Author Topic: October 7, 1974  (Read 548 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Walking the Golden Road
October 7, 1974
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »
Starts at 2:51:49

<a href="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO_ORoH7CM4" target="_blank">http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pO_ORoH7CM4</a>

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: October 7, 1974
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »
I thought that what happened in Double Prices was...rather awkward, with Bob accidentally prematurely revealing the correct price. Personally, regardless of whether it was counted as a technical win (which cannot be confirmed due to the fact that the credits are missing), I believe the game should have ended immediately.

Bob instead insisting that the correct price be put back and the reveal done as normal felt like a rookie mistake, and was awkward in that everyone already knew she lost.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:57:26 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SamJ93

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
I thought that what happened in Double Prices was...rather awkward, with Bob accidentally prematurely revealing the correct price. Personally, regardless of whether it was counted as a technical win (which cannot be confirmed due to the fact that the credits are missing), I believe the game should have ended immediately.

I agree it was awkward, but considering she had already made her decision before Bob accidentally revealed it, I don't see any justification for a technical win.

On another note, what the hell was up with the prices in this episode? Three 3's in a row in Lucky Seven? Only $35 difference between choices in Double Prices? And we think Mike Richards creates some evil setups... :-D

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: Yesterday at 11:58:28 AM »
Just curious ... what did most African safari trips cost back in that day? By my calculations, it couldn't have been more than just over $3,000 (depending on the price of the treehouse that was the other prize in that showcase). I know that by the time African safaris were offered as part of Secret Squares on "The Hollywood Squares," that trip was worth well over $5,000.

As for the Double Prices reveal, I wonder how it would have been handled later on? I know that sometime in the 1980s there was a playing of Punch-a-Bunch where Bob had to hurriedly put back a slip that had accidentally been pulled part of the way out ... and everyone could see (at least at home) that it was a $5,000 slip. (I don't think the contestant saw what was written on it, IIRC.)

Brian

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: Yesterday at 01:42:10 PM »
I know that sometime in the 1980s there was a playing of Punch-a-Bunch where Bob had to hurriedly put back a slip that had accidentally been pulled part of the way out ... and everyone could see (at least at home) that it was a $5,000 slip. (I don't think the contestant saw what was written on it, IIRC.)

Brian
If memory serves, that's the same playing where a slip got knocked behind the board, and Bob awarded the contestant the full $10,000 because "the hole was empty." Also the same day where somebody made a mistake setting up One Away, causing a second tech win that day (and in back-to-back segments, to boot!)