the network show and bring it to syndication?

That would have been a challenging pitch to stations to put it mildly. A more logical plan would have been to try to save the show that already exists. Getting a show sold in syndication necessitates availability of valuable time slots and interest in the product. Time slots have been in short supply for some time, and the shows that do at least make it to launch tend to have the backing of a major station group. If CBS gave up on the show and cancelled it, that's not a ringing endorsement for a station group to commit to a syndicated version.

Offline The Last Outlaw

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2018, 12:37:12 PM »
Some of my favorite moments were the record breaking Plinko game in May, the $80,000 Showcase Showdown, and the Halloween Special.
You read my mind!  Those three really made 2017 on Price!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2018, 02:30:21 PM »
FWIW, the show has gotten back into the flow, becoming a throwback to its glory years of the late 80s-early 90s, when Bob and Rod were running things. I love how they modernized a few elements from that long-gone era, like the SCSD split-screen arrow and the announcer's (George) calldown window. Safe to say, Drew and George are this era's Bob and Rod (with Rich being Johnny), and it's great to see them have fun during the course of the show, even if they sometimes go over the top.

If they do revive the half hour Nighttime price is right, they should either air it on CBS or ABC Sunday nights during the summer time with the same models and announcer from the daytime show. The host could be from The price is right live.
While in theory this could work, I don't see it happening, because this isn't 1985 anymore. And ABC already has a lot on their plate with Celebrity Family Feud, Match Game, The $100,000 Pyramid, etc. Even CBS has a strong primetime lineup, and I don't see them messing it up just to squeeze in a few nighttime airings of TPIR, half-hour or full.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2018, 02:55:44 PM »
More to the point, the ABC network isn't going to add a CBS show (nor would CBS likely not have network exclusivity in the contract...and if they don't, there's something seriously wrong). Doing a network version of a syndicated show is one thing...this is another.

For pure syndication, there's both the aforementioned ability to watch the "daytime" show when it's convenient....but there's also the practical matter of no realistic room in syndication. Presumably, there would be a restriction to be an afternoon or evening show, and what Wheel/Jeopardy/ET/Extra/Access Hollywood doesn't have locked up, Feud and sitcoms have in the access hour, at least on any desirable station.

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #21 on: January 12, 2018, 11:24:26 PM »
And you know what? Bring back the audience entrance with some more regularity.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 05:13:29 PM »
Don't think audience entrances are going to happen. Drew is not comfortable doing them.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 05:14:35 PM »
Don't think audience entrances are going to happen. Drew is not comfortable doing them.
With as overcaffeinated as modern audiences are, can you blame him?

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 06:40:16 PM »

He wasn't comfortable with the first one. The other two were fine (including the one just two seasons ago).

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 10:32:42 PM »
He wasn't comfortable with the first one. The other two were fine (including the one just two seasons ago).

Did he tell you that?
As much power as he seems to wield, if he liked them so much, don't you think he'd be doing more of them?
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #26 on: January 14, 2018, 05:27:45 PM »
As much power as he seems to wield, if he liked them so much, don't you think he'd be doing more of them?

No? They don't do them anymore because the show is no longer live to tape. They have time to enter Drew, screw around laying down Golden Road or whatever, and then go right into the first item up for bids.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #27 on: January 14, 2018, 06:20:21 PM »
No? They don't do them anymore because the show is no longer live to tape. They have time to enter Drew, screw around laying down Golden Road or whatever, and then go right into the first item up for bids.

What does one possibly have to do with the other? If he wanted to do audience entrances, he'd do them. The show no longer being "live to tape" is irrelevant to that fact. They could make an edit from his entrance through the big doors just as easily.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 06:51:11 PM »
Why don't you tell me why they have only done three audience entrances since Drew took over then?

By the way, you can't say Drew is uncomfortable with them as your response, because if that was truly the case, the UDecide show where the audience entrance was one of the options (and the option that won) in the Twitter poll, it wouldn't have even been asked.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 06:59:44 PM »
I've been to only four tapings in the "post-production" era, but despite how they're willing to stop and do an edit for anything, they never stop after Drew's entrance to set up the first game, do they?  At one of the tapings I attended, the first game was That's too Much! and they did not stop tape to set it up.  I gather they want to actually do some show before they have to stop tape and Drew has to talk to the audience?  The tape has only been rolling for about ninety seconds by that point, and if "fresh, realistic" enthusiasm means anything to them anymore, they certainly have it when the show starts.

They could make an edit from his entrance through the big doors just as easily.

Or just edit in his entrance, which was a pickup they did after the fifth game at another taping I attended.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.