Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 2/23/2018 (TPiR Season 46 Big Money Week - Day V)  (Read 11062 times)

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: TPiR Recap - 2/23/2018 (TPiR Season 46 Big Money Week - Day V)
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2018, 03:59:28 PM »
I seem to be one of the few that genuinely enjoyed $200,000 Rent. I enjoyed everything for the most part this week.

The only minor problem I have was the cheapo cars with $5,000 added on. I mean, come on. It's not Dream Car Week. However, I would've killed for more cars in the high-20s, low 30s, some 40s.

I'm still hoping for the day they offer full-size Cadillac XTSs (or whatever the equivalent to the old Deville is) or the successor Lincoln to the former Town Car is once again, or they offer the new Lincoln Continental. Or even a guzzied-up Chrysler 300 (why no Imperial?).

How awesome would that be? (Not to say offering high-end Mercedes-Benzes or BMWs or Porsches is a bad thing ... but I'd love to see a high-end domestic luxury vehicle that is not a mid-sized or crossover or sports car be offered.

But that's a discussion for another week.

Meantime, there is NO rule saying that Pay the Rent cannot be set up for a win with a solution of least-to-greatest in ascending order. That was simply the solution today, but it doesn't mean that it will be the next playing.

Today, it worked for the Jody and it was a well-deserved win. Just enjoy the victory, folks! :)

Brian

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2018, 04:06:21 PM »
Offering the cash equivalent for prizes won was also too gimmicky for my taste, but at least the lineup had a lot more variety than the all cash show.

Congratulations to Jody for the huge haul, but man was Pay the Rent generous. As long as the vitamins were put in the attic there were very few ways to mess up.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2018, 06:56:17 PM »
Speaking of records, I count $259,020 in cash.  That's the most cash given away in a single episode (beating whatever was given away in a previous Big Money Week episode with a $210,000 Cliff Hangers win), right?

Something else I noticed: is this the first Big Money Week where they didn't try to give away a "dream car" as well?

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2018, 07:13:43 PM »
Speaking of records, I count $259,020 in cash.  That's the most cash given away in a single episode (beating whatever was given away in a previous Big Money Week episode with a $210,000 Cliff Hangers win), right?

Something else I noticed: is this the first Big Money Week where they didn't try to give away a "dream car" as well?

I mean, only two episodes besides this episode have breached $250K, and one was the Gas Money Best of episode, and the other was the Season 35 premiere, so I say that's accurate for daytime.

As for the second statement: Only the very first two times did they try to give away dream cars as part of the gimmick.

Honestly, I honestly do like the $200K win on Pay the Rent. However, all for times Rent has been won, it was on a special (Big Money #1, July 4th, Breast Cancer, Today), so I honestly think that there has to be someway to make it so that a non special episode can result in a win.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2018, 09:06:13 PM »
Also, take a wild guess what pricing game is the game of the day!

"Guess the Price"... That's the Showcase, not a game, for goodness sake  :P
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2018, 09:06:53 PM »
A pay the taxes episode....sounds like a H&R Block sponsored April episode to me

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2018, 09:20:17 PM »
I'm glad to see plenty of (well-deserved) criticism about this episode here.

Pay the Rent seals it fate as the worst Price game of all-time today. I wonder if when it was created it was designed to be super flexible on the difficulty?

Sure, Pay the Rent was TOO generous for $200K. 11 possible solutions does that. However, I'll argue that if that win hadn't have happened, the only notable thing about this show is That's Too Much

This is exactly the problem with having all these gimmick weeks once a season. You feel pressure from a producing standpoint to ensure there's a big moment so you get in the news. But when you get as desperate as they did here, it does not come off as legitimate in any way. They should have said mrrp it and have the week wipe out. What's the point of wasting 200k of budget when it's not even the clip of the day on Youtube?

It's a different TV era now, but the formula the 90s and 00s used of 190 plain old regular shows, a couple specials here and there, all mostly set up the same, and let moments just HAPPEN. Don't force anything in sweeps cycles and then bury shows set up to give away literally nothing elsewhere. This is why I will always hate Mike Richards, and I'll leave it at that.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2018, 09:27:17 PM by Wayoshi »
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2018, 09:35:45 PM »
Today was the 1st Showcase Showdown since October 27 where someone won money in their bonus spin.

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2018, 09:52:47 PM »
Pay the Rent seals it fate as the worst Price game of all-time today. I wonder if when it was created it was designed to be super flexible on the difficulty?
Agreed.  In fact, the only way to have lost at the $10K --> $200K level was to have not put the most expensive by far item in the attic.  As much as I love to see big amounts of money won, it feels like a farce when they make winning that sum so ludicrously easy on a "special" episode but then have the rest of the year's playings only have one or two solutions that require putting the 3rd or 4th most expensive item in the mailbox.

Offline plinkowin2010

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2018, 07:18:43 AM »
I miss when the show just had regular shows and let surprising moments happen whenever they would play games for expensive prizes or cash like, 3 strikes, Plinko, triple play, or non car game like now or then, bonus game or clock game would be played for a car. The showcases would offer two or three cars.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2018, 10:14:51 AM »

No, you're giving them way too much credit, IMO. They (meaning, apparently, Adam Sandler) created a game that would offer $100K as a gimmick, and when they quickly saw that that amount would probably never be won with only one correct solution, started compromising the concept to force a few wins, because having one cash game where the advertised top prize is all-but-impossible to win looks bad enough. I don't think they're anywhere near as clever as you think they are.

This is why I will always hate Mike Richards, and I'll leave it at that.

...aaaaaand there we go off the deep end.  :roll:

Offline TheBigAK

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2018, 11:28:10 AM »
I didn't double check this, but 11 combinations to win PTR?

When Wheel did Big Money Week.    Could you imagine them putting 11  $100,000 cards in play?
I'm TheBigAK...and I APPROVE this post.

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2018, 04:33:04 PM »
I didn't double check this, but 11 combinations to win PTR?

When Wheel did Big Money Week.    Could you imagine them putting 11  $100,000 cards in play?

Imagine that happening plus the contestant taking the Millionaire Dollar wedge to the BR too. It'll be the DOND Million Dollar Mission all over again.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline Mewtwo

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2018, 08:55:22 PM »
Imagine that happening plus the contestant taking the Millionaire Dollar wedge to the BR too. It'll be the DOND Million Dollar Mission all over again.

I do wish there would be something where you could guarantee the puzzle in the bonus round was for $1,000,000, or at least $100,000.  Like...taking some special wedge to the bonus round revamps the entire wheel, instead of the prizes going from 35k to 50k and a single 100k, start at 100k, 150k, 200,, a couple 250k, and one 1m.

Another idea - have every single prize and dollar lost to a bankrupt accumulate in a jackpot, a la the "Big Bank" on new-era Press Your Luck.  Except it carries over between shows.  The million dollar wedge doesn't count, but if someone lost a $10,000 wedge to a bankrupt, that would.  Half-car wedges count in that every two lost to bankrupt add a car to this jackpot.  It carries over between shows and keeps growing until it's won.  Seed it with $100,000 at the start.

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2018, 09:08:28 PM »

Another idea - have every single prize and dollar lost to a bankrupt accumulate in a jackpot, a la the "Big Bank" on new-era Press Your Luck.  Except it carries over between shows.  The million dollar wedge doesn't count, but if someone lost a $10,000 wedge to a bankrupt, that would.  Half-car wedges count in that every two lost to bankrupt add a car to this jackpot.  It carries over between shows and keeps growing until it's won.  Seed it with $100,000 at the start.
How would you win this jackpot?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!