Author Topic: Possible origin of the iconic TPIR dollar mark?  (Read 3480 times)

Offline wvoutlaw2002

• In Contestant's Row
    • XXCE Linux
Possible origin of the iconic TPIR dollar mark?
« on: February 17, 2018, 04:31:53 PM »
A while back, I was watching a video on YouTube from Techmoan. (I love his videos about retro tech.) Well anyway, he had a video about a long-forgotten audio format called PlayTape.

(Posting a link to the video because this board claims it's an invalid YouTube link.)

The one thing which struck me the most about the video was the PlayTape logo. I immediately thought, "that looks so much like the TPIR dollar mark". So I decided to edit the PT logo in GIMP, and came up with the TPIR dollar mark.

I attached the PT logo and TPIR dollar mark (made from the PT logo in GIMP) for comparison purposes.

Question: Is this the true origin of the TPIR dollar mark?
« Last Edit: February 17, 2018, 04:35:20 PM by wvoutlaw2002 »

Offline Mr. Weatherman

Re: Possible origin of the iconic TPIR dollar mark?
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2018, 10:40:43 PM »
Ooooh, a Techmoan video I haven't seen before... I love Techmoan! :P

I tell you what, that's a striking similarity and a heck of a coincidence, at the very least.  My guess is that either this is indeed where the Price logo originates, or there's another ancestor somewhere that both logos happen to have in common.

Very cool find!
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2018, 01:07:39 AM »
I'm also quite the Techmoan fan.  Could they have perhaps been designed by the same person?

The actual retail price is...

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: February 18, 2018, 11:50:06 AM »
The similarities are too close. One wonders if both came from an archaic font set.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2018, 10:06:51 AM »
That's an interesting find, probably because it highlights a company that I have never heard of until now.

Offline wvoutlaw2002

• In Contestant's Row
    • XXCE Linux
« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2018, 01:36:48 AM »
That's an interesting find, probably because it highlights a company that I have never heard of until now.

I too had never heard of PlayTape until I watched Techmoan's video. It's just a scaled down 8 track player. The tapes go for high prices on eBay.

I will have to do more research, but I have a feeling that Mark Goodson saw the PT logo and used that as inspiration for the dollar mark...that is if Goodson.himself designed the TPIR logo.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2018, 01:40:46 AM by wvoutlaw2002 »

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 10:38:36 PM »
That's a nice analogy to the Pricedown dollar sign origin...but when I really look at that image at a different perspective, it reminds me more of the Finger Furniture logo (if you don't know what that is, it was an old furniture store in Houston, TX. that went out of business during the recession).
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!