Author Topic: Everything wrong with GSN today (Rant)  (Read 3476 times)

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
Everything wrong with GSN today (Rant)
« on: April 08, 2018, 01:19:22 PM »
GSN has really become unwatchable for me. I pretty much never watch the channel anymore. It's pretty obvious the channel has become a slave to the Nielsens Show doesn't work after one or two weeks? Time to bring in 6 more episodes of Harvey! Ratings dropped 0.01%? Time for another hour of Harvey! Pretty soon the schedule will be just a daylong marathon of Harvey Feud. I'm not saying replace everything with pre-1990 shows, but just something else, anything else, would be nice.

And the speed-ups and credit crunchers. Don't even get me started on those.

And finally, in the 20+ years GSN has shown The $25,000 Pyramid, why are they so scared of playing the 1984 episodes, of all years? And it isn't just 1984; there's the end of 1983 and the beginning of 1985, plus six months of 1987 between April and October.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2018, 01:32:33 PM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline bigblue999

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • No Flags
Re: Everything wrong with GSN today (Rant)
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2018, 01:25:19 PM »
I have FIOS and back in February they took GSN away unless I upgraded to their Ultimate Package. As long as I Buzzar, I won’t be missing GSN at all.
CSS XIII Silver Medalist

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2018, 01:51:30 PM »
I first started watching GSN in the fall of 2001. It was still known as Game Show Network back then. To say that it's not the same would be an understatement. I mean, why not just give in and call it the "Harvey Feud Network?"

On the other hand, I shouldn't give them any ideas...

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2018, 01:54:45 PM »
It's pretty obvious the channel has become a slave to the Nielsens

You mean like every other channel on TV?

Harvey Feud sells to the desired audience. Everything else does not. Simple as that. Remember that GSN is for profits first and foremost.

Does it suck? Yes. Would it be nice if they showed something else? Absolutely. Will they? Probably not. Vote with your remote- change the channel. If everyone stopped watching Harvey Feud all the time, they would air something else.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline GameShowsRule95

• Outside in Line
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2018, 02:55:30 PM »
I can't add anything people who hate modern GSN (including me) haven't said, but here's my feeling on some of those issues.

On the overplay of Harvey's Feud, this is also a problem with many other networks. Other examples of a network in love too much with one show include Nickelodeon's longtime obsession with SpongeBob, Cartoon Network's current obsession with Toddler Titans Go!, E!'s decade long obsession with the "famous" Kardashians (thanks a lot Seacrest!), and USA's obsession with showing SVU and NCIS reruns. This isn't in my opinion the best for cable television because it discourages variety and giving other shows a chance.

And on the speed-ups and credit crunches, yeah this is why I don't watch a lot of TV now. I only watch sitcoms like Seinfeld on DVD, because I know I'm getting the full unedited versions of the episodes with no cuts, no part sped-up for more ads, and in it's original picture format instead of being stretched out unnecessarily to fit a widescreen TV. And crunches are especially annoying because they don't allow us to see who was responsible for who helped to make these shows possible just so they can air a promo for one of their shows they can air during any commercial break.

All I can say is thank goodness for BUZZR and a little site known as YouTube, because otherwise we wouldn't be able to see all these great game shows that can't be found anywhere else. Now if only Sony would make their own version of BUZZR to air old episodes of Wheel, Jeopardy!, Pyramid, The Joker's Wild and more, we could see some of those shows they refuse to air and let us post on YouTube.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2018, 04:00:54 PM »
I have FIOS and back in February they took GSN away unless I upgraded to their Ultimate Package. As long as I Buzzar, I won’t be missing GSN at all.
I have FIOS also and still have GSN even with their standard package.

Like GameShowRules95 said, GSN is just like almost every other cable network nowadays- it relies on one or two popular shows that will bring in viewers and in turn ad revenue and sprinkles in others. GSN has Harvey Family Feud, Nickelodeon has SpongeBob Squarepants and Loud House, TruTV has Impractical Jokers, Cartoon Network has Teen Titans Go, etc. It's just what cable has become in the age of streaming and shows rarely getting over even 2 million viewers. You don't have to watch if you don't like it.

Offline TPIR_rules

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2018, 11:30:37 PM »
HLN shows Forensic Files a lot, especially on the weekends.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2018, 02:23:38 PM »
ION has all three Law & Order shows (the original, Criminal Intent and SVU), so about half of the time you'll see one of them.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2018, 04:14:30 AM »
I forget Ion is still around, despite having a local station.

Offline tpirsuperfan99

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2018, 08:47:19 PM »
I can’t stand GSN anymore as well. I am someone who enjoys Harvey Feud, but watching it for hours a day I still overkill, this is why I watch BUZZR instead, it has things like Match Game, Classic Family Feud, Supermarket Sweep, Sale of the Century, and many more great shows. GSN airs few, if no classic game shows anymore. I agree, GSN sucks these days and I wish it could go back to the days when it showed many good game shows, but thank god for BUZZR.