Author Topic: What episode of Price would you show to someone who had never seen TPIR?  (Read 3248 times)

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
What episode or episodes of TPIR would you show to someone who had never heard of the show? I would show them either the S35 premiere or the ESP from 9/27/99.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: What episode of Price would you show to someone who had never seen TPIR?
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 08:45:17 PM »
I'd probably show them the first episode from '72 and the first hour long episode with the regular Big Wheel to show them both show formats. Maybe show them an episode from Dream Car or Big Money Week so they can see how special episodes work.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 10:26:11 PM »
I'd probably show a random episode from a span of the late 80's until Holly left. The cast's chemistry played real well on TV despite any turmoil that might've been going on, and this was the time I'd say the show began to become the institution that it is.

I'd also show one of the great episodes from the past five seasons. Probably one of the perfect shows. Perhaps the one with the Strikes. I think it's important to let someone know where the show was and where it is now.
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2018, 02:39:36 PM »
If you really want to go big, might I suggest the very first MDS with Drew, where Adam won a million dollars by being within $1,000 of the ARP of his Showcase (although this would later be lowered to $500). Also Michael scoring another million-dollar DSW and Cynthia winning the big prize in Clock Game in the same series are must-see as well. Honorable mention goes to the 25th and 30th Anniversary Specials, plus the one Special in 1986 where Velma mauled Bob after winning $11,000 on the Big Wheel. Then again, any primetime special where the host wears a tuxedo is worth watching, because IMO, that's the way it should be done! (which may be the reason why I was somewhat disappointed that Bob was in his regular daytime attire when he hosted the MDS from 2003-07)

If we were to restrict this to the daytime edition, then any episode from the Bob/Rod era will do, as that was the golden age of the show. Also recommended is the transition period that would allow us to see how much had changed from Bob's final season to Drew's first.

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2018, 05:10:30 PM »
2/4/03.
John

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 08:28:26 PM »
Bias.  :)

What?  I think every single pricing game that was won on that show was done so with great skill and composure.
John

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 06:03:17 AM »
It would have to be an early 80s Barker episode before Johnny O died.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2018, 10:23:39 AM »
What?  I think every single pricing game that was won on that show was done so with great skill and composure.

One moreso than the rest.

Offline FDRfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2018, 08:39:28 PM »
Rod's wardrobe showcase episode.

Offline wpghi5

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 02:49:43 AM »
Any 80s episode with a dark haired Bob. Lol.  :-D

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 11:51:59 PM »
The episode from early in Season 20 where a grandmotherly contestant named Julia won a car in Temptation after telling Bob all she wanted to win was a car upon her arrival in contestants' row.  Bob's interaction with Julia and the false reveal leading up to Julia's wish coming true was one of my favorite moments in TPIR history.   A close second is the episode from around that same time frame where a college student in the front row of the audience proposed to his girlfriend just before the first item up for bids.