Author Topic: Controversial Opinion: Richard Dawson  (Read 7521 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: Controversial Opinion: Richard Dawson
« Reply #15 on: February 20, 2018, 09:13:43 PM »
How was the syndicated Feud’s market clearance in 1992-94? I know in Detroit, it ended up on a lowly independent with a bad time slot, before moving to a better station when Dawson returned. The daytime Feud had the same fate, though airing at 10AM on a different independent.

I vaguely remember in Hartford, CT, on WFSB-3 we got a double-run of Combs Feud, and the whole hour of Dawson's return in 1994-1995, right before The Price is Right.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 09:18:42 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2018, 12:11:57 AM »
From what I remember, Ray Combs' feud aired twice a day.  CBS version aired on CBS at 10:00am, while the syndicated version aired on NBC at 7:00pm.  The syndicated Feud lasted on NBC through the summer of 1994.  I liked both Richard Dawson and Ray Combs as Family Feud hosts.  But I liked Ray better for two reasons.  One, I was too young to appreciate Richard Dawson's Feud when it was originally on.  In my pre-school mind, at 12:30pm when the theme song came on that meant it was naptime.  Fast forward three years later for Ray's version, and I'm old enough to remember tuning in before going to an Independence Day BBQ with my parents to hear the new host of Family Feud ask, "Hey, What's the first item up for bids?  Being an avid Price is Right fan, I was sold right there.  Two, Ray seemed to have a better rapport with the contestants, and would often sympathize with them.  His mannerisms and voice would set the excitement level during a tiebreaker round or fast money, as his tone would increase in pitch as he'd call out "Survey Said??!!!"  on a final question in Fast Money when the 200 point goal was within reach.  He expressed genuine excitement when a family won fast money, or heartbreak when they'd lose by less than 10 points.  Years later in 1997, I watched both the original Dawson Feud and the short-lived 1994 reboot of Feud and grew an appreciation for Richard Dawson.  I also liked his work as Peter Newkirk on Hogan's Heroes, which I used to watch with my grandfather during summer afternoons as a kid.  By 1997 or 98, I was also mature enough to understand Richard's jokes and references.  One of my favorites was when a contestant during Fast Money gave the genius answer of "September" when Richard asked "Name the month of pregnancy when a woman begins to look pregnant?"  I was laughing for an hour after that.   

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2018, 01:21:30 AM »
Being that Dawson was very close friends with Barker, it often makes me wonder why they never appeared on each other's respective show, and their concurrent appearances on Tattletales and Match Game don't count here. I could see why that could not be done the first time around, as the original Feud was on a competing network (although Match Game was also on CBS, and Dawson could've appeared on TPIR then), and when the show returned on CBS, Barker and Combs made crossover appearances on the two shows. But still, I think that at least a guest appearance from each other would've been nice.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2018, 08:25:01 AM »
Except Richard did appear on TPIR - in early Season 4.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2018, 06:52:31 PM »
From what I remember, Ray Combs' feud aired twice a day. CBS version aired on CBS at 10:00am, while the syndicated version aired on NBC at 7:00pm. The syndicated Feud lasted on NBC through the summer of 1994.
While the syndicated version did indeed air on NBC stations, it was not an NBC network series.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2018, 02:50:15 PM »
While the syndicated version did indeed air on NBC stations, it was not an NBC network series.
It was the same story when the original daytime series aired on ABC.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2018, 08:17:16 PM »

It also aired (as did the original Dawson syndicated version) on a CBS (owned and operated) station in Philadelphia. WCAU actually moved the Combs syndicated version into the 10 am slot after the network version went away.