Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 3/19/2018 (TPiR Season 46 Youth Week: Day I - Baby Shower)  (Read 5373 times)

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
Episode #8261K (TPiR Season 46 Youth Week - Day 1: Baby Shower)
Aired – 3/19/2018; Taped – 1/16/2018
Models: Manuela Arbelaez, Amber Lancaster
Microphone Handoff: Manuela
First Four Contestant Seating: Left to Right

First IUFB: Collection of Luxury Strollers (Mima: 3 strollers with travel suitcase); ARP: $3,272 (Amber)

KIMBERLY/RICHARD ALEXIS/TYRAY KATELYN/HECTOR SARI/BENJAMIN
1000 1250 1800 1251

The winner is...
KATELYN/HECTOR

Katelyn & Hector are playing Cover Up for a 2017 Ford Fusion S (2.5L engine, 6-speed AT, FWD, S appearance package, cargo net) (Manuela).

6 5
    8 4 1
  3 4 2 0
2 7 9 0 8
3 9 5 1 4
B A B Y S

8 4 1
    4 2 0
  7 9 0  
3 9   1 4
2 3 5 6 8

4 1
    4   0
  7 9 0  
3 9   1 4
2 3 8 2 5
2 3 9 4 0

LOSS

Second IUFB: Bouncer and Portable Playyard (2-piece bouncer and playyard with 2 sheets); ARP: $620 (Amber)

KIMBERLY/RICHARD ALEXIS/TYRAY LEAH/CHAD SARI/BENJAMIN
600 751 725 750

The winner is...
KIMBERLY/RICHARD

Kimberly and Richard are playing BARGAIN GAME for a washer/dryer (Samrt washer and gas dryer) (Manuela) and a desktop computer (28in desktop computer with 8GB RAM, 1TB HD, printer, stylus pen) (Amber).

They pick the washer and dryer.

ITEM PRICE TAG ARP DIFFERENCE
WASHER/DRYER
$2196
$4196
$2000
WIN
COMPUTER
$2549
$3149
$600

Third IUFB: Nursery Furniture (Babyletto: Mid-Century collection of crib, waterpoof mattress, 4-drawer dreser); ARP: $1,247 (Manuela)

ANA/JONATHAN ALEXIS/TYRAY LEAH/CHAD SARI/BENJAMIN
900 1500 1200 1

The winner is...
LEAH/CHAD

Leah and Chad is playing PICK A NUMBER for a trip to Aruba (RT Coach for 3 to Aruba for a 6n all-inclusive stay at the Holiday Inn Resort Aruba + daily babysitting included) (Amber).

The price of the trip is $11460, $13460, or $15460:

$ 1 Pick
-A-
Number
4 6 0
1 3 5

They pick 3

$ 1 1 4 6 0
1   5

LOSS

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Leah & Chad $1,247 60 75 1.35
OVER
Katelyn & Hector $3,272 80 STAY .80 *SHOWCASE*
Kimberly & Richard $7,965 50 55 1.05
OVER

Fourth IUFB: Baby Monitor (Vtech: 3 cameras and 64GB tablet); ARP: $919 (Manuela)

ANA/JONATHAN ALEXIS/TYRAY SUNSHINE/BENJAMIN SARI/BENJAMIN
950 850 650 600

The winner is...
ALEXIS/TYRAY

Alexis and Tyray are playing It's In The Bag for a chance to win up to $16,000.

Grocery items:

1. Baby ddrops Vitamin D Supplement
  2. Honey Nut Cheerios
  3. Gerber Baby Food
  4. Maxwell House Ground Coffee
  5. Sun Maid Raisins
  6. Johnsons Baby Lotion
  7. BABY FOOD
    SUPPLEMENT
    RAISINS
    COFFEE
    CEREAL

$1.19
    $11.99
    $2.69
    $7.99
    $4.99

BABY FOOD
    SUPPLEMENT
    RAISINS
    COFFEE
    CEREAL

$1,000
    $2,000
    $4,000
    $8,000
    BAILOUT

Fifth IUFB: High Chair Package (Pag Prego: Super high chairs with booster, cushions); ARP: $730 (Manuela and Amber on CHUGGS)

ANA/JONATHAN AMY/TIMOTHY SUNSHINE/BENJAMIN SARI/BENJAMIN
702 450 700 701

The winner is...
ANA/JONATHAN

Ana and Jonathan are playing Double Prices for a new kitchen (Black stainless steel microwave, 5-burner gas oven range, LED lighting French door fridge, dishwasher with adjustable racking, baby food maker, warmer and sterilizer) (Manuela).

$7,846
$
$5,648
$7,846
$7,846
WIN

Sari and Benjamin got 1-upped last time, ouch. They need to escape now or their baby will be joining them on a trip to Van Sickles, New Jersey.

Sixth IUFB: Collection of Newborn Essentials (Little Unicorn: Diaper backpack, weekender bag, vegan leather tote, 6 cotton blankets, 2 sleep bags, 2 quilts; everyone in the audience will get $100 gift card from Little Unicorn and win one online); ARP: $506 (Amber)

CHARISSE-LAUREN/KENNETH AMY/TIMOTHY SUNSHINE/BENJAMIN SARI/BENJAMIN
400 450 550 551

The winner is...
AMY/TIMOTHY

Amy and Timothy are playing Rat Race for a year's worth of diapers and baby food (Earth's Best: baby food and diapers), maid service (26x a year), and a 2017 Honda Fit LX (1.5L engine, 6-speed MT, FWD) (Amber).

They can earn rats by guessing the prices of these items:

Prell Shampoo

Guess must be within $1.

Guess: $3.50.

$3.49

Correct! Rat picked: YELLOW (1¢)

Baby Wire Maze Toy

Guess must be within $10.

Guess: $35.

$83

Wrong! ($48)

Air Purifier

Guess must be within $100.

Guess: $150.

$140

Correct! Rat picked: BLUE ($10)

Manuela releases the rats...

1 CAR
  3 BABY FOOD
  2 MAID SERVICE

WIN (Total Winnings: $17,905 (The finish between the pink and yellow rats were so close, they offered Amy & Timothy the choice of picking the diapers or the maid service during the SCSD. They chose the diapers.)

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL RESULT
Ana & Jonathan $8,576 75 STAY .75
Alexis & Tyray $8,919 15 80 .95 *SHOWCASE*
Amy & Timothy $18,411 40 5 .45

Ana and Jonathan are having a boy as revealed by the Price shirt.

THE FABULOUS SHOWCASES

Alexis and Tyray has the honors...

SC1 -

WHAT TO EXPECT
  • Bedroom (LampsPlus: Luxurious bedroom with upholstered queen bed; Maxim matress; ottoman and chair, bassinet) (Manuela)
  • $5,000 in cash (Manuela)
  • 2017 Toyota Corolla iM Hatchback (1.8L engine, CVT, FWD, carpeted floor mats) (Amber)
Bid:

SC2 - Katelyn & Hector

CHECKLIST
  • Trip to Greece (RT Coach to Mykonos, GR for a 6n stay in a junior suite at the Kensho Boutique Hotel + daily breakfast, 5-course dinner, spa treatment) (Amber)
  • Pair of iPhones (Apple: iPhone 10s with 5.8in super retina HD display) (Amber)
  • Car seats (Graco: Pair of car seats) (Manuela)
  • 2017 Chevrolet Trax LT (1.4L engine, 5-speed AT, FWD) (Manuela)
Bid: $30,500
Alexis & Tyray
$26,500
CAR
$30,384
$3,084
CAR
*WIN*
$39,303
Katelyn & Hector
$30,500
GREECE/SUV
$41,718
$11,218
GREECE/SUV

Results: 3 out of 6 (with 1 bailout)
Winnings: $78,774
Biggest Winner: Alexis & Tyray

This Recap is solely intended for the purpose of Golden-Road.net.
Reproduction of this without authorized consent is prohibited.

Recap produced by Roadgeek Adam
Templates by Visualbasicwizard and WhammyPower788
CSS work provided by cu2010.

« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:51:20 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
That Rat Race was too close for anybody to call. I couldn't call it to save my neck. I think they made the right choice to let the team choose the prize. You all may disagree on what my thinking if you want. Anyway I enjoyed today's Price. Can't wait till tomorrow's episode.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
I think this is the first time ever that a Rat Race has ended in a tie; good call on letting the couple who played it decide which of the other prizes they'd want to take, in addition to the car that they were getting anyway.

Offline wrikent3500

• Taking a Bonus Spin
If this had happened under Bob and Roger,because it was a tie between the two rats would they have just won everything as opposed to choosing the second prize

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
If this had happened under Bob and Roger,because it was a tie between the two rats would they have just won everything as opposed to choosing the second prize
...No? Only one of the rats the contestant chose came in 2nd/3rd, so if that is true, if there was a three way tie, and I only chose one of the rats, I win everything? Also, pretty sure Drew made Rat Race, so this wouldn't have even been feasible.

Isn't the maid service just cash? Shouldn't they have explained that better? Decent episode, and interesting Rat Race.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
The first couple in the second SCSD didn't go over.

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
Somebody was smart enough to realize that they might have an issue at one point determining which rat finished first, so they didn't want to do it by sight and they installed sensors. Good!

Then, the time they have to rely on the sensor, the explanation is that they watched the replay and couldn't tell which rat finished ahead. Huh? Isn't that the whole point of the sensor?

Unless the end of the race was reshot, it appeared immediately that the board lit up recognizing that their rat had come in third. I don't see how there could be any debate over this and I thought that giving them the choice of prize was both generous and unnecessary. Which brings me to my last point...

Isn't the maid service just cash? Shouldn't they have explained that better?

...that they ended up choosing wrong! Yes, based on the way the maid service has been structured in the past and the fact that it wasn't sponsored, it was definitely a cash prize in disguise.

I don't think you could explain that on television, but giving them a heads up about it could have been done before they made their decision.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
I don't think you could explain that on television, but giving them a heads up about it could have been done before they made their decision.

If you explain that on television, you immediately just opened the door to questions about the legitimateness of the show and a whole Pandora's Box opens.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
Then, the time they have to rely on the sensor, the explanation is that they watched the replay and couldn't tell which rat finished ahead. Huh? Isn't that the whole point of the sensor?

...that they ended up choosing wrong! Yes, based on the way the maid service has been structured in the past and the fact that it wasn't sponsored, it was definitely a cash prize in disguise.

Anyone who has watched this show over 40+ years will tell you, technology isn't always reliable. Obviously, they were watching close enough backstage to believe it was a draw, from the perspective of their own eyes. Hence they allowed the contestants to break the draw. Sensible.

Secondly,  you didn't win this gane, they did. If they felt, as EXPECTANT PARENTS, the diapers were the more beneficial prize (gee, gawd only knows why...), then they chose the right prize. Stop yelling at your tv set.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Secondly,  you didn't win this gane, they did. If they felt, as EXPECTANT PARENTS, the diapers were the more beneficial prize (gee, gawd only knows why...), then they chose the right prize. Stop yelling at your tv set.

I'm not yelling, but from the Discord Chat:

they said the diapers were $1700 and the maid service was $2600

I guarantee you they could buy the $1700 worth of baby stuff with $2600 cash, even before taxes. The argument is that if the cash had been described better, the more favorable prize would have most likely been the cash. If it was actually sponsored maid service versus. actual baby food, I would take the baby food/diapers in a heartbeat.   However, there is no way they would explain it that way.

I am not saying the diapers are the wrong decision. If I am willing to say that the guy who bailed with $1500 instead of a 50-50 for the car on Roll is a better decision, then I am willing to let something smaller slide.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: TPiR Recap - 3/19/2018 (TPiR Season 46 Youth Week: Day I - Baby Shower)
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2018, 12:40:04 AM »

No, they wouldn't.  As proof, I cite Race Game on February 6, 2001:  The jukebox said the contestant finished with two prices right even though she only had one, so Bob let her pick any of the other three prizes to win.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.