Author Topic: Most disliked game?  (Read 5306 times)

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
Re: Most disliked game?
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 11:37:52 PM »
Among active pricing games, (Not so) Lucky $even. It's certainly not as extreme as Bullseye '72, though I've become less enthusiastic about guessing random digits without any hints. Yes, the $1,000's digits can be obvious, but the other three digits are just...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 11:43:10 PM by mechamind »
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2018, 12:28:22 AM »
I was going to rant on Switcheroo, but then I read the question again. (Cliffnote version: 80% of the contestants ignore 4/5 of the game to do POE to get to the car, and this game ticks me off the most out of all other games that have similar POE elements.)

Rent, Stack, TTM! (I like it too, just don't play it for an Aston Martin with $3k increments), L7 nowadays, and, honestly, Pick-A-Number. 10/10 way to celebrate a 4,000th episode by introducing a quickie that has in the past been literally "guess the last number". Now, it's more tame with the thousands digit, but still.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline SanAnMan

• In Contestant's Row
  • Always look on the bright side of life.
« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2018, 12:56:18 PM »
I know it's not universally disliked, but besides Stacky, the other game I can't stand too much is Plinko. I know it's probably one of the most popular games in the lineup right now from a contestant's perspective, but it is so badly played and all too often wins them next to nothing. I still consider the special "All Plinko" episode one of the worst ever, 6 playings of the game and none with even one middle slot hit.

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2018, 01:05:27 PM »
I know it's not universally disliked, but besides Stacky, the other game I can't stand too much is Plinko. I know it's probably one of the most popular games in the lineup right now from a contestant's perspective, but it is so badly played and all too often wins them next to nothing. I still consider the special "All Plinko" episode one of the worst ever, 6 playings of the game and none with even one middle slot hit.

Same. Plinko is the last game I would ever want to play if I get on stage.

In terms of universally disliked, hasn't the audience groaned before when the Clock Game comes around on the turntable? It's a personal favorite of mine, but I seem to remember that mentioned somewhere on here.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2018, 04:11:33 PM »
There's a strategy to winning Pay the Rent, but that's another story.
Nonetheless, I can say that I am not fond of That's Too Much!; I hardly ever see anybody win that game nowadays...
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline ShootingDio

• In the Audience
  • I can explain.
« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2018, 06:39:29 PM »
It's in the Bag. The most infuriating thing was painful bailouts (stopped at $8k) and should they went on, they would've gotten the full win, but it hasn't been since 2015.

Offline WOF85

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2018, 05:10:57 PM »

I'm with you.  The other problem is that game is so luck based that it can punish a smart player and reward a dumb player.  A person can earn all 5 chips and get nothing while a dumb play can botch the first half and get 10k.  And Plinko has the longest losing record on the show. (At least Bullseye I was sent to the Pricing Game Old Folks Home early on.)

I actually find Pay The Rent to be a great game.  I wish they would set it so the products allow no more than 3 winnable combinations, as it should be a challenge to win the top prize.  But any real fan of the show will typically have a better shot, as they know what NOT to do when playing it.

Stack the Deck: Is decent in my book. 

Lucky $even: While interesting sufferers a lot of ugly manipulation. 

That's Too Much: While exciting at first it's lost its luster through the years.  Despite frequent play it's not often won and its set is ugly to boot.

« Last Edit: April 28, 2018, 05:13:23 PM by WOF85 »
Plinko is the worst game the show ever made.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #22 on: May 06, 2018, 03:24:15 PM »
10 Chances, if you forget the zero rule. The ideal playing would require no more than two chances to get the first prize, and no more than six chances to get the second. But then, you'd only have four chances left for the car, and that can be downright frustrating if it ever had to come to that. I'd prefer that a player get at least five or six chances for the car.

Offline Teddy

• Double Showcase Winner
  • One of the great multitaskers on G-R.net!
« Reply #23 on: May 06, 2018, 05:54:05 PM »
10 Chances, if you forget the zero rule. The ideal playing would require no more than two chances to get the first prize, and no more than six chances to get the second. But then, you'd only have four two chances left for the car, and that can be downright frustrating if it ever had to come to that. I'd prefer that a player get at least five or six chances for the car.
Make that two chances for the car, since 6+2=8. But it still gets frustrating.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2018, 08:16:40 PM »
But any real fan of the show will typically have a better shot, as they know what NOT to do when playing it.

I consider myself a real fan of the show... and if I someday have the good fortune to play Pay the Rent, I know what I'm doing. Line 'em up highest to lowest and collect the easiest $10,000 the show offers.

Sure, I may have a better idea of the prices than your average Joe, but you're saying I have to give up a free $10,000, just for a tiiiiiny chance at playing for $100,000, knowing I'll hardly have any room for error?

That choice is easy like Sunday Morning.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: May 07, 2018, 08:33:29 PM »
Stack the Deck: Is decent in my book. 

Yes... unlike Pay the Rent, the poor record of Stack the Deck is the fault of the contestants.  This game is not complicated.  If you sweep the small prizes and select the appropriate freebies (the last three digits), you basically have a 1-in-3 chance of winning.  Not fantastic odds, but pretty reasonable for a car game.

Any contestant who asks to be given the first number in the price, ought to be taken to the Farmer's Market and publicly flogged.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 14, 2018, 04:06:33 PM »
I'd say the game I most personally dislike is Secret "X". A contestant can play the game perfectly and still not win the main prize offered. Also, before the Bonus Game board was digitized and its classic turntable reveal eliminated, I used to dislike seeing it even more because that meant Bonus would not be played that day (both are small prize games). Bonus was one of my favorites until those changes were made.   

Offline rowlande

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2018, 07:45:51 AM »
for me its pay the rent. Stack the Deck was won pretty often during its first season in the rotation back in season 35

Offline dmaingame

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2018, 11:59:16 PM »
That's Too Much! 

Offline PIRfanSince72

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2018, 05:24:47 PM »
That's Too Much!, Stack The Deck (even though I love that there's two elements of pricing to the game, just too difficult to win as it is currently), Coming or Going...

Most disliked retired game: On The Spot