Author Topic: The State Of TPIR: 2017  (Read 7890 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
The State Of TPIR: 2017
« on: December 27, 2017, 11:06:46 AM »
What is your thoughts on how Price has been this year? What was your favorite moments? What could use some changes? What would you do differently?
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: The State Of TPIR: 2017
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2017, 05:38:47 PM »
One of my faves is the Golden Road win from Holiday Week and the $97k+ Lexus win in Gridlock from the second Dream Car Week of 2017

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #2 on: December 28, 2017, 03:34:39 PM »
I still think the Summer doldrums would be great if they aired a primetime special once a week. Doesn't have to be a Million Dollar Spectacular. And to head off the replies to this, they shouldn't need gaps in their schedule to want to pimp their best game show in primetime. It should be done yearly. During the Summer. Until the show returns in the Fall.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2017, 07:16:06 PM »
It doesn’t really “head off” the responses, because it happens to be truthful that there isn’t a need. Many people would feel Young and Restless is the best soap; that is no more of a justification for running a prime-time installment of the sudser to “pimp” it. That’s not how the business works.

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #4 on: December 28, 2017, 07:19:37 PM »
You can't compare a soap opera to a game show. The only thing they have in common is they air at the same time of day. Soap operas don't play in primetime. Gameshows, however...

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »
Soap operas don't play in primetime.
Dallas, Falcon Crest, Knot's Landing, etc. would all like a word with you.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2017, 10:28:35 PM »
While a summer primetime Price would be cool, I doubt it would happen. They clearly don't see the need to compete with ABC's summer game show block.

Back to the topic at hand, premiere week celebrating Drew's 10th year hosting definitely worked well and we got that one really exciting Showcase Showdown. Gridlock is an alright game, but too much like Money Game with an added gimmick. And of course, this year's Halloween episode with the Price League was just awesome and perhaps the best Halloween show to date.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2017, 12:13:56 AM »
I still think the Summer doldrums would be great if they aired a primetime special once a week. Doesn't have to be a Million Dollar Spectacular. And to head off the replies to this, they shouldn't need gaps in their schedule to want to pimp their best game show in primetime. It should be done yearly. During the Summer. Until the show returns in the Fall.

Much agreed, though I do wish for an MDS...
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline tpirsuperfan99

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: December 29, 2017, 11:43:04 AM »
Some of my favorite moments were the record breaking Plinko game in May, the $80,000 Showcase Showdown, and the Halloween Special.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2017, 01:30:02 PM »
It doesn’t really “head off” the responses, because it happens to be truthful that there isn’t a need. Many people would feel Young and Restless is the best soap; that is no more of a justification for running a prime-time installment of the sudser to “pimp” it. That’s not how the business works.
This used to be valid, but it really isn't anymore. ABC is having fine success with their game shows. NBC's also enjoying their attention from The Wall. Primetime game shows are making a minor resurgence and even CBS took the plunge by putting on primetime Price last year. I thought it did respectable. CBS also thought spending a crap ton of money on a has been gaming fad was a good idea. That's what made me so mad this year. They have proven properties in Price and LMAD that would probably do respectably given the other classic properties that now populate the airwaves. See, while Y&R is great (it's my favorite soap), you can't play along, at least not well, to whether or not Victor and Nicki are going to get back together. That's the difference.

You say there "isn't a need", and there isn't really, but prime time games are inexpensive and with the current state of TV, would probably pull in similar numbers to the shows they could replace, especially if it's on Friday where those programs barely pull in 6-7 million viewers anyway. They might as well take advantage of the current state of TV too. TV is so fragmented now that 4-5 million viewers will win a timeslot now where even 10 years ago, it'd get you laughed off the network (unless that network was The CW).
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: December 29, 2017, 02:02:41 PM »
One point was more about how CBS would want to "pimp" (love that term) one of their shows...in fact, they have several successful shows on the daytime side. That doesn't necessarily mean the prime-time folks have a current need (and needs change--these things come and go).

CBS also has more hours, I believe, in summer devoted to their signature franchise in Big Brother than the other networks do with their summer reality shows (on a show by show basis at least). It eats up a good chunk of real estate, and their procedural & sitcom heavy schedule tends to generate fair numbers in repeats relative to the lower summer viewing levels making repeating them a cost-effective solution. This year they're down one scripted show with Zoo gone, but still have Salvation coming back. That might leave them with a little space to fill, but not as much as their fellow broadcasters.

ABC stumbled into success out of greater necessity. Their primetime schedule has been more of a mess, and they had fewer shows that repeated well (a few successful sitcoms and...not much else). Their Sunday nights were a particular problem in the regular season; the game shows were a good fit for their needs for something--anything--to run, and paid off. Much the same for Fox last summer--their schedule had little that repeated well, so a couple of game shows and more reality filler was a decent band-aid.

If and when Big Brother finally goes away, CBS may find themselves with the bigger need. Sooner or later, the pendulum swings.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: December 31, 2017, 11:56:12 PM »
They should revive the nighttime price is right like they did in 1985 when Tom Kennedy hosted. It aired on NBC. They had a good pricing game rotation, same models and announcer (until Johnny Olson's death, then Gene Wood took over, then Rod Roddy towards the end of the show's run.) from the daytime show. Tom Kennedy did a god job hosting the half hour show.

If they do revive the half hour Nighttime price is right, they should either air it on CBS or ABC Sunday nights during the summer time with the same models and announcer from the daytime show. The host could be from The price is right live.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2018, 12:27:37 AM »
They should revive the nighttime price is right like they did in 1985 when Tom Kennedy hosted. It aired on NBC in syndication.
FTFY.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2018, 01:06:50 PM »
Haven’t watched even one minute, so all I can say is they have not convinced me to tune in.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2018, 02:47:52 PM »
They should revive the nighttime price is right like they did in 1985 when Tom Kennedy hosted.

Airing both first-run daytime and first-run syndie versions of the same show might have made sense in the 80’s, when a different time slot meant attracting a whole new potential audience.

I don’t know if it would work today. DVRs and same-day online have made it so that anybody can watch whatever they want, whenever they want. Adding a second regular time slot would just dilute the ratings of both shows.

Were there any truth to the rumors during that if ratings tanked after the host transition, the plan was to cancel the network show and bring it to syndication?

Haven’t watched even one minute, so all I can say is they have not convinced me to tune in.

How do you know the show hasn’t been worth watching this year if you haven’t even tried watched it? Sounds like a self-fulfilling prophecy to me.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."