Author Topic: Hit Me Question  (Read 2017 times)

Offline barkerfan05

• In the Audience
Hit Me Question
« on: April 26, 2018, 06:50:59 AM »
Is there any instance that the player's hand tied the house's hand?

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Hit Me Question
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2018, 07:12:36 AM »
Yes it has happened.   If I remember correctly, house originally had to hit on a tie, but then a few years into the run I remember Bob saying ties go to the contestant.  Can someone out there confirm?

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2018, 07:42:43 AM »
I remember seeing a couple of times where there was a tie and Bob saying that ties go to the contestant.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 08:29:03 AM »
It certainly wouldn't be fair if the player got the 10/Face card and Ace and didn't win. That said, Bob would clearly explain about having a BETTER hand than the house during the explanation, and a tie isn't a better hand, which sort of added to the confusion in that people though that a tie wouldn't win. But it seemed like there was a tie almost as often as the player busting.

On a side note about "card" games, if in Poker Game, if you had prices like $799, $998, $679, and $829, the player could choose $799 and $829, while the opponent could select the other two, resulting in 99987 for both hands. I would assume here that the player would lose since the "sixth" card is a 2 over the house's 6, but I don't believe that's ever happened before.

Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:51:36 AM »
It certainly wouldn't be fair if the player got the 10/Face card and Ace and didn't win.
If memory serves, in cases where the player got the 10 and the Ace in their first two picks, Bob immediately declared them a winner, without even bothering to see the house's cards first.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:04:54 AM »
On a side note about "card" games, if in Poker Game, if you had prices like $799, $998, $679, and $829, the player could choose $799 and $829, while the opponent could select the other two, resulting in 99987 for both hands. I would assume here that the player would lose since the "sixth" card is a 2 over the house's 6, but I don't believe that's ever happened before.

I would imagine that the game was always set up to make such a situation impossible.

Offline barkerfan05

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 09:05:26 AM »
What are the cards used in the game?

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 05:55:32 PM »
I just recently watched one of the first playings of Hit Me where Bob was explaining the rules in detail to the contestant, and he said even then that if the player tied with the house, the player would win the game.
What are the cards used in the game?
It's a standard deck of cards for the house.  The player's cards are drawn from grocery products on the game board.  The value of the card depends on the price shown on the product.  If the price is the exact price of the product, the card is an ace.  Otherwise, the price of the product is some multiple of the actual price and whatever that multiple is, that's the value of the card.  (If the product was $1.05 and the price shown was $5.25, the card would be a 5.) 

Offline barkerfan05

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 10:47:49 PM »
Thanks, Casey! You sure do watch a lot of Hit Me on the show!

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 28, 2018, 12:24:12 AM »
In a nutshell:

1) If the player had 21 Bob would declare the player a winner automatically (especially later in the years) since...
2) A push (or "tie") went in favor of the contestant
UNLESS...
3) The player and house tie with a value under 17.  The house MUST hit on 16 and lower, so if both player and house had 16, the house must hit and could get a 2, 3, 4, or 5 card and win (I do seem to remember something similar to this happening)
4) The house hitting/standing on a soft 17 (e.g. Ace and 6) rule was very fluid, depending on Bob's mood and the contestant's hand.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 04:46:56 AM »
Also, I've got a question of my own. I know that, of the six cards available to the contestant via the grocery items, one was always an ace, and one was always a ten or face card. I'd read that the other four cards were always two sets of card that would add to ten each (for example, if there was a three on the board, that would mean there was also a seven waiting to be found as well). That sound about right?