Author Topic: Bob Barker's Rerun Embargo  (Read 5715 times)

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
Bob Barker's Rerun Embargo
« on: December 31, 2017, 05:12:02 PM »
Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this possible rumor/innuendo because I don't think it's ever been directly stated before.

It is alleged that the reason you do not see Price reruns on places like BUZZR or (Godforbid) Game Show Network is because Bob Barker has directly refused to allow them to be rebroadcast, primarily because he does not want people like Holly Hallstrom or Dian Parkinson to reap any sort of residuals or royalties from their being rerun.

True or false?

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
Re: Bob Barker's Rerun Embargo
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 05:23:28 PM »
Another main reason is that he is a strong supporter of animal rights, which is why fur coats and other animal-based products are not allowed to be shown. Barker is also known for supporting things made in America, which is why from 1992 to 2008, you only saw cars from Detroit's Big Three offered (with TNPIR94 being the lone exception).

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 05:31:46 PM »
The original ban was only for fur products on the CBS version.  I don't know if the Cullen episodes contained furs or not.
CBS had a hand in stopping the reruns in 2000, saying it was impeding ratings for the new shows.
Bob allegedly was behind not having Holly on the DVD box set.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 06:01:37 PM »
We're not owed any explanation by anyone, but one would certainly be nice.

I've said it enough times to sound like a broken record. The Price is Right is one of the most iconic television shows ever, let alone game shows. It's ridiculous that it's not rerun anywhere in its country of origin and only a few recent seasons are rerun in Canada (are those still a thing?).

No explanation and nothing reasonable comes to mind as to why the show isn't seen in reruns. It can't be because the current show is running concurrently. That's immediately busted as Family Feud is rerun all the time across numerous channels. Wheel of Fortune is rerun on GSN currently. Buzzr and GSN air and have aired Let's Make A Deal. Even Jeopardy! has daytime reruns on some affiliates.

I'd really like to hope Bob isn't petty enough to deny fans an opportunity to enjoy an all-time great and relive their childhood because of a vendetta against a person or persons who didn't even ruin his career or revered status as an American institution. It'd be such a disservice to no only those fans and himself, as he'd be costing himself some pretty great publicity more than likely.

Very curious as to the mystery surrounding the absence of Price reruns from the television landscape.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2017, 06:11:23 PM »
Perhaps someone can confirm or deny this possible rumor/innuendo because I don't think it's ever been directly stated before.

It is alleged that the reason you do not see Price reruns on places like BUZZR or (Godforbid) Game Show Network is because Bob Barker has directly refused to allow them to be rebroadcast, primarily because he does not want people like Holly Hallstrom or Dian Parkinson to reap any sort of residuals or royalties from their being rerun.

True or false?

I don't know the answer to your question, but if Bob is trying to prevent the former models from receiving money, it seems his target is only Holly, based on what was included in the DVD set.  We saw Anitra, Janice and Dian, but none with Holly.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2017, 10:35:23 PM »
Unfortunately, barring episodes with Holly removes nearly everything between 1977 and 1995. Given what Buzzr has stated about "a lot of parties" being interested in the show, I suspect the lack of reruns is not solely due to Barker.

I don't know if the Cullen episodes contained furs or not.
They did. The Cullen series predates the Barker era, and thus did not fall under his ban.

if Bob is trying to prevent the former models from receiving money, it seems his target is only Holly, based on what was included in the DVD set. We saw Anitra, Janice and Dian, but none with Holly.
I cannot find the post, but it was said here at one time that the two episodes with Dian slipped through for the simple reason that everyone involved forgot she was on them.

I did find this post, however...
Janice, Dian, Holly, Kathleen, Nikki, and Claudia are all on bad terms with Bob and the show.
...and I suspect that has not changed too much, if at all. Furthermore, if this post is factually accurate, the original ban initially included Dian and Holly.
« Last Edit: December 31, 2017, 10:44:35 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 02:20:56 AM »
In the age of internet video streaming, we have a plethora of "reruns" available on YouTube that Fremantle collects ad revenue from (per Social Blade estimates, my channel alone generates anywhere from $250 to $4,000 annually for Fremantle).

So.... Fremantle is OK with fans uploading old episodes and gladly monitizes them for revenue.  Is Barker OK with this, or does he even have a say as to how old episodes are treated on the internet vs television? 

Furthermore, are first run episodes on CBS not subject to competition from episodes that can be streamed on YouTube -- a platform I would certainly consider to be in direct competition with CBS for audience attention in this day and age (personally, I watch a heck of a lot more YouTube than I do CBS)?

The arguments posed for why old episodes aren't shown on television anymore might have sufficed a decade ago, but they don't anymore if we're going to allow said episodes to be streamed freely online, albeit not directly through Fremantle.  Online streaming is taking over television, and as we've seen with YouTube, there doesn't seem to be any issue with allowing old episodes to freely circulate.  It makes zero sense for there still to be a holdout with allowing them to air on television.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 01, 2018, 02:47:10 AM »
Is Barker OK with this, or does he even have a say as to how old episodes are treated on the internet vs television? 
Considering that, per Roger's own claims, Barker doesn't even own a computer, much less have any online presence whatsoever, it's likely that he's entirely oblivious to the fact that so many episodes circulate.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: January 01, 2018, 02:54:45 PM »
No explanation and nothing reasonable comes to mind as to why the show isn't seen in reruns. It can't be because the current show is running concurrently. That's immediately busted as Family Feud is rerun all the time across numerous channels. Wheel of Fortune is rerun on GSN currently. Buzzr and GSN air and have aired Let's Make A Deal. Even Jeopardy! has daytime reruns on some affiliates.

Syndication is a different ball game than network programming.  Fremantle can profit from individual stations that can monetize on running the program, and no distributor is going to sacrifice sales that can be had.  As far as the current version of Family Feud is concerned, the program is such passive viewing (you can join at any point and not be lost on the proceedings), it's an easy draw for an audience (to say nothing of the philosophy of programming that nowadays tries to catch people for as long as they can without necessarily putting out a great product).  The ratings success it has somehow managed to have in its current form helps the rerun (abuse) case a lot.

For Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy!, the reruns that are out there are not very old programs (to say nothing of the argument of those programs' declining production values).  Again, they have a passive quality that they can draw viewers in at any point and keep them until the end of the show.  I would also be inclined to believe their relative lack of rerun airings, compared to Family Feud, is a testament to the stronger production values, relatively speaking; that they still see enough value in the product they put out that they don't want to run it into the ground, or worse, lose the paying stations for first-run shows because the audience has lost interest.  Fremantle seems very content to just blast Family Feud onto the airwaves wherever it can, and I would daresay even they would admit the quality of their product is not as great as the show was yesteryear.  The passiveness and turnover of its audience is enough to negate any concerns about viewers falling out of interest in a overexposed, mediocrely-produced program.

While Let's Make a Deal doesn't fall into that category as a network show, the fact is CBS has a very strong, vested interest in the program as the sole broadcaster.  I don't know much on the ins-and-outs of network programming, but I would daresay if CBS was concerned Let's Make a Deal reruns of the former versions on a speciality channel and a digital subchannel were a real threat to the audience of their program, they'd put their foot down and stop Fremantle from letting others run the show.

I'd really like to hope Bob isn't petty enough to deny fans an opportunity to enjoy an all-time great and relive their childhood because of a vendetta against a person or persons who didn't even ruin his career or revered status as an American institution.

Grudges are terribly petty things.

It'd be such a disservice to no only those fans and himself, as he'd be costing himself some pretty great publicity more than likely.

I think he's been getting plenty of great publicity without it, especially since Fremantle seems to want to keep on good terms with him.  They wouldn't want a repeat of hurt feelings when they didn't invite him to the 40th season kickoff a few years back.

So.... Fremantle is OK with fans uploading old episodes and gladly monitizes them for revenue.  Is Barker OK with this, or does he even have a say as to how old episodes are treated on the internet vs television?

I first of all--and anybody who knows better, correct me if I'm wrong--believe Bob's "control" over reruns or the lack thereof is nothing more than a "gentleman's agreement" between Fremantle and him.  Despite what allusions Bob may have made in the press since his retirement, I doubt he has an ownership interest in the show at all (though I would not be surprised if he still receives a royalty or something, perhaps for the games he created or just because he was smart enough to negotiate some kind of post-retirement payroll).

So given how not-tech-savvy Barker is, and how the Internet landscape has changed dramatically in the decade since he retired, I doubt if he ever thought much about Internet streaming of old shows or thinks about it much now, if at all.

As far as Fremantle is concerned, silence is golden for them, and since they do none of the work of letting fans upload copies of old episodes and reap a profit off of them, why wouldn't they allow it?  Again, it generates some of that social media frenzy I know the suits are concerned about.

there doesn't seem to be any issue with allowing old episodes to freely circulate.  It makes zero sense for there still to be a holdout with allowing them to air on television.

Again, I think it largely boils down to Fremantle wanting to stay on good terms with Barker, and the fact that if they did want to put the show out in reruns of old episodes, there are a lot of costs that have to be incurred (digitizing tapes, sales contracts, etc.).  While Buzzr would seem to be their natural avenue, in two and a half years, their distribution is still very limited, so I doubt the cost for reruns of one specific show (even if it is their best product) would generate sufficient profit.  The fact that their episode pool for the shows they air is still as limited as it is after two and a half years is further testament to this.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: January 01, 2018, 10:38:25 PM »
I think he's been getting plenty of great publicity without it, especially since Fremantle seems to want to keep on good terms with him.  They wouldn't want a repeat of hurt feelings when they didn't invite him to the 40th season kickoff a few years back.
This is true. I just think they could elevate it even more if Fremantle dipped into the full library to post clips and memes on Facebook, Twitter, etc. Marathoning entire series runs of shows on Twitch has become a fun little thing and Fremantle has begun to establish a presence there for Buzzr. Could you imagine the attention streaming the entire series would get? With over 8,000 episodes, it'd be an event for the ages.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline FDRfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 08:42:19 PM »
I wonder does the alleged ban extend to Rod as well?

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 09:25:22 PM »
Well, according to one of the recent posts from Roger on FB, this is what it says:

"I recently received a message asking me if Bob Barker was the reason why Price Is Right reruns are not being shown on the Gameshow network. Let me assure everyone, that Bob has nothing to do with the shows not being aired...it is strictly a Fremantlemedia decision. Bob, along with all of us, would love to see the old shows back on TV!"

So I guess there is hope, but there are still hurdles to overcome for the reruns to show again in the future.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 08:06:42 PM »
"I recently received a message asking me if Bob Barker was the reason why Price Is Right reruns are not being shown on the Gameshow network. Let me assure everyone, that Bob has nothing to do with the shows not being aired...it is strictly a Fremantlemedia decision. Bob, along with all of us, would love to see the old shows back on TV!"
Riiiiiiight...just as it was the company that fired Janice and Kathleen, or barred Rod from appearing on-camera.

(And placing all that aside, why GSN? Odds are better that it would appear on Buzzr, as a few clips already have by way of the Game Changers documentary.)
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:16:00 PM by GuyWithFace »

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Kyle

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 09:01:13 PM »
Riiiiiiight...just as it was the company that fired Janice and Kathleen, or barred Rod from appearing on-camera.

Agreed. I'd take anything Barker says about this subject with a grain of salt.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2018, 09:49:55 AM »
I'd take anything Barker and Roger says about this subject with a grain of salt.
Fixed, as this was the intent of my initial response.