Author Topic: Great things that happen on game shows  (Read 4630 times)

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Great things that happen on game shows
« on: January 06, 2018, 11:35:08 PM »
I’ve decided to make a list of all the great things that occur from time to time on game shows, past and present. I’ll start off:

- a DSW on The Price is Right
- Pay the Rent/Golden Road/3 Strikes/Triple Play win
- a $100,000/$1,000,000 win on Wheel of Fortune
- a high-stakes Daily Double on Jeopardy!
- someone winning $1,000,000 on “Who Wants To Be a Millionaire?”

Feel free to add on to this list.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Great things that happen on game shows
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 12:09:21 AM »
-A contestant winning 5 or more shows on Jeopardy
-Contestants picking the Big Deal on Let's Make a Deal
-Contestants winning more than $10,000 in the Card Sharks bonus round/winning the car on the Eubanks version
-$1,000,000 wins on Deal or No Deal, 1 vs 100, and Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader
-Contestants winning on Press Your Luck after taking several passed spins in a row without hitting a Whammy.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 12:43:33 AM »
-Contestants winning on Press Your Luck after taking several passed spins in a row without hitting a Whammy.
-Contestants winning on Press Your Luck without hitting any Whammies whatsoever.

And to add something else...
-Any time on Wheel of Fortune where all three players complete a full game without landing on Bankrupt or Lose A Turn even once.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2018, 12:45:38 AM by blozier2006 »

Offline Grand_game2004

• Double Showcase Winner
  • GEORGE GRAY IS A W E S O M E!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 03:42:24 AM »
For me, it's always fun to see someone win the Scrabble Sprint Jackpot, and I love the fanfare used on SOTC when the champion wins the whole lot with all sorts of sirens & bells going off, and I have many others, but I have a few honorable mentions here. Pauline, who became the first person I've ever seen in my lifetime win Check-Out like she did, and then some Canadian person (don't know their name) becoming the first person ever to play Stack The Deck and win the game. When Pauline won Check-Out, my heart skipped a beat, and my jaw literally dropped. I couldn't believe it. What about Vicki Anne who won both showcases on the 35th season premiere? That was TOTALLY unexpected. Even though it doesn't beat some of today's records, it is an honorable record mention, nonetheless.

Offline WooWho

• TPiR Alumnus
  • 1/20/2010
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 01:18:46 AM »
In general, come-from-behind victories. The most epic one I can think of is probably an episode of the Japanese show Panel Quiz Attack 25: the red player had absolutely nothing going into the Attack Chance--didn't even buzz in successfully once--then gave six consecutive correct answers to go from 0 boxes to 20 and win the game.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2018, 04:19:20 AM »
Or what about on TTD, where either X or O has their symbol placed in such a manner on the board that the opponent would have to block two boxes to stop their progress, but yet cannot seal the deal, with the opponent coming back and winning (I'm sure that's happened a lot).

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 02:05:28 PM »
I'm not even sure this has been done in years, but solo Fast Money wins on Family Feud are always fun to watch.

And also, getting a perfect 21 in the main game, then nailing all six Winner's Circle subjects of The $25,000/$100,000 Pyramid, plus matching all six panelists on Match Game, then getting the top answer in the Super Match and winning the Head-to-Head Match. Oh, and winning the Secret Square prize package and the car/cash in the Bonus Round on Hollywood Squares.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 06:45:32 PM »
I'm not even sure this has been done in years, but solo Fast Money wins on Family Feud are always fun to watch.
From what I have gathered, the show has made this outright impossible for at least the past decade.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 02:20:47 PM »
Someone win's the top prize on NBC's the wall- $12,374,994

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 02:10:48 PM »
-Contestants winning on Press Your Luck without hitting any Whammies whatsoever.

Three people (there may have been more) did it in 1984: Margaret, Lois and Geralyn.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2018, 03:53:47 PM »
^Make that (at least) four - Becky Steeler's big $33K+ win was a win with no Whammies hit at all.

ETA: Also remembered Mac from Feb. 1984 winning two games with no Whammies hit, for a total of six so far.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2018, 03:56:50 PM by howierules86 »

Offline Bluescreen_ODeff

• In Contestant's Row
  • Owe love...and owe love.
    • The Sweeping Developer
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2018, 04:04:06 PM »
Someone winning a bunch of cash on Price, followed by $26K more in the SCSD.  Has that happened before?  For example, something like winning $25K in Punchy, and $26K on the wheel.
Ecclesiastes 12:13

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 10:24:02 PM »
Any bonus round that is won just as time expires. Dick Clark put it best when it happened after a really close Winner's Circle win. The first time I saw it, my reaction was exactly as he described. The clock went 4, 3, 2 on "Things on a Stick", and I shook my head. Then, on 1, "Things on a Sti—" BUZZ "—ck." It makes for a really exciting finish every time.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2018, 06:57:19 AM »
^Make that (at least) four - Becky Steeler's big $33K+ win was a win with no Whammies hit at all.

ETA: Also remembered Mac from Feb. 1984 winning two games with no Whammies hit, for a total of six so far.

And I think Kim might have done it on her first game, going against Bo and Craig.

Offline tpirsuperfan99

• In the Audience
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2018, 10:31:01 AM »
Even though I don’t think this happened before, a contestant wins a Car in their pricing game, then wins 26K in the SCSD, and goes on to win both showcases. Has this actually happened before.