Author Topic: Most disliked game?  (Read 5264 times)

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Most disliked game?
« on: April 25, 2018, 10:54:11 PM »
Apart from the obvious ones (Stack the Deck and That’s Too Much, which coincidentally happen to be my favorites), which games do you think are universally disliked by fans?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Most disliked game?
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2018, 11:25:19 PM »
Pay the Rent is definitely loathed by just about everyone on this site.

Offline Schfifty

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: April 25, 2018, 11:37:52 PM »
Oh, for sure Pay the Rent. The acrimony towards the game has been around for nearly its whole run.

Lucky $even tends to get a fair bit of dislike as well, particularly in recent years, since it's got a reputation for using some really tough setups (like the $19,987 one just this week).
"I think everybody's weird. We should all celebrate our individuality and not be embarrassed or ashamed of it.”  — Johnny Depp

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2018, 12:16:59 AM »
I feel like Double Prices gets a lot of hate due to it's boring and straight-forward nature.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2018, 08:40:01 AM »
Oh, for sure Pay the Rent. The acrimony towards the game has been around for nearly its whole run.

Lucky $even tends to get a fair bit of dislike as well, particularly in recent years, since it's got a reputation for using some really tough setups (like the $19,987 one just this week).

But then again, the contestant actually won with that setup, so it can bring a sense of accomplishment when you "slay the dragon", and actually it seems like this game is actually being won a bit more often compared to a few years ago. I'd just wish there would be more cars in the $25,000-$35,000 range being offered, since the challenge would be a bit tougher yet with a higher reward, and this includes the popular small crossover SUV segment as well. I've always seen the game as a bit tricky, but winnable if you know how to play.

Pay The Rent unfortunately is something I wouldn't mind, since there are WAY too many bailouts and the purpose of most games is to either go big or go home with nothing. People just don't understand the strategy in terms of ordering the first three levels of items. Temptation is also getting bailout overkill as well.

Among the quickies, I'd say Magic #. The range in price of being winnable has gotten wider, yet it doesn't seem like that many more people win, and are afraid to go higher than $1999.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Ton80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2018, 09:11:43 AM »
I'm not a fan of Pay the Rent, either.  If I were a contestant, however, I'd dance if I got to play it - for one simple reason.

It's nearly a guaranteed $10,000. 

You can place the grocery items wrong a dozen different ways and still make it to the $10k level.

I'm cool with that as a player.
Quote from: PriceFanArmadillo
Ton80 is also a three-time Sarcasm Cup champion.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2018, 11:41:38 AM »
I still, to this day, do not understand the hatred for Pay The Rent.

A good majority of people on this board celebrate LFATs and having adept pricing knowledge, and that's exactly what that game rewards, probably more so than any other pricing game that currently exists--you can't just place the grocery items all willy nilly and expect to win (unless the powers-that-be explicitly set the game up for a win). Yet you all still dunk on it. I'd wager the problem isn't necessarily with the game, but the contestants they get on stage to play it.

Not to mention it's the easiest $10,000 any contestant could win.
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:44:21 AM by RedWing512 »

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2018, 12:03:32 PM »
I think the most hated game IMO is Bullseye (1972). It is the only pricing game to my knowledge without a win 0-5. But everyone has their opinion. I respect everyone else's opinion.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2018, 01:49:12 PM »
I'd wager the problem isn't necessarily with the game, but the contestants they get on stage to play it.

And of course, you wager wrongly.  Your description of Pay the Rent is accurate in theory, but in practice, it's designed to be misunderstood by the contestants and to usually still be very difficult for anyone it doesn't confuse.

Find me a contestant who can reliably win Pay the Rent, and I'll find you Ted.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Off_trak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2018, 02:15:20 PM »
...very difficult for anyone it doesn't confuse.

The game would be won more, and be less frustrating, if contestants were allowed to play it backwards (Safe to Mail box). But then, of course, the top prize would never be $100,000. It's a fine game, just counter-intuitive to most, if not all, of the other games on the show.
"It's a SuperBall prize package worth $11,245!!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2018, 02:50:26 PM »
It's a fine game, just counter-intuitive to most, if not all, of the other games on the show.
Which was probably the entire point.

Offline holein1isawesome

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2018, 03:05:44 PM »
Dice Game gets a bit of hate because of some unfair moments, like people going lower on 5 only for it to be a 6.

Offline RedWing512

• In the Audience
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2018, 07:55:56 PM »
And of course, you wager wrongly.  Your description of Pay the Rent is accurate in theory, but in practice, it's designed to be misunderstood by the contestants and to usually still be very difficult for anyone it doesn't confuse.

Again, that's the point. It's meant to be a difficult game. That's exactly why the payout on it is so big.

And there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. Not every game on the show has to be a dumbed-down, mindless herp-derp. The fact that someone can win big if they pay attention and know their stuff is a plus in my book.

Offline silverice878

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Broadcasting in digital.
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 09:06:02 PM »
For me, it'd have to be Stack The Deck. I honestly cannot remember the last time that game was won.
R.I.P Gerry Rafferty.  R.I.P Doc Watson. R.I.P Chris Economaki. R.I.P Jason Leffler. R.I.P J.J Cale. R.I.P Tim Wilson. R.I.P John Pinette. R.I.P Pete Seeger. R.I.P. Marc Breslow. R.I.P David Bowie. R.I.P. Gregg Allman. R.I.P. Don Williams. R.I.P. Monty Hall. R.I.P. Tom Petty. R.I.P Robert Yates. R.I.P. Cedell Davis. R.I.P. Bud Moore. R.I.P. Hugh Masekela. R.I.P. Norette Brinegar. R.I.P. Bill Daily. R.I.P. Junior Johnson. R.I.P. Neil Peart. R.I.P. Terry Jones. R.I.P. Kobe Bryant. R.I.P. John Andretti

Keep On Rockin' The Free World.

Member of the QSW Club, 9/18/18, and renewed the membership on 12/13/19 (Friday the 13th!)

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 10:13:53 PM »
And there's nothing necessarily wrong with that. Not every game on the show has to be a dumbed-down, mindless herp-derp. The fact that someone can win big if they pay attention and know their stuff is a plus in my book.

So according to you, intentionally designing a game so that contestants will misunderstand it is a good thing? :confused:

(And honestly, I don't believe your description of the other 109 games as being "dumbed down" is accurate, either...but hey, if we're gonna argue about this, we're darn well gonna use your words to do it.)
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.