Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 12/29/2017 (TPiR Best of 2017 Special)  (Read 2589 times)

Online TPIRfan#9821

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Remembering when the Zero Rule didn't exist
Re: TPiR Recap - 12/29/2017 (TPiR Best of 2017 Special)
« Reply #15 on: December 29, 2017, 07:23:10 PM »
Stray notes:

IUFB 1:An orthodox Jew winning Christian Louboutin shoes. I know Louboutin is just a name, but that's an interesting coincidence.
DP: WHY! WHY! WAS THIS A SHOWCASE OR SOMETHING? YOU DON'T START A SHOW WITH A HIGH STAKES 50/50! Well, I guess it was okay for the car in Dream Car Week 4. That was at least a car. This is something you don't get on the show to get.

OA: 48921... so close to 9821.

I seriously thought I would have more notes for today, but with all the loses, I honestly have nothing. Yay Gridlock and yay wheel, but I don't know. I was expecting something else. Punch for a Car AND the trombones pictures to reflect the TWO wins in punch we had this year? A mention of the Plinko Record? U-Decide to be exciting? This would be a great show on a normal day, but for specials, meh. It's still a pretty good show, but if I were to choose one show to show to a friend, I have the Dream Car Week 4 with four cars won, the $80k on the wheel, AND the Halloween specials.

I would have set the show up very similarly if I had the chance (yeah right):

Golden Road for the Porsche 718 Boxster S at the end of the Triple Play in October.
Double Prices- Have the wrong item price be 12,107, and screw the FRATW showcase.
Gridlock for the Range Rover. (We have time for a 3 car show. Dream Car Week did it. Just edit this game to bits.)

Wheel:Bring back the $100,000 bonus for a Double Dollar.

Bullseye with the new set with the Slingshot (I really liked the Slingshot both times we have seen it).
Pick a Number the way it was set up.
Punch-A-Bunch with the way I described it.

Showcases: The U-Decide was actually fine. The other showcase should have had prizes from the shows to make it better for a LFAT.

I would rate today 7.5/10. To many more shows to come in the new year!
My favorite game is Clock Game and my least favorite is Switcheroo, because reasons.

Reminding you about 1932... when Richard Dawson was born. I will remember $19.32, even after he Checked-Out. Feud will never be the same without you.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #16 on: December 30, 2017, 01:30:14 AM »
There are some things that don't go together, and a FRATS in a PG (Double Prices) are two of them.

However, that was a great debut for the new Bullseye board, even if it was spoiled by a loss. Finally, they're putting Drew's "arrows in the quiver" to good use, and the touchscreens are a nice addition as well.

Offline mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Looking for the next hug winner.
    • Mechamind Boards
« Reply #17 on: December 30, 2017, 01:31:22 AM »
Yeah, the 50/50 was dumb...you're supposed to make the super expensive trip an easy win, and then the contestant will forfeit the trip to avoid the taxes. Classic. :oldlol:

But really, I don't mind if a simple game like Double Prices offers a super expensive prize. Sometimes, I guess you just gotta do the unexpected (but not if the unexpected is an "El Skunko").

Offline jimme

• Outside in Line
« Reply #18 on: December 30, 2017, 02:00:16 PM »
Double Prices, One Away and Pick A Number aren't "best of" material.
They could have had Yodely Guy dressed up with a 2018 hat and show a ball drop in the hills as game #1 and play Cliff Hangers for that nice trip package.  Then, do Range Game or some more fun game for the workout equipment.  And, why not a game with lots of "best of" moments - the whoops from Three Strikes wins instead of One Away.

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 07:51:19 PM »
Double Prices, One Away and Pick A Number aren't "best of" material.
They could have had Yodely Guy dressed up with a 2018 hat and show a ball drop in the hills as game #1 and play Cliff Hangers for that nice trip package.  Then, do Range Game or some more fun game for the workout equipment.  And, why not a game with lots of "best of" moments - the whoops from Three Strikes wins instead of One Away.

Perhaps they even could've played 6-figure 3 Strikes again, maybe for a 5.0L V8 supercharged Range Rover

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: December 31, 2017, 08:06:34 PM »
I'm really tired of this being the reaction whenever I legitimately point out an asinine thing the show does.

Why do you think offering a 50-50 shot at a $35K prize package is "an absolute joke" and "asinine"?

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: December 31, 2017, 08:21:18 PM »
Why do you think offering a 50-50 shot at a $35K prize package is "an absolute joke" and "asinine"?

It shouldn't be that easy to win a $35k prize package. It comes off as forced or "breaking records for the sake of breaking records"
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: December 31, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
It shouldn't be that easy to win a $35k prize package. It comes off as forced or "breaking records for the sake of breaking records"
That and if some poor Joe Plinko does win, they're likely to forfeit it (to avoid the absurd tax hit), so the prize budget doesn't budge either way.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• They don't think it be like it is, but it do.
« Reply #23 on: December 31, 2017, 09:07:23 PM »
Why is there such a problem with doing this just once? I thought it was cool to see a $35K trip extravaganza offered. Sometimes doing oddball things is good. It keeps you watching.

Would you rather watch 180 shows of That's Too Third, unwinnable Shell Game bonuses and excessive uses of 1-2-3 in Most Expensive? I mean, at some point you should find some enjoyment in something different.
Season 41 - Season 43, Season 46 - Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.

CSS Season 14 Cash: $649,436

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Mike SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #24 on: January 01, 2018, 03:30:48 AM »
There are plenty of ways to "shake things up" for a show that are much more reasonable and aren't so transparently budget moves as blozier pointed out. (Look how super hard OA was for the Range Rover, LOL)

I think what bothered me more was that 3 trips should never cost 36k together, period. Especially around the world when the airfare is connected. Also again, it's the Best of 2017 and the first PG prize, your starting point to recap the year is... a bunch of trips? I guess I shouldn't be surprised with plenty of shows having 2 trip PGs now, but holy moly there have been way too many trips.
S46... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: January 01, 2018, 09:48:14 AM »
I can't believe some of you a complaining that they offered a huge prize, even if it was in DP.   So what?   And furthermore, DP while not a sexy game, has been around since day 1.   Why is it a bad thing to honor a classic game with a great prize?   Would it have been better if they offered the same prize in Cliffhangers?

It was a special episode,  they offered some greater than normal prizes.   If it was just any old day, we'd have loved it if out of the blue a 35K prize was offered.

I didn't time the intro where they showed clips, but say it was about a minute long.   They had to make that time up somewhere.
Seems to me those of you complaining would have rather watched just a normal episode.
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Online sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: January 01, 2018, 09:57:17 AM »
I can't believe some of you a complaining that they offered a huge prize, even if it was in DP.   So what?   And furthermore, DP while not a sexy game, has been around since day 1.   Why is it a bad thing to honor a classic game with a great prize?   Would it have been better if they offered the same prize in Cliffhangers?

To answer your last question...yes...yes, it would have been better if they had offered this in Cliffhangers. The prize and presentation are pretty cool.  It's a majestic prize. My problem is that no reasonable person can have any idea as to what it costs, and we all know this, so using Double Prices as the game feels a bit off to me. Save DP for a nice car or something where I may have even a small idea of the price.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline JohnHolder

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: January 01, 2018, 10:53:34 AM »
I think what bothered me more was that 3 trips should never cost 36k together, period.

A "premium hotel room" in Times Square is probably $2K a night. That's $12K right there.

holy moly there have been way too many trips.

Why does that bother you?

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: January 01, 2018, 11:49:15 AM »
My problem is that no reasonable person can have any idea as to what it costs, and we all know this, so using Double Prices as the game feels a bit off to me.

Oh please, anyone paying the attention to the prize description would know the NYC trip was most likely under $9000, while the international trips likely floating around $12,000 - 14,000. This was not that difficult to figure out.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Online sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: January 01, 2018, 01:13:22 PM »
Oh please, anyone paying the attention to the prize description would know the NYC trip was most likely under $9000, while the international trips likely floating around $12,000 - 14,000. This was not that difficult to figure out.

My initial temptation here was to go the snarky route, but we get enough of that around here. So I'll just say that I find this reply to incredibly silly and leave it at that.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker