Author Topic: Double Dare is Coming Back!  (Read 12048 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Re: Double Dare is Coming Back!
« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2018, 04:40:21 PM »
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2018, 01:45:44 AM »
Sundae Slide was only challenging if you didn't know the trick to it. Putting your feet along the sides of the ramp (out of the slop) was the key to slam dunking that obstacle.  As far as Pick it, that obstacle was a course killer, especially if it was lower than Obstacle 6.  So was "Time's Running Out"  where you had to find an orange flag among a bin of orange golf balls while more golf balls poured down on top of you.  Sewer Chute also could be a course killer, especially if the flag didn't fall out of the bucket when the cord was pulled.  That obstacle glitched so much that Marc frequently waved the contestant on when the flag didn't drop out of the bucket.

Now for my Murderer's Row of Obstacle Courses.
1.Nightmare  2.Pick It.   3.Inside Out   4.Time's Running Out.  5.Shark  6.Garbage Truck  7.Blue Plate Special  8.Inside Out (complete with the trick flags that were different colors hidden in the balloons in addition to the orange flag)

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 04:31:38 PM »

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 05:29:20 PM »
As a teenager who watched the original show on Nick GaS, they better bring back the music in some medium or else it’s not worth watching.

Offline IncoG5nito

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #19 on: June 09, 2018, 03:30:52 PM »
Now for my Murderer's Row of Obstacle Courses.
1.Nightmare  2.Pick It.   3.Inside Out   4.Time's Running Out.  5.Shark  6.Garbage Truck  7.Blue Plate Special  8.Inside Out (complete with the trick flags that were different colors hidden in the balloons in addition to the orange flag)
Replace one of your two "Inside Out"s with Fireman's Flag-Pull (with the trick-or-treat bags) and you REALLY have an impossible course!  And if DD2K obstacles are an option, replace Blue Plate Special with Double Click :-D
IncoG5nito
Formerly of the "Game Show Fiesta"

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2018, 08:46:10 PM »
As a teenager who watched the original show on Nick GaS, they better bring back the music in some medium or else it’s not worth watching.

If you were in the target audience for the original, you're not in the target audience now. Whether or not the original music is there in any capacity means nothing to today's audience. If it works for them to incorporate it, great. If not, the kids aren't going to be skipping the show because of it.

Offline BD

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2018, 11:09:53 PM »
If you were in the target audience for the original, you're not in the target audience now. Whether or not the original music is there in any capacity means nothing to today's audience. If it works for them to incorporate it, great. If not, the kids aren't going to be skipping the show because of it.

I agree with you that saying the show will fail without the original music is ridiculous but I would also say that they aren’t just trying to attract kids with this. They are going for adults that grew up in the ‘80s and ‘90s too. Nick at Nite timeslot, Marc Summers, classic obstacles, etc.

I expected the show to have a bigger budget to be honest. This seems to be more along the lines of 1986-1988 Double Dare based on the pictures. It may be a good thing though since Double Dare 2000 went far too large and complicated when it came to props and features that took the spotlight off of the main game.

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: June 11, 2018, 08:16:12 AM »
I have a kiddo in the target audience. If he wants to watch, as a parent, I'll watch with him, regardless of whether they use a variation of the original theme or Beethoven's Fifth. They're going to be looking for kids and co-watching--and selling that. A bunch of extraneous viewers may look good to some on paper, but if the advertisers aren't buying them, they're irrelevant either way.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: June 11, 2018, 01:04:13 PM »
It may be a good thing though since Double Dare 2000 went far too large and complicated when it came to props and features that took the spotlight off of the main game.

In recent years, Marc Summers has said this was one of the many reasons why Double Dare 2000 flopped so hard. He had nothing nice to say about the unnecessary changes to the show, especially the Triple Dare challenge. Given all this, it's not surprising that Nickelodeon demoted him to a screen-only credit of executive consultant for 2000. Remember, he was EP of Family Double Dare in 1992.

Online imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: June 11, 2018, 04:36:11 PM »
However, things can change for more reasons than perhaps expressing some disagreement with choices made. Other things he had going on, the desire of the producers and/or network to go in that direction. It happens in life.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: June 12, 2018, 04:23:42 PM »
Well we know Marc is definitely more involved this time since he will be on camera. It's pretty clear they're looking for a nostalgia/millennial audience in addition to their target demo this time, between Marc being on again, the classic-esque look, and the primetime timeslot.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #26 on: June 17, 2018, 04:02:02 PM »
well, the theme song will be an updated version of the classic ( https://www.instagram.com/p/BkIwTlyFZEv/?taken-by=officialdoubledare here's a small bit from the official Instagram page)

Offline rodroddyfan

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: June 17, 2018, 07:15:17 PM »
The worst obstacle i remember was buried treasure. it would literally take up the entire 60 secs to find the flag.  i think times, the other contestant or even marc would jump and help try to find it.

Online goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #28 on: June 22, 2018, 07:34:15 PM »
Nickelodeon uploaded this sneak peek of the show onto YouTube. We see how Marc will be involved with the show, and new physical challenges. It seems they're moving away from the super messes of the Super Sloppy/Nickelodeon Family, and Double Dare 2000 runs, and embracing the teamwork aspect of the show-in the contestants and in Liza and Marc having good banter with each other. Marc is seen describing the physical challenges and tossups, to balance out Liza's hosting of the game.

Also, it appears that the dollar amounts are updated to account for inflation: $50 for the tossup and $50/100/200 for questions in Round 1, with $200 physical challenges. Double the dollar values for Round 2 and we have $100 tossups, $100/200/400 for questions and $400 physical challenges. These are the highest dollar values for the main game in the show's history.

I like how they kept the original show's 1986 aesthetics and soundtrack, and updated both for 2018. This looks to be a great revival of the show, and I can't wait to see it.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2018, 07:43:20 PM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: June 22, 2018, 11:58:15 PM »
Overall the preview video has me excited. Liza is great hosting as is Marc as the co-host. They have nice chemistry together and I'm a little surprised Marc is on as much as he was here. The two host thing did feel a little odd though, and I hope the toss-up challenges don't take up too much time like the ones on here did.