Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 3/5/2018  (Read 10184 times)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: TPiR Recap - 3/5/2018
« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2018, 03:19:21 AM »
The beginning of Punch a Bunch was the funniest thing I've seen on the show in a long time.

Speaking of Punch a Bunch, why are you people calling the $25,000 bill "the check?" :confused:

This was a weird lineup.  A cash game first, then four quickies in a row, with two one-prizers second and third and two multi-prizers fourth and fifth, and then a GP/car sixth.  The whole thing seemed markedly off-kilter.

I just realized- We just had a Versa this past Friday, so that is a sign that we are in budget mode.

Not really -- the shows in question were taped two and a half months apart.

OK.  OBVIOUS OPINION ALERT!  I absolutely, unequivocally HATE Stack The Deck!  Is it just me or is it absolutely the hardest car game on Price?

This is often a valid criticism, but Stack the Deck was actually pretty winnable on this episode.

I don't see why Stack The Deck is so hated.  If a smart player takes it on, it's often a gimme.

No it isn't.  That's ludicrous.

None of [the car games] are "easy".

Ten Chances would like a word with you.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2018, 12:49:26 PM »
The beginning of Punch a Bunch was the funniest thing I've seen on the show in a long time.

Speaking of Punch a Bunch, why are you people calling the $25,000 bill "the check?" :confused:

This was a weird lineup.  A cash game first, then four quickies in a row, with two one-prizers second and third and two multi-prizers fourth and fifth, and then a GP/car sixth.  The whole thing seemed markedly off-kilter.

Not really -- the shows in question were taped two and a half months apart.

This is often a valid criticism, but Stack the Deck was actually pretty winnable on this episode.

No it isn't.  That's ludicrous.

Ten Chances would like a word with you.

Yes it is.  In this episode's case if the 3 picks were won and the back 3 digits selected, the remaining digits left to guess the first two numbers would have been 0 1 5 and 8.  Meaning there was only two real options for the car price. 1 and 5 or 1 and 8.

Also 10 Chances falls into skill mixed with luck.  Because you really only have 8 chances for the car, provided you get the 2 and 3 digit prize correct in one go.  But like knowing the strategy for Cover Up to make it easier, knowing the Zero rule makes 10 Chances easier.   

Plinko is the worst game the show ever made.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #17 on: March 15, 2018, 02:29:55 PM »

Yes it is.  In this episode's case if the 3 picks were won and the back 3 digits selected, the remaining digits left to guess the first two numbers would have been 0 1 5 and 8.  Meaning there was only two real options for the car price. 1 and 5 or 1 and 8.

Also 10 Chances falls into skill mixed with luck.  Because you really only have 8 chances for the car, provided you get the 2 and 3 digit prize correct in one go.  But like knowing the strategy for Cover Up to make it easier, knowing the Zero rule makes 10 Chances easier.

I guarantee you it isn't set up nice most of the time. Let's say the numbers we get are 0 1 2 4 5 8 9. They can set up the rear numbers to be XX548. Now what's left? A 19, 20, or 21K car. Hope knowing everything includes the price of the car, especially with cheap models with a lot of options.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #18 on: March 15, 2018, 02:48:37 PM »

Okay, that's great, but it's also not what you said.  You said Stack the Deck is "often a gimme."  That's demonstrably false.

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #19 on: March 15, 2018, 04:15:58 PM »
I guarantee you it isn't set up nice most of the time. Let's say the numbers we get are 0 1 2 4 5 8 9. They can set up the rear numbers to be XX548. Now what's left? A 19, 20, or 21K car. Hope knowing everything includes the price of the car, especially with cheap models with a lot of options.
Okay, that's great, but it's also not what you said.  You said Stack the Deck is "often a gimme."  That's demonstrably false.

Actually I checked a lot of playings on Youtube.  If the back three digits are won it usually boils down to a 50/50 chance most of the time,  (Some cases are 1/3 and rarer cases have had 4 options or only one viable option.)  When I say "often a gimme" I mean when you have a smart contestant who is playing and has watched the show enough to note past car prices.  Yes many set-ups can leave a challenging 1k difference between choices but as I've stated with car games. There is always degrees of uncertainty. (Like having 4/5 picks in 5 Price Tags. While a small chance, you can still lose the game.)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #20 on: March 15, 2018, 05:10:01 PM »
FYI, the best strategy for playing 5 Price Tags if you win all four choices but don't have a clue to the price is to pick the three middle prices first. There is usually a $4,000 difference between the lowest and highest prices. That should give you some idea of the price of the car.
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: March 15, 2018, 05:19:55 PM »
... it usually boils down to a 50/50 chance most of the time, ....

Isn't this how often Sex Panther works in the movie Anchorman?

Anyway....it's always helpful to check Scorpz's site for these things.
In seasons 41-45, Stack the Deck was 7 of 65, a robust 12% win percentage. So let's admit it's hard as hell.
In those 65 playings, a contestant got all 3 grocery prizes right only 12 times.
The exact situation you described happened 5 times, with 2 wins.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #22 on: March 15, 2018, 05:43:12 PM »
If the back three digits are won

They usually aren't, and they're usually set up not to be.

When I say "often a gimme" I mean when you have a smart contestant who is playing and has watched the show enough to note past car prices.

Dude, I've seen every show since the last month of Season 27, and I can't win Stack the Deck most of the time.

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #23 on: March 15, 2018, 06:27:58 PM »
They usually aren't, and they're usually set up not to be.

True it's just like the majority of games.  They can be a cake walk set up or downright insanely hard. 

Dude, I've seen every show since the last month of Season 27, and I can't win Stack the Deck most of the time.
FYI, the best strategy for playing 5 Price Tags if you win all four choices but don't have a clue to the price is to pick the three middle prices first. There is usually a $4,000 difference between the lowest and highest prices. That should give you some idea of the price of the car.

I know.  It's similar to Gas Money in the sense that there is usually at least one outlier price. I'm just saying it can still be lost despite the maximum amount of picks being won.  (Unlike similar concept games like Bonus Game.)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #24 on: March 15, 2018, 06:46:40 PM »
True it's just like the majority of games.  They can be a cake walk set up or downright insanely hard.

First of all, please learn to quote correctly.

Secondly, Stack the Deck is hard by its very nature.  It doesn't need to be made harder, but the staff tends to do it anyway.  So not, that's not "just like the majority of games."

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #25 on: March 15, 2018, 07:44:21 PM »
First of all, please learn to quote correctly.

Secondly, Stack the Deck is hard by its very nature.  It doesn't need to be made harder, but the staff tends to do it anyway.  So not, that's not "just like the majority of games."

Sorry I thought I typed that to come after your quote not get sandwiched with it.

Yes Stack the Deck is hard by nature, but as I mentioned it's a car game.  If you want a win in it, it takes work.  If you don't know your grocery products, you are going to face challenges from the game.  Just like if you don't know them while playing Hole in One, you are going to putting from the far lines. 

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #26 on: March 15, 2018, 11:09:11 PM »
Yes Stack the Deck is hard by nature, but as I mentioned it's a car game.  If you want a win in it, it takes work.  If you don't know your grocery products, you are going to face challenges from the game.

Watch a playing of Stack the Deck that Roger set up.  Then watch a playing from after he was fired.  The difference in difficulty is like night and day.

Just like if you don't know them while playing Hole in One, you are going to putting from the far lines.

You can't win Stack the Deck by being good at golf.

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #27 on: March 15, 2018, 11:41:01 PM »
Watch a playing of Stack the Deck that Roger set up.  Then watch a playing from after he was fired.  The difference in difficulty is like night and day.

You can't win Stack the Deck by being good at golf.

Fair point but that can be said for multiple games.

I was referring to the grocery portion of the games.  If you don't do your homework, you are more likely going to have to guess more cards in Stack the Deck.  Likewise if you botch the product order in Hole in One you are going to be putting further away from the hole.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2018, 01:43:51 AM »
Now you're just repeating stuff.