Author Topic: Most Unfairly Maligned Pricing Game(s)  (Read 6979 times)

Offline BonusShell

• In Contestant's Row
Most Unfairly Maligned Pricing Game(s)
« on: March 02, 2018, 11:44:00 PM »
Which pricing game(s) do you think is (are) the most unfairly maligned? My vote for most maligned pricing game would go to On the Spot. I know the game got a lot of criticism, but I actually enjoyed it, as it had a rather unique pricing concept. Also, I don't think that its set was as hideous as many thought.

All that said, I do feel that On the Spot's set was a bit underwhelming. I think that having an elevated board that lighted up as correct selections were made (similar to what Pathfinder has) would have benefited this game. This is a bit off-topic, but I think that Let 'em Roll really benefited after its set was enlarged.

Also, I'm not sure if Split Decision is all that maligned by people on this board, but it was unfair how some thought that the game's prop frequently fell apart. As others have pointed out, that was a popular misconception, since that happened only once.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Most Unfairly Maligned Pricing Game(s)
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2018, 02:18:03 AM »
Joker.  Sure the game board looked like producers picked it up at a junkyard, but I actually liked the game play and the pricing element of the game was unique when compared to other small prize games like Shell Game, Bonus Game, or Five Price Tags.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2018, 06:30:50 AM »
$uper $aver. It got retired because of one mistake! Pity, it was a very good grocery game that was quick to play.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2018, 12:21:00 PM »
I've always thought people were a little too unfair with criticizing That's Too Much. Not every game can be easy and it's a pure and simple test of pricing knowledge with no luck element or second chances. The problem with it is more how the game is set up more than the game itself.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #4 on: March 03, 2018, 12:36:15 PM »
My vote goes to Clearance Sale. Many people write it off as an Eazy az 1 2 3 clone, and while in execution it had the same gameplay (put the lowest sale price on the least expensive prize, etc.), the thought process needed to win is quite different. Contestants had to estimate the prices of each of the three prizes, and then decide which sale price is just underneath the ARPs so that they would win. It added an extra layer of complexity that was absent from Eazy az 1 2 3. Also, the set and presentation of the game were flashier than Eazy's.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2018, 01:02:10 PM »
$uper $aver. It got retired because of one mistake! Pity, it was a very good grocery game that was quick to play.

In this $uper $aver playing from 1992, Bob made a mistake explaining the rules as the contestant was about to pick her third item:

Had she not won outright, I wonder if they would have just declared a technical win rather than retire the game?
« Last Edit: March 03, 2018, 01:05:19 PM by Brian44 »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #6 on: March 03, 2018, 04:40:28 PM »
$uper $aver. It got retired because of one mistake!
The mistake being (as noted in this post related to a Roger appearance on Stu's Show in 2015) that CBS wanted Barker to modify how he explained the game. Bob opted to retire the game instead.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 03, 2018, 06:50:55 PM »
Bump kinda had an early demise, unfortunately. The whole "wind up and let 'er bump" spiel from Barker, along with the lawsuit with Dian doomed a good game. Ironically, with the current #MeToo movement, the game wouldn't stand a chance today played in that same manner.

Bump would be interesting if they revived it as a pricing game played on the turntable video wall, and let it becone the first computer animated game.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Online Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 03, 2018, 07:03:51 PM »
I do think Bump could be played without all the suggestiveness that went with it in the past, without much other modifications required...

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2018, 03:57:59 AM »
I do think Bump could be played without all the suggestiveness that went with it in the past, without much other modifications required...

It just wouldn’t be the same. The game is remembered far more for the suggestiveness than the actual play.

Offline greg

« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2018, 09:07:21 AM »
Let James Bump & there would be no controversy

Online Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2018, 10:02:12 AM »
It just wouldn’t be the same. The game is remembered far more for the suggestiveness than the actual play.
I guess I'm of the opinion that a good chunk of the viewing audience today, except for fans like us, won't remember it much at all - it hasn't been played in over 26 years. 

Offline CaptainPrice

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: March 05, 2018, 01:11:42 PM »
$uper $aver, Split Decision and Joker for reasons already mentioned.

If anything, the eventual last playing of Split Decision should be blamed for its retirement. (Where Bob berated Jason for guessing the dishwasher was $512 twice) Not the numbers falling off, which only happened once.

Offline PIRfanSince72

« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2018, 08:42:01 AM »
I'd like to cast my vote for Mystery Price.  It was a 4 small prize game that was very unique and it's most unfortunate that it was retired after just 17 playings, with a decent win/loss record of 11 wins and 6 losses.

Offline ShootingDio

• In the Audience
  • I can explain.
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2018, 03:19:05 PM »
Fortune Hunter.

More like Misfortune Hunter since it got retired due to a 100% loss ratio in Season 28. I think it was better off as a prototype of Half Off.