Author Topic: Pricing game predictability  (Read 3632 times)

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
Pricing game predictability
« on: March 10, 2018, 08:28:49 AM »
As a long long long time watcher of the show, whenever a car drives out onto the stage, right away we know it's Lucky Seven that's going to be played.  I wish they could create another pricing game with that same set up so we might be surprised sometimes.

For example, if a player goes to the turntable and a car is the prize, we know it will be Money Game or Cover Up or possibly Switcheroo, but at least there's 3 possibilities instead of just one.  Yes, technically there could be more possibilities as they sometimes will play Squeeze Play, Push Over or Coming or Going for a car (I personally hate when quick games like these are played for automobiles).

One reason I liked Split Decision is it was a very similar set up to Any Number.  The only reason I could tell which game was being played was Rod would say "and a brand new car" for Split Decision versus him saying "or a brand new car" for Any Number.  Now, and for over 20 years when a 3 digit prize is shown first, right away we know it will be Any Number being played.  I prefer to be a little bit surprised with which pricing game is being played.  To that end, I wish they could somehow bring back Split Decision and also come up with a sister game for Lucky Seven, much like Money Game and Cover Up are sister games, ditto Dice Game and One Away...at the price tag a car is shown, you know it will be one of these 2 games but you don't know which one.

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pricing game predictability
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2018, 08:40:00 AM »
I have always been curious why they didn't play more games from the right side of door 2, like they do for Five Price Tags and Safecrackers, for the reason you state. Just something to mix it up.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2018, 11:38:37 AM »
There are certainly little things they can do to make some games less obvious. Maybe keep Safe Crackers hidden like they used to back in the day to keep us guessing “is it 5PT or SC?”. While I am a fan of having Race Game outside the curtain just for the footwear banter alone, they could always hide it to make it less obvious.

I actually think one of the most obvious reveals now is Card Game. When you are at the turntable and the camera swoops in to Door 3, you know that puppy is gonna be driving out on stage to join the Card Club.

I went to a taping recently, and I was actually completely surprised how obvious certain games were. No spoilers, but one game was already set before the contestants even bid, and I would have certainly thrown my bid so early in the show if I saw that game. :oldlol:

Offline GR_Man_9009

• BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 11:43:45 AM »

I went to a taping recently, and I was actually completely surprised how obvious certain games were. No spoilers, but one game was already set before the contestants even bid, and I would have certainly thrown my bid so early in the show if I saw that game. :oldlol:
Do you know when this show will air?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Joe

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 06:03:46 PM »
I've never understood why the show doesn't use more opportunities to mix things up either.  For instance:
  • I thought it was interesting to see Golden Road played in a slot other than first and I think they should do this more often.  (I also think it would be interesting to see an audience entrance every once in a while.)
  • Money Game and Squeeze Play were at one time played center stage rather than on the turntable - what's stopping the producers from doing this now?  It could also be done with other games, such as Cover Up.
  • I liked how Hi-Lo used to be brought out before the prize being played for was introduced, because it was something unique and distinctive for that game.

In short, if a game lends itself to different staging options, I wish the producers would utilize those options.  If an element of surprise can be added to the show, why not throw in a change every so often?
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 06:06:08 PM by Joe »

Offline Josh444

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
Do you know when this show will air?

May 7th

Offline GR_Man_9009

• BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 07:20:30 PM »
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 08:13:28 PM »
I've never understood why the show doesn't use more opportunities to mix things up either.  For instance:

I thought it was interesting to see Golden Road played in a slot other than first and I think they should do this more often.

I would think it's mostly because how often they offered motor homes in the Barker era, as it was easier to set up the studio with an item that large. And after all these decades, it would really seem odd seeing it in another slot, as well.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2018, 09:03:27 PM »
That's why I miss how Triple Play used to be revealed , they went to a door without panning the camera to the left. Once you see it play now , it's so obvious when they go to the left door 1st that Triple Play is going to be play,

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2018, 11:30:57 PM »
I would think it's mostly because how often they offered motor homes in the Barker era, as it was easier to set up the studio with an item that large. And after all these decades, it would really seem odd seeing it in another slot, as well.
Golden Road was played 2nd last season on the December 20 show. It was also played 3rd on its debut believe it or not.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2018, 03:07:01 AM »
That's why I miss how Triple Play used to be revealed , they went to a door without panning the camera to the left. Once you see it play now , it's so obvious when they go to the left door 1st that Triple Play is going to be play,

You mean the shot of Door #1 and the music that wasn't used in any other game didn't tip you off? :confused:
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline greg

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2018, 10:03:37 AM »
I miss the Triple Play set that used to be behind all 3 doors, with the logo only appearing behind the third door.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2018, 11:37:03 AM »
There are certainly little things they can do to make some games less obvious.

Two notions immediately come to mind:

First, for those who do or once did watch the show to the degree the average poster here does, it's a nice little treat for us to know ahead of everyone else what game's about to be played.

Second, it's common sense that the average viewer does not watch carefully enough to notice such things. More and more these days -- and this has been the case for YEARS -- the show is on as a background while other things are happening in the home. People aren't glued to the set watching every little thing. Following a pattern makes it easier for the crew and it frankly doesn't really make a difference to most viewers.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Brian44

• 4/22/1996
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2018, 12:29:25 PM »
  • Money Game and Squeeze Play were at one time played center stage rather than on the turntable - what's stopping the producers from doing this now?  It could also be done with other games, such as Cover Up.

Of course, the opposite happened with Danger Price before it got its makeover in 1986. I'm guessing it was because it was hard for the contestants to see all 4 prizes from the turntable? More often than not, whenever I see them playing the game from the turntable, the contestant always seem to ask what prize # such-and-such is.

Didn't someone here once state that, when coming up with new pricing games, they always try to make them fit on the timetable because it's much easier and quicker from a staging standpoint from there?

There are certainly little things they can do to make some games less obvious. Maybe keep Safe Crackers hidden like they used to back in the day to keep us guessing “is it 5PT or SC?”

That change was made toward the end of Bob's tenure when they gained more commercial time and did everything they possibly could to shave seconds off the show.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2018, 12:41:39 PM by Brian44 »

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2018, 03:17:31 PM »
You mean the shot of Door #1 and the music that wasn't used in any other game didn't tip you off? :confused:

Or that they show you the car and then nothing happens (no description is given) where it would be described in other games?