Author Topic: New Pricing Game Idea: Price Pie  (Read 1748 times)

Offline tpir7215

• Walking the Golden Road
New Pricing Game Idea: Price Pie
« on: January 20, 2018, 05:16:50 PM »
You are presented with three non-car prizes and told the TOTAL value of all of them (but not the prices of each individual one).  You are then face with a pie prop.  The outer "crust" would be a physical prop while the "filling" of the "pie" would be a circular screen.  This pie would be split into 10 slices.  Each slice has an outline to separate them.

You are then given a "slice" value.  For example, if the total prize package was $12,000, each "slice" would be worth $1,200.  Each prize is also assigned a pie flavor.  These flavors may vary with each playing, but on holiday specials there would be at least one flavor that fits the theme (for example, pumpkin pie for Thanksgiving and Halloween and apple pie for 4th of July).

So here's the idea: "fill" each "slice" of the "pie" with a flavor corresponding to one of the prizes.  The number of slices of a single flavor represents the price of the prize when multiplied by the slice value.
Also, to make it easier for the contestants, a display at the top would show the current bid for each prize and would update itself as slices are filled.  I'm thinking about this for the method of filling the pie: contestant declares a flavor and how many slices (s)he would like to fill.  The screen would fill the pie starting from the top and going clockwise.  After making their decisions, they would be allowed to make any changes they wanted.  For example, replace one of the blueberry slices with a strawberry slice.  If any changes result in one or more "slices" of a single "flavor" being separated from the other slices of that same flavor (like this: A A A B B B B B B C A C), the screen would automatically adjust the pie so that all slices of matching flavors are next to each other).  If the contestant is right about all three prizes, (s)he wins them.  I'm also considering a prize of something like proportional amounts of the pies of the flavors for that playing for a year or something.  (For example, blueberry, strawberry, and pumpkin are the flavors, and the solution is 2 blueberry, 5 strawberry, and 3 pumpkin; if the contestant wins, they also win a years' supply of pies of those flavors, with the actual number of pies they receive reducing down to 2 blueberry for every 5 strawberry for every 3 pumpkin).  They win nothing if any of them are wrong.

This game could techincally also use a cash prize as one of the prizes, but it would probably have to be something like a fish bowl of $20 bills or something.  The value of the cash would be narrowed down by determining the prices of the other two prizes and just setting the cash prize to the remainder.

Offline PIRfanSince72

Re: New Pricing Game Idea: Price Pie
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2018, 05:35:42 PM »
Sounds like this game would not be a piece of cake.

I kind of see where you're going with this but I don't see it working too well on the show unfortunately due to semi-complex rules plus it sounds like it would require players to have to multiply which is sadly why they ditched Hit-Me a number of years ago.

The visuals sound interesting however I don't know that this would prove a very viable pricing game.

I see where it has elements of Make Your Move between the three different colors of "pie" and having to be right about all three prizes' prices to win the game. 

Given the example of a $12,000 pie, that would require having all 3 prizes being equally divisible by exactly $1,200.  That too could prove rather difficult for the staff I would think.

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2018, 06:25:26 PM »
...it sounds like it would require players to have to multiply which is sadly why they ditched Hit-Me a number of years ago.

That'll be the displays' function: to update itself every time a change is made.
And I'm thinking maybe the inside of the pie should be a touch screen instead and three colored buttons in front of the contestant corresponding to the flavors would be placed.  The contestant would first push the button corresponding to the flavor they wanted and then tap on the slice they wanted to put that flavor in and as mentioned, the corresponding bid display would update itself.
So if the contestant taps a slice with blueberry active, the display for the blueberry prize would add (in this case) $1,200 to the bid and (if there was already a different flavor in that slice) subtract $1,200 from the replaced flavor.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2018, 11:23:02 AM »
It's a variant of "Make Your Move" but to make it more dynamic:

Using a touchscreen, the player only manipulates the price of the car. As they do that, the prices\wedges of the other prizes would adjust accordingly, so no matter what, the combined prices of the prizes stay the same.

Offline tpir7215

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2018, 11:47:45 AM »
It's a variant of "Make Your Move" but to make it more dynamic:

Using a touchscreen, the player only manipulates the price of the car. As they do that, the prices\wedges of the other prizes would adjust accordingly, so no matter what, the combined prices of the prizes stay the same.

The game is specifically focused on manipulating the prices of the non-car prizes.  This game is not played for a car, as I mentioned in the description: "three non-car prizes".