Author Topic: Happy 10th Anniversary, Drew!  (Read 5249 times)

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Happy 10th Anniversary, Drew!
« Reply #15 on: February 19, 2018, 09:05:34 AM »
I am hopeful that many here have come to acceptance with Drew now over the course of these past 10+ years now. I was always accepting of him in the beginning, but it took a few years down the road to see the difference between the mistakes and bad habits he had in the beginning and the way he does things much better now. May the show continue for a long time with Drew.

I certainly have-- granted, Bob does have his place in the pantheon of television's greatest (scandals notwithstanding), but Drew and George, as one poster said in that thread on The State of TPIR 2017, have reminded me very much of what Bob and Rod were like back in the day (the back-and-forth banter, George's calldown window, etc.).

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2018, 12:20:39 PM »
On a positive note, I hear "welcometotheshownicetoseeyouwhereyoufro m" might soon be added to Webster's Dictionary.  :roll:

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #17 on: February 19, 2018, 01:03:29 PM »
Do we know that for sure now? With all the editing, whose to say they couldn't stop down and edit if they know they want one contestant to play a certain pricing game?

Program Practices, for one.

I was very excited when Paul won the fifth One Bid. If I remember correctly, the bonus being in the same window was a coincidence.

They couldn't have done so in the "live to tape" days, but Roger said even then they had backup games ready in an emergency.

By which he meant that it was possible to stop for five or ten minutes while the stagehands went back to retrieve Money Game while at the same time, he quickly made up a grid to accommodate the price of the car already behind the door.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline SonicWhammy

• In the Audience
  • Just Brian Sapinski... for now
« Reply #18 on: February 19, 2018, 01:05:35 PM »
I am surprised the show lasted ten years with Drew Carey.
Well, that was a far-fetched prospect for sure in the beginning. Even I admit that I was much kinder to him at first that most, but then, it took his evolution over the years to see the flaws at the start. But he's a great host now, no question.

But one thing is for sure: They could have cast perfectly from who was around 11 years ago to name Bob's replacement, and there would have been rejection simply because it's not Bob hosting. This had to happen one day, it couldn't be helped. And we're gonna have the same conversation about Pat and Alex, too. (Heck, my team talked about Alex already, we're editing that episode.) Bottom line: Change will never be easy, and it's a testament to CBS, to Drew, and to us, that we all believed enough in the show that they would do everything they had to do to make it work, and that today, that's what it does.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2018, 02:24:00 PM »
They could have cast perfectly from who was around 11 years ago to name Bob's replacement, and there would have been rejection simply because it's not Bob hosting. This had to happen one day, it couldn't be helped.
True.  But the unknown factor is - how long would the new guy bashing have gone, and would it have been as severe and intense as it was for Drew?  I have to admit that even though Drew's been doing the show for ten years now, I'm surprised to see that the people here on Golden Road seem to have finally accepted him, or at least are more tolerant of him now than he was when he started.  (I'm not saying that's a bad thing, I'm just expressing how I perceive it to be, and my surprise at the presumed situation.)

And we're gonna have the same conversation about Pat and Alex, too.

True again, but I wonder if it will be to the same extent and intensity as it was for/to Drew.  I suppose it will depend on who is selected to replace them.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #20 on: February 19, 2018, 02:31:24 PM »
Program Practices, for one.
I was very excited when Paul won the fifth One Bid. If I remember correctly, the bonus being in the same window was a coincidence.

By which he meant that it was possible to stop for five or ten minutes while the stagehands went back to retrieve Money Game while at the same time, he quickly made up a grid to accommodate the price of the car already behind the door.

Thanks for answering, Scott. I will happily yield to your particular expertise on this!  :-)
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place