Author Topic: Model quirks in the Carey era  (Read 3009 times)

Offline BringItOnHome

• Outside in Line
Model quirks in the Carey era
« on: February 20, 2018, 05:10:58 PM »
So much has been talked about the characteristics of the Barker Beauties during the "golden age" of the show but I'd like to have a discussion about some of the things I've noticed have become commonplace in the last eight years or so.

It seems that since Drew took over, the models were given much more influence in the show's happenings. For one thing, they could interact with Drew during the games and one-bids now that they were mic'd. For a while many of them would also dance with Drew during the handoff at the start of the show.

Something else I noticed is that starting around season 37 some of the models would mouth the words "if the Price is Right" (or sometimes just "Price is Right") along with the announcer at the end of a showcase. I think Lanisha may have been the one who started it, but Manuela picked it up more the season after that, and soon after Rachel and Amber - and Tiffany Coyne on occasion when she was filling in - would do it as well. Now it doesn't happen as often. Does anyone know specifically when this started? I have a feeling Scott Robinson might know.

Anything else to add to this list?

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Model quirks in the Carey era
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2018, 07:11:40 AM »
I wouldn't call them "quirks" but during the Drew era we saw models that were pregnant, took maternity leave and then returned to their positions which is great.  We also saw two male models added to the cast along with a Hispanic model as part of the cast.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2018, 11:54:10 PM »
I've always liked the rapport that Drew has had with the models as well as the announcers, currently George Gray.  I've enjoyed tuning into TPIR since the 1980s, and it's great to see this show still going strong for a new generation of fans. 

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2018, 03:45:13 PM »
One of the quirks that has happened over the past decade is that models will just smile and wave to the camera like they just got there instead of trying to interact or gesture to the actual prize they're standing next to. It looks ridiculous to me; if they can't come up with anything more useful to do than wave, they aren't needed for that prize.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline PriceFan87

• Outside in Line
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2018, 07:11:58 PM »
Something else I noticed is that starting around season 37 some of the models would mouth the words "if the Price is Right" (or sometimes just "Price is Right") along with the announcer at the end of a showcase. I think Lanisha may have been the one who started it, but Manuela picked it up more the season after that, and soon after Rachel and Amber - and Tiffany Coyne on occasion when she was filling in - would do it as well. Now it doesn't happen as often. Does anyone know specifically when this started?

I'm pretty sure this traces back way beyond the start of the Carey era because I seem to remember Dian doing this as well. Either the late 70s or early 80s episodes before the director would transition with a wipe before the end of the V/O. I always assumed that this practice was revived specifically as a nod to the past. Someone here could probably back me up though - could just be a wonky memory  :D.

Offline BringItOnHome

• Outside in Line
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2018, 07:32:47 PM »
I'm pretty sure this traces back way beyond the start of the Carey era because I seem to remember Dian doing this as well. Either the late 70s or early 80s episodes before the director would transition with a wipe before the end of the V/O. I always assumed that this practice was revived specifically as a nod to the past. Someone here could probably back me up though - could just be a wonky memory  :D.

Maybe you're right but I don't remember (and couldn't find) any episodes where this is the case. The earliest known instance I can find this is when Lanisha did it during the train depot showcase on October 14, 2008. Then again, maybe you mean the showcase skits when the models are trying to mime and match their lips with the announcer. Brandi and Rachel were pros at this. On another note, it's a shame that the skits have seemingly been retired for good. They're probably considered too corny nowadays.