Author Topic: TPIR Big Doors in video game  (Read 3057 times)

Offline dagdoggnh

• Walking the Golden Road
TPIR Big Doors in video game
« on: April 18, 2018, 11:56:44 PM »
I have recently seen the trailer and some livestreams of a new video game for PC(available for free on www.steampowered.com) called "Radical Heights".  At times in the game players come across what looks like the Big Doors.  Do the TPIR producers know about it?

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: TPIR Big Doors in video game
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2018, 12:16:22 AM »
Could you possibly provide a screenshot or a link to a video so we can see what you're talking about?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline dagdoggnh

« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 12:18:28 AM »

Offline dagdoggnh

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2018, 12:26:06 AM »
And a screenshot of the Big Door(not taken by me): https://goo.gl/images/x56jc6

Online SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2018, 02:08:00 PM »
Wow...I don't know if their likeness is protected by a copyright or anything like that, but that is definitely the Big Doors.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2018, 03:26:02 PM »
The image here- http://it.videogamer.com/2018/04/11/radical-heights-battle-royale/#postgallery-1 also shows the character on the left wearing what definitely looks like the contestant name tag.

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2018, 03:38:13 PM »
I'm not a lawyer, but while those doors are clearly a reference to TPIR, the design is different enough that it easily falls into the realm of parody/allusion. For that reason, I doubt that TPIR or Fremantle would have been made aware of this while it was in development.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2018, 03:54:52 PM »
TPIR is not the only gameshow referenced here, as it also has something resembling the Bonus Wheel on Wheel of Fortune.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2018, 04:15:50 PM »
An intriguing imitation.
Though, it may have been only a coincidence that they resemble TPIR's old doors.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2018, 05:17:11 PM »
Though, it may have been only a coincidence that they resemble TPIR's old doors.

There is no possible way that is a coincidence, as another photo has a character wearing a name tag that looks a lot like the tags seen on TPiR
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2018, 07:42:59 AM »
Wow...I don't know if their likeness is protected by a copyright or anything like that, but that is definitely the Big Doors.

The idea of using a door to present prizes, etc. is, in and of itself, not protected by copyright, but the originality of Price’s Big Doors probably is, I would imagine.

That being said...

I'm not a lawyer, but while those doors are clearly a reference to TPIR, the design is different enough that it easily falls into the realm of parody/allusion. For that reason, I doubt that TPIR or Fremantle would have been made aware of this while it was in development.

Agreed. And nothing about the work in question takes away from the value of the original.

Based on the little knowledge I have of copyright law — one of the few things I remember from the Mass Media Law class I took a year ago :P — I have a tough time seeing any clear signs of infringement here.  Make no mistake, the developers of this game were well aware of the design they were copying, but its implementation is totally different than the original and such that I don’t believe Fremantle would be successful in pursuing a lawsuit against its use.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker