Author Topic: Season 50??  (Read 5987 times)

Offline tpir2002

• TPiR Alumnus
Season 50??
« on: April 16, 2018, 08:51:46 PM »
Hey everyone!! Hope all's well with y'all. 

Since we're about 3 years away from the start of the 50th season of TPIR, It's more likely we'll actually have a 50th season.  If it does happen, what would everyone like see happen for that season?? Big Money Week, Dream Car Week etc.

I'm actually drawing a blank, lol. I think the whole season should have a much higher budget since its a huge milestone. Big Money Week should be renamed Million Dollar Week just for that season. That's all can think of now.

Can't wait to see everyone's ideas!!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Season 50??
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2018, 11:29:27 PM »
I think the whole season should have a much higher budget since its a huge milestone. Big Money Week should be renamed Million Dollar Week just for that season. That's all can think of now.

It's not what you give away; it's how you do it.

Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2018, 11:34:32 PM »
Big milestones like a 50th anniversary call for a primetime special, whether involving game play or a 2 hour retrospective, I would be extremely surprised if CBS didn't do something big at night. As for daytime, I can see them bring back the decades shows, sprinkled throughout the season (a week of shows per decade). I'd expect gimmicks like Race Game for 4 cars or Cliff Hangers for $250,000 again, but after 50 years there's not a lot that the show hasn't done or tried that could be considered fresh or original.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2018, 11:34:47 PM »
Perhaps a combination of Big Money and Dream Car Week, or maybe even the return of the MDS'. There has to be some sort of special. As Off_trak said, a milestone like this needs to be celebrated.

I have a few pricing game ideas.

Any Number: Remove the decimal point in the piggy bank and have the small prize be 4-digits.
Plinko: Use a different board layout, like one similar to the one used on Doug Davidson's version.
Pay The Rent: Play it for $1,000,000. The steps are $1,000/$5,000/$10,000/$1,000,000 (no way would anyone risk $100,000).
Golden Road: Have the second prize be a five-digit prize and the grand prize six digits.

I was initially thinking about Credit Card for five cars, but that might be too much.

Maybe have a couple of 6-digit showcases.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2018, 07:34:51 AM »
...but after 50 years there's not a lot that the show hasn't done or tried that could be considered fresh or original.

The constant gimmick shows they insist on rolling out these days doesn't help at all. It used to be that there needed to be a REASON to celebrate something and then it felt big.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2018, 10:15:13 AM »
Similar to how the NFL painted the 50-yard line gold for its milestone Super Bowl a few years back, the entire season's logo should be an all-gold one, with the studio signs, the dollar sign on the Turntable and the logos on the Big Doors also being changed to that. As for gameplay, have Punch-a-Bunch, Grand Game and 1/2 Off be played for $50,000, and every once in a while, have some Showcases worth more than $100,000 in price at least during Premiere Week (think back to Season 35, which would turn out to be Bob's last). Daresay a 100th birthday special for the man in 2023? Sure, that would take us to Season 52, but it would be nice to have, even if he doesn't live to see it.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2018, 12:53:31 PM »
The constant gimmick shows they insist on rolling out these days doesn't help at all. It used to be that there needed to be a REASON to celebrate something and then it felt big.

That's not the world we live in vis a vis entertainment, and it's not of Price's doing. The "gimmicks" have helped the show find a necessary new audience and remain relevant and competitive in a world with ever-more viewing choices.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2018, 01:22:55 PM »
Similar to how the NFL painted the 50-yard line gold for its milestone Super Bowl a few years back, the entire season's logo should be an all-gold one, with the studio signs, the dollar sign on the Turntable and the logos on the Big Doors also being changed to that. As for gameplay, have Punch-a-Bunch, Grand Game and 1/2 Off be played for $50,000, and every once in a while, have some Showcases worth more than $100,000 in price at least during Premiere Week (think back to Season 35, which would turn out to be Bob's last). Daresay a 100th birthday special for the man in 2023? Sure, that would take us to Season 52, but it would be nice to have, even if he doesn't live to see it.

I don’t recall there being any showcase worth more than $100,000 on the daytime version of The Price is Right

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2018, 02:15:25 PM »
That's not the world we live in vis a vis entertainment, and it's not of Price's doing. The "gimmicks" have helped the show find a necessary new audience and remain relevant and competitive in a world with ever-more viewing choices.

THIS. JUST THIS.

Nobody can sit there and tell me with a straight face that if Mike & Co. were still running the show the same way Bob/Roger did back in their day that it would still be viable. TV audiences have changed, along with the way people view those shows. The "gimmicks" are absolutely necessary. If anything, it's great to see that the show isn't afraid to try new things and branch out a little bit. New does not equal bad.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2018, 03:34:26 PM »
I would hope they do a primetime special for the 50th anniversary, although the 40th anniversary one was in daytime and the only really notable thing they did in the pricing games iirc was playing Grand Game for $40,000.

It would be nice too if they did things throughout the season for the 50th year and not just in the season premiere/first week or just the special.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2018, 07:33:48 PM »

Nobody can sit there and tell me with a straight face that if Mike & Co. were still running the show the same way Bob/Roger did back in their day that it would still be viable. TV audiences have changed, along with the way people view those shows. The "gimmicks" are absolutely necessary. If anything, it's great to see that the show isn't afraid to try new things and branch out a little bit. New does not equal bad.

If I might just add, having shown my kid, a burgeoning fan, some clips of the "old" version, he was most decidedly unimpressed. (He was more impressed with clips from the 1994 syndicated version compared to a comparable daytime version for the set design.)  Looking to a year 50 (per the subject of the thread) and beyond, that's the audience that's going to want to tune in and watch--and he's said multiple times he likes the shows with something special--themed contestants, big money, et al.

That's but one anecdotal example, but it fits with the evidence the ratings information released publicly has shown.

It's pretty rarified company to be running for four decades, but there are some examples of shows that have rejuvenated for new audiences while retaining the broad contours of what came before. The Tonight Show is still the same basic formula it has been for decades, but with a sensibility now that differs from Leno...who differed from Carson....who differed from Jack Parr....etc. Sesame Street is still a human-and-muppet show with educational skits, but today's version speaks to today's kids differently than when I grew up watching it.

So here's to making it to season 50, and we'll see what the world looks like then and what makes sense for CBS at the time. If I were a gambler, and I'm not, I wouldn't be placing money on a retrospective in prime time. I don't think that's what's going to be "selling," even if they used it in the time between sweeps month as filler material for the approximately 832nd cycle of Survivor.  :D

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2018, 11:19:39 PM »
A new host.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2018, 12:22:10 AM »
A new host.
[cue the perfect bid bell] ^ somebody give that man a $500 bonus, because is exactly right!

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2018, 12:45:29 AM »
A new host.

Actually, I would not be surprised if Drew decided to call it a day at the end of the 50th season. As much as he seems to enjoy hosting, I don't see him doing a 35 year stint.

And this occured to me after my first post; but they claimed when they rebuilt the sets for season 35, they were built to travel. I mean, if you're gonna take the show on the road, the number 50 only comes once...
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline ogres1

• Outside in Line
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2018, 06:20:08 AM »
i never post, i am more of a lurker....as i do enjoy the conversation, and check in everyday

how about a whole show  or maybe even a week, of old retired games....