Poll

What is your favorite version of Match Game?

Match Game 73-79 (CBS)
27 (64.3%)
Match Game PM (Syndication)
5 (11.9%)
Match Game 79-82 (Syndication)
1 (2.4%)
Match Game 90 (Syndication)
4 (9.5%)
Match Game 98 (Syndication)
0 (0%)
Match Game 16-present (ABC)
4 (9.5%)
The Match Game (NBC)
0 (0%)
The Match Game-Hollywood Squares Hour (NBC)
1 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 42

Author Topic: Favorite version of Match Game  (Read 6513 times)

Offline tpirsuperfan99

• In the Audience
Favorite version of Match Game
« on: May 04, 2018, 08:25:45 PM »
I have seen every version of Match Game now, and here is what I think of them

Match Game 73-79 - Easily the best version of Match Game, so much fun. I love Charles, Brett, and Richard and their chemistry. Too bad it started to struggle toward the end with the stupid Star Wheel, I liked the idea of doubling money, but I liked the pick-a-star format better, and this was what drove Richard away, and he was one of my favorite panelists. Still though, it is my favorite version.

Match Game PM - Really just the same as 73-79, still good, not much else to say.

Match Game 79-82 - I was glad that  snow was brought back into Syndication after it got cancelled. I wish they had allowed returning champions for this version, the stupid Star Wheel bugged me though still.

Match Game 90 - This version was extremely underrated, and I thought Ross was a good host, but Bert Convy would have made this version last longer. It was nice seeing Brett and Charles again, but they should have had Richard back, but seeing what happened to him, I’m not surprised he didn’t want to come back.

Match Game 98 - This version sucks, I am just going to say it. I hated Michael Burger, and it didn’t feel like Match Game at all. I hated the set, the music, even the panelists most of the time. This version went off the air really quick, and it was no surprise.

Match Game 16 - I like Alec Baldwin, I love his impersonation of Donald Trump on SNL, but he doesn’t really fit on Match Game. It feels really scripted and forced at some times. I do like that they brought back the classic theme. This version isn’t bad, but it’s not great.

So what is your favorite version of Match Game?

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Favorite version of Match Game
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 09:30:46 PM »
What about the 60s version, or the MGHS Hour?

Offline tpirsuperfan99

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 10:11:06 PM »
What about the 60s version, or the MGHS Hour?
Those have been added to the poll.

Offline geniusinmath

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi I didn't see you there. I'm Michael.
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2018, 12:08:31 AM »
I am more for the 70s version myself. I thought it was the funniest one of the bunch.

Offline howierules86

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2018, 07:11:59 AM »
I voted for Match Game 90 (which was actually for ABC daytime), because I thought Ross Shafer did a great job, and I personally liked the set and that you could actually play for money in the main game.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2018, 11:52:10 AM »
I agree the show was at its peak in the 73-79 years, but I did like the Star Wheel. Richard getting chosen almost every time was super repetitive. The wheel at least involved the other celebs more and added the doubled money possibility. I don't mind the current version not using it though since the celebrities are different every episode.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2018, 08:00:25 PM »
The time slot meant nothing and no one could have helped Match Game 1990. That said, it was a solid effort, and well done overall (not a big fan of the match up round myself, but whatever).

I have no problem saying I liked the 98 version conceptually. Only Judy Tenuta and Nell Carter grated on me periodically, but there were plenty of recurring guests in the original that I never found amusing or got the "love" for.

I thoroughly enjoy the current version (also some celebs...cough Niecey Nash....who I'd just as soon never see again).

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: May 06, 2018, 09:23:05 PM »
My favorite version is Match Game 73-79, The show was fun, i love the panel.

Match Game 79-82- The show started showing its age it got boring and Gene sometimes looked bored. I didn't mind the star wheel.

Match Game 90 - I agree its a underrated version, Ross was an okay host i would love to see how it would turn out if Bert did hosted it.

Match Game 98 - I hated that version, it sucked i hated the question writing.

Match Game 16-  It's okay they try too hard sometimes and it feels scripted. Cue Card Alec isn't the right person for the show. The Canadian version has a way lower budget but i enjoy it more.

Offline someguy23475

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: May 07, 2018, 04:40:43 AM »
Other than Match Up, Match Game 90 just didn’t feel right with Ross Shafer hosting. He just didn’t seem to be involved in the comedy as much as Gene was. Bert would have been much better, but of course that was not meant to be sadly. I don’t know who else was available.

98 was just awful. Ugly set, very annoying celebrities especially Judy Tenuta, and the second round counts double rule made it a bad show.

Alec Baldwin is way too smug and not funny at all, so the current version is unwatchable too.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2018, 12:07:57 AM »

Match Game '73-'79. Few times has there been as good of a match of game and host. The Star Wheel honestly didn't bother me; I know most people like to paint Dawson as the "victim" of the wheel, but let's be honest: by the time the wheel was introduced, he was clearly not that interested in being there any longer. For me, the show was really in its prime from about 1975 to 1978-ish.

The ABC version was okay...the '98 version was horrendous.

And I agree that while it's nice to have 'Match Game' back on the air, Baldwin seems far too scripted.

I just wish they'd go back to the 70's version of the theme -- in terms of the structure of the music, not the actual 70s cue. The 70s version eliminated a "stanza" and that's the only version that sounds "right" to me.

Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2018, 10:38:49 AM »
The 1960s Match Game from what exists seemed to be decent for its era, but just would seem too boring nowadays, basically with the classic Family Feud questions with only two stars instead of six.

Match Game '73-'79. Few times has there been as good of a match of game and host. The Star Wheel honestly didn't bother me; I know most people like to paint Dawson as the "victim" of the wheel, but let's be honest: by the time the wheel was introduced, he was clearly not that interested in being there any longer. For me, the show was really in its prime from about 1975 to 1978-ish.

I'd say the second half of '74 was also part of its prime, as this is when Brett first used the "How __ is s/he?" joke and the show became the top rated show on daytime TV. The addition of Tattletales also gave it a nice companion. Too bad Charles was out for about six months in late '74 and early '75, but it gave other guests a chance. PM was a nice supplement much like nighttime Feud was during its early days before it became a daily syndicated show, although the first season feels a bit too slow paced. I actually felt that when the daily syndicated version premiered, they should have had cancelled PM and incorporate the PM format on each episode instead of the two game, two question format.

I'd still say that MGHS is the sleeper, since the HS part of the hour was inferior with the multiple choice questions leading to a lack of jokes. But even with Brett/Charles not often on the panel, the stars still seemed to know what to do. MG90 is what it is, not the best, but not the worst either.

I was disappointed from day one when I saw the '98 version, especially after watching classics on GSN for several months by then, knowing that only five celebrities, mindless banter, a rather unimpressive set, the point system, and cheap for '98 grand prize definitely felt that it should have been better served if GSN picked it up. I still don't like it for the same reasons as Card Sharks 2001 and Temptation: The New Sale of the Century.

Baldwin is a bit like 1990 in terms of being somewhere in the middle, but I do like the set and the return of the classic gameplay structure, although the host tends to try a bit too hard and the celebrities are a mixed bag.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 11:47:28 AM »
Have to agree with most that the 70s daytime version was the very best incarnation; everything just jelled perfectly between the talent, and the gameplay was just right for the format. 

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 12:09:23 PM »
I liked MG/HS hour i wish Gene would of hosted the whole hour or they should of found someone who mesh well with Gene. Jon wasn't a good host and i hated the MG question writing.

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2018, 09:40:51 PM »
PM. All about that $20K.

I would have mentioned MG/HS, but its $30K top prize can't make up for the bad execution.

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2018, 12:47:58 PM »
The 70s, for sure, has my vote.

I could give my vote to the present-day version on ABC, which is just as good, but the political bias they've got is a serious turn-off when they should be focusing on the game than politics. (sorry mods if that comment is not allowed)
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!