Author Topic: The Cleveland Browns Make History  (Read 3776 times)

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The Cleveland Browns Make History
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2018, 11:18:42 AM »
Fontes's major issue was not getting a decent enough quarterback to work with Barry Sanders.  Otherwise he might have been able to push them further during his tenure.  Nonetheless, one does have to appreciate how he always managed to find a way to succeed in must-win regular season games--the dreaded "Rasputin games" to use Chris Berman's terminology--time and again. 

Offline The Last Outlaw

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2018, 12:43:54 PM »
I never counted being on the wrong side of history counting as an "accomplishment".  Oh well, such is life.  I predicted this before Week 1 started and sure enough, BOO-YAH!  0-16.  You talk about a team of lovable losers, thy name is the Cleveland Browns.  Unless things change, I'm going on a limb and predicting that they will repeat this feat next season!

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: January 05, 2018, 12:56:45 AM »
Caldwell was mired in mediocrity, and showed how clueless he was coaching, especially with clock management. Wayne Fontes has a decent team, but couldn’t get them to the next level after the 1991 playoff win. I remember plenty of first round exits, and embarrassing exits.

Both deserved to go. Not everyone can be Jeff Fisher- perhaps the definition of 7-9.

The two most embarrassing moments in Lions' history didn't involve Wayne Fontes, but both involved overtime games vs the Bears.  The first was on Thanksgiving in 1979 or 1980 when Dave Williams ran back the overtime kickoff 90+ yards for a walk-off TD.  The second was in the early 2000s when Lions' head coach Marty Mornhinweg opted to kickoff to open the overtime and the Bears won on a walk-off field goal.