Author Topic: Double Dare is Coming Back!  (Read 11978 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
Double Dare is Coming Back!
« on: April 25, 2018, 02:34:07 PM »
http://deadline.com/2018/04/double-dare-game-show-revived-nickelodeon-1202376321/ - First, DuckTales gets revived. And I wished for Double Dare to come back. Well, those wishes are coming true! Nickelodeon is reviving DD for 40 eps this summer. Huzzah!

Offline geniusinmath

• Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
Re: Double Dare is Coming Back!
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 03:41:11 PM »
Nice. I loved Double Dare for a long time.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 04:24:37 PM »
Very exciting and also surprising news. Since it didn't get rebooted following the 30th anniversary special in 2016 I didn't think it was ever going to happen. Nickelodeon is definitely embracing the 90s Nick nostalgia. Hopefully this version is better than Double Dare 2000 and they pick a good host (I can't see Marc Summers returning as host, but I suppose it could happen).

Offline geniusinmath

« Reply #3 on: April 25, 2018, 04:47:46 PM »
It could be John Cena.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:17:28 AM »
Wow, I never thought this would happen, but good to see it again!

First off, if it's the "family" format, it would be neat to have an episode or two where one of the parents which appeared on the original version are part of the team. Also, I'd hope they end the season with a one hour finale like they did in 1993, including trophy and a new car as prizes.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 01:01:04 PM »
As long as the grand prize isn't a trip to Universal Studios, I'm happy.  :P

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2018, 12:27:22 AM »
Grand prize will still be a Dodge Caravan.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2018, 10:38:36 AM »
Looks like this version can't decide yet on whether to be kids-only or family:

http://www.mysticartpictures.com/mystic/castingdetail.php?nc_id=186

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2018, 12:13:03 PM »
Interesting. Maybe they're planning on mixing up the episodes so some are two kids vs two kids, some one parent/kid vs another parent/kid, and others families of four.

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 10:07:39 AM »
Today, Nickelodeon announced that Double Dare will return on June 25th at 8:00 PM. YouTube star and cast member of Freakish Liza Koshy will be the new host, and Marc Summers returns to provide "color commentary" to physical challenges, as noted by The Hollywood Reporter.

I'm excited for this, and I'll be interested to see how Marc is used in the show. It sounds like Double Dare meets Wild & Crazy Kids with the new role.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 12:03:56 PM »
I wasn't expecting Marc to host, and his having an on-air role on the new show is a pleasant surprise. The 8pm timeslot definitely shows they're looking for a kid and millennial audience.

Offline geniusinmath

« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 03:49:38 PM »
I can't wait for that. It will be on the day after my 30th birthday.

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 11:55:58 PM »
Is it 8pm est, or cst?

Offline dmaingame

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2018, 12:55:08 AM »
I like the 8pm primetime slot for the new Double Dare.  I vividly recall the Family Double Dare Primetime Specials that aired on Saturday nights during the sweeps months for a few years during DD's original run.  The bigger budget on those specials in addition to having Marc Summers wear a tuxedo, and the subtle changes to the set such as the purple wall behind the host's podium going glass block were changes parallel to TPIR's own nighttime specials in '86.  I hope that this new Double Dare has a mix of the classic format of two kids per team and families but keeps to the original game with obvious changes such as higher dollar values for questions/physical challenges etc ($10/20/40 and $20/40/80 is pocket change these days and having two players split $100-$150 wouldn't even cover the costs to travel to the taping.)  As for the obstacle course, I think blending in obstacles from the original series (save Nightmare and Fireman Flag Pull aka the Bullseye '72 of DD obstacles) and adding new ones would be the best route to go.  Looking forward to tuning in on June 25th. 

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2018, 08:02:40 AM »
I like the 8pm primetime slot for the new Double Dare.  I vividly recall the Family Double Dare Primetime Specials that aired on Saturday nights during the sweeps months for a few years during DD's original run.  The bigger budget on those specials in addition to having Marc Summers wear a tuxedo, and the subtle changes to the set such as the purple wall behind the host's podium going glass block were changes parallel to TPIR's own nighttime specials in '86.  I hope that this new Double Dare has a mix of the classic format of two kids per team and families but keeps to the original game with obvious changes such as higher dollar values for questions/physical challenges etc ($10/20/40 and $20/40/80 is pocket change these days and having two players split $100-$150 wouldn't even cover the costs to travel to the taping.)  As for the obstacle course, I think blending in obstacles from the original series (save Nightmare and Fireman Flag Pull aka the Bullseye '72 of DD obstacles) and adding new ones would be the best route to go.  Looking forward to tuning in on June 25th.

Wheel will be in reruns by that point, but that means I can see the last few weeks of Jeopardy!'s current season, then hop over to catch a classic episode of Supermarket Sweep over on BUZZR. If its two per team, use the classic FDD dollar values, and if four, $50/$100/$200 in round one and $100/$200/$400 in round two. Have the grand prize be a trip to Disney (especially with today's higher ticket prices), a family cruise, or even places like a city with family-oriented attractions if the two player format is used. Have a nice prize like a TV, bike, or video game console with games as you get to #6 and #7. Instead of a Toys "R" Us gift card since they're out of business, have an Amazon gift card instead, $200 X the obstacle number. If teams of four, have either a trip to South America, Europe, Asia, an African Safari,  Samoa, Bali, Fiji, or a car like a Ford Escape or Subaru Forester (the Caravan is still around, but isn't as popular like it was), and also have the cash obstacle for #7, starting at $2000 and increasing by $500 each day it isn't won, or even a mini-vacation like a weekend in a popular resort or city if a car is the grand prize. I'm definitely looking forward to seeing if this will be a success or a semi-bust like DD 2000. That version itself did seem like a mix of classic and modern ones, but it had one major flaw that I don't want to see again. I didn't like the Triple Dare Challenge as it ate up too much gameplay time for the second round, and it wasn't uncommon for there to be a question or two, then the physical challenge, and then the round to be over.

IMO the Bullseye '72 (or Shrine of the Silver Monkey) of DD obstacles was Pick It, though whenever Shark was used in the 1992-93 season, the course was only one during the Tournament episode. I remember knowing that after it went to reruns, seeing that obstacle was the kiss of death, and a fair warning usually meant the Gak Geyser immediately preceded it. What irritated me most about it was that you had to climb up a diving board and then walk just to get to the shark's mouth to find the flag. If they bring it back, just looking inside the shark's mouth would be fine rather than waste a good 5-6 seconds just to get to the mouth.

A good pattern for the obstacle course is to start with a medium difficulty one like the Hamster Wheel, followed by two easy ones like the drawbridge or monkey bars, then another medium difficulty one like popping one of three balloons to find a flag, then a tough one like the Sundae Slide, then an easy one like the Wringer, then a medium one, and finally a tough one like Pick It or the Blue Plate Special. That way it provides a nice balance to the lineup by not only allowing different players to have the tougher obstacles, but actually provide a shot at winning. A lineup of Lake Double Dare, Blue Plate Special, Doggie Door, Balloon Pop, Pick-It, Sundae Slide, Fireman Flag Pull, and Lube Job won't get the job done even if the team is fast.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/