Author Topic: October 7, 1974  (Read 2502 times)

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
October 7, 1974
« on: January 06, 2018, 01:18:13 PM »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
Re: October 7, 1974
« Reply #1 on: January 13, 2018, 09:44:59 PM »
I thought that what happened in Double Prices was...rather awkward, with Bob accidentally prematurely revealing the correct price. Personally, regardless of whether it was counted as a technical win (which cannot be confirmed due to the fact that the credits are missing), I believe the game should have ended immediately.

Bob instead insisting that the correct price be put back and the reveal done as normal felt like a rookie mistake, and was awkward in that everyone already knew she lost.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2018, 09:57:26 PM by GuyWithFace »
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2018, 11:01:08 PM »
I thought that what happened in Double Prices was...rather awkward, with Bob accidentally prematurely revealing the correct price. Personally, regardless of whether it was counted as a technical win (which cannot be confirmed due to the fact that the credits are missing), I believe the game should have ended immediately.

I agree it was awkward, but considering she had already made her decision before Bob accidentally revealed it, I don't see any justification for a technical win.

On another note, what the hell was up with the prices in this episode? Three 3's in a row in Lucky Seven? Only $35 difference between choices in Double Prices? And we think Mike Richards creates some evil setups... :-D

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2018, 11:58:28 AM »
Just curious ... what did most African safari trips cost back in that day? By my calculations, it couldn't have been more than just over $3,000 (depending on the price of the treehouse that was the other prize in that showcase). I know that by the time African safaris were offered as part of Secret Squares on "The Hollywood Squares," that trip was worth well over $5,000.

As for the Double Prices reveal, I wonder how it would have been handled later on? I know that sometime in the 1980s there was a playing of Punch-a-Bunch where Bob had to hurriedly put back a slip that had accidentally been pulled part of the way out ... and everyone could see (at least at home) that it was a $5,000 slip. (I don't think the contestant saw what was written on it, IIRC.)

Brian

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2018, 01:42:10 PM »
I know that sometime in the 1980s there was a playing of Punch-a-Bunch where Bob had to hurriedly put back a slip that had accidentally been pulled part of the way out ... and everyone could see (at least at home) that it was a $5,000 slip. (I don't think the contestant saw what was written on it, IIRC.)

Brian
If memory serves, that's the same playing where a slip got knocked behind the board, and Bob awarded the contestant the full $10,000 because "the hole was empty." Also the same day where somebody made a mistake setting up One Away, causing a second tech win that day (and in back-to-back segments, to boot!)

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 19, 2018, 04:07:21 PM »

Bob instead insisting that the correct price be put back and the reveal done as normal felt like a rookie mistake, and was awkward in that everyone already knew she lost.

Although it was not the same situation, it reminds me of a Pick a Number playing from May of 1993, where the contestant picked the number herself and then lifted up the panel with the missing digit. She was wrong, and Bob then proceeded to demonstrate what she did, using the number that she picked. Rod Roddy then came out and led her offstage.